Celebrity jerks?

Just curious anyone ever meet STAN LEE? I can only imagine hes an upright cool dude...I mean he only has like a billion fans....I get to meet and greet with him at Ohios Wonder Con this year...cost me $300 but I get to have a lunchin and the meet and greet with him and I am sooo super pumped :)

Just curious anyone ever meet STAN LEE? I can only imagine hes an upright cool dude...I mean he only has like a billion fans....I get to meet and greet with him at Ohios Wonder Con this year...cost me $300 but I get to have a lunchin and the meet and greet with him and I am sooo super pumped :)

I was Stan's handler during his appearance at Emerald City ComiCon a few years ago and he was absolutely amazing. His manager... not so much. Stan himself is an utter sweetheart and he'll talk your ear off if he gets an opening. :)

Met Stan twice. I had a photo op with him at the calgary comic & entertainmenmt expo in 2012 really nice shook his had, and after the pic was snapped he said good job with a big grin. Really nice guy, but they were just rifling people through the line up. Not his fault, he had a line up which was bigger than all other guests.

I met him again at the 2013 calgary comic & entertainmenmt expo and had autographs done. His people were pushing the line through quickly (again, he had one of the biggest if not the biggest line ups at the con). As he was signing my books, I mentioned that it was good to see him again as I met him the previous year. He paused looked up and said thanks for coming back. He seemed quite genuwine and nice. both times.

I was speaking with one of the comic artists at the con and he had nice things to say about Stan as well.

Last edited:
Why? Just curious..

Both Christopher Lloyd and Bruce Boxleitner worked with Jeff Conaway at different points in his career. Conaway was also a known drug addict (it's what killed him in the end, I think), but I imagine each could tell some interesting stories about him as a costar. Lloyd worked with him on Taxi, and Boxleitner worked with him on Babylon 5.

The positive to the whole thing was that I got to hang out with Tom Savini (again) for the majority of the convention.

I went to college in Pittsburgh and he often showed up as a guest speaker. When he'd see me he'd invite me over to his house.... every time. I never went, tough now I kind of wish I did.

Yeah, a lot of guys are like that.. not particularly fond of the roles that made them famous, preferring their other, more obscure work as examples of the art. Christopher Lloyd and Tom Wilson of BTTF are both like that (especially Tom).

Makes sense if you think about it. Imagine its like your family, aunties and uncles and things. They might tell everyone about things you've achieved, your degree or whatever it would be, and you're proud of it too, but it wouldn't be the first thing you'd talk about with your mates, or the second, or the third. A lot of actors are constantly working, from set to set and film to film. That three months they worked on X or Y cult classic might just be part of their memories of that particular year. So many factors!

Then you've got guys like Anthony Ainley, who played the Master in Doctor Who. He was wealthy and didn't need to act, but he loved the character and just did that. By all accounts he sort of thought he was the master in real life too! It should be sad, but it's actually kinda sweet.

have any of your all met any Next Generation cast members? I plan on driving from NY to Boston in 2 weeks to meet them. Most worried about is Frakes since I consider him my Beard mentor lol.

have any of your all met any Next Generation cast members? I plan on driving from NY to Boston in 2 weeks to meet them. Most worried about is Frakes since I consider him my Beard mentor lol.

Frakes is a great guy. Ran into him in (I think) Phoenix in 1997. I was traveling, hustling for grants, and was in like my ninth city in ten days so honestly it might have been San Diego- every hotel looked the same by then. He was waiting for a car and I was checking in. I looked at him, said "Johnathon Frakes?" He looked at me rather sternly and said "Do I know you?" I told him the only thing that came to my mind "You should." He laughed and asked why? we ended up chatting for like five minutes before his car and driver showed up. The people I met with later that day didn't give me a grant and neither did he.

I ran into Patrick Stewart about a year later in an elevator on my way to a presentation in LA. I glanced at him, smiled, and he immediately got this look on his face that was like "Oh, God, another one." I looked at him and said "I loved you in Wild Geese II." He laughed so I said "How'd that Star Trek thing work out?" "Not as well as I hoped." was his reply.

I've met Erik Estrada twice. The first time I was like ten years old- he was at the Black and White Ball in Denver in like 1979. The second was five years ago at a farmers market and the butt hole didn't remember meeting me. Actually, he was real cool both times. I think my mom still has the picture from when I was ten on her refrigerator.

ETA- My wife just pointed out that it was at least ten years ago when I met Erik Estrada for the second time. I think I need to go order her some flowers. She read this over my shoulder and asked me about meeting him five years ago and not telling her about it. I told her she was there- ummmm- no she wasn't. I was with the girl I was dating before I met the woman who would become my incredibly beautiful wife (yes she is still standing behind me).

Last edited:

Patrick Stewart - Very nice and polite but EVERYONE wants to meet him so it's kind of a rushed experience.
Jonathan Frakes - Really nice guy when I met him.
Levar Burton - Takes time to chat with everyone both times I met him. Nice guy with a very quick wit.
Brent Spiner - I've heard horror stories but he was very nice with me. We talked Night Court. :) Mention his audio drama and he'll love you for it.
Gates McFadden - Nice, but a little brisk. When I met her she had recently had surgery I think so that may have made her a little less open.
Marina Sirtis - Clearly loves her fans and is very kind. Great personality.
Michael Dorn - Nice, but not talkative at all.

Wil Weaton - Didn't meet him but have never heard someone with a bad experience. :thumbsup

I ran into Patrick Stewart about a year later in an elevator on my way to a presentation in LA. I glanced at him, smiled, and he immediately got this look on his face that was like "Oh, God, another one." I looked at him and said "I loved you in Wild Geese II." He laughed so I said "How'd that Star Trek thing work out?" "Not as well as I hoped." was his reply.

BRILLIANT. I tend to figure if you can cite to some more obscure part that the actor has played (e.g. Leondegrance in Excalibur, Gurney Halleck in Dune, Sejanus in I, Claudius, or Lenin in Fall of Eagles), they appreciate it more than just the bog standard "OMG PROFESSOR XAVIER!!!" thing. I tend to think it shows you're a fan if you're familiar with their broader body of work, and it may give them an opportunity to talk about one of the more interesting roles they've played.

I called into a radio show that Stewart was on, right around the time that ST: Nemesis was coming out (ugh). I wanted to ask him about whether he still tours to do things like Shakespeare in the park, and describe an experience I had waiting for tickets to see The Tempest in Central Park around 1995. I didn't get in, unfortunately. But I did convince the guy busking with his flute to play some Jethro Tull. The radio station just left me on hold, though, and I never got to speak to him about it. They only really wanted folks doing Star Trek questions, since I guess he was doing press stuff for Nemesis. I figured if I caught him on a decent day, I might get a laugh out of him for the story. Maybe not. Ah well.

Jonathan Frakes - Really nice guy when I met him.
Does he ACTUALLY play jazz trumpet? Or was that just on the show? He's done a bunch of directing, too, so I'd figure mentioning that would be appreciated.

Levar Burton - Takes time to chat with everyone both times I met him. Nice guy with a very quick wit.
It's hard to picture the host of Reading Rainbow being a jerk.

Brent Spiner - I've heard horror stories but he was very nice with me. We talked Night Court. :) Mention his audio drama and he'll love you for it.
Don't forget his Youtube series, and his singing ("Ol' Yellow Eyes is Back").

Gates McFadden - Nice, but a little brisk. When I met her she had recently had surgery I think so that may have made her a little less open.
That'd do it, yeah. Unfortunately, I've never seen her in anything else. I hear she's a trained dancer, though.

Marina Sirtis - Clearly loves her fans and is very kind. Great personality.
.....Is that a euphemism? ;)

Clearly type-cast, then, as Worf.

Wil Weaton - Didn't meet him but have never heard someone with a bad experience. :thumbsup
Honestly, everything I've heard or read about him, it just makes me think that he's really one of the fans himself. He sees himself as no different, really, than anyone on the other side of the table, and I think that's the central thing that separates him from a lot of other former child stars and people who work the con circuit. It's also part of the reason why I think fans respond so well to him in spite of him having portrayed an almost universally loathed character. He just seems like one of the gang, ya know? Like you really could just sit down and geek out with him, and he'd be genuinely as enthusiastic as any other geek out there. Maybe moreso.

:thumbsup

Depends on the topic. The head IT guy at my work was waiting for his plane (don't ask how our IT guy affords to travel on private planes) and was looking at pamphlets for turbo props. Michael Dorn walked in and sat down and after a few minutes moved over next to our IT guy and said "how do you like (whatever pamphlet he was looking at). Long story short they ended up making both of their private planes wait while they talked aircraft for an hour or so. The IT guy shows up in our office a few days later and I'm talking to him (I'm into planes as well and we'd talked about his interest in buying a turboprop) he says some actor named Mitchell Dorn told me he didn't like the cockpit on the ______ thought it was too cramped and didn't have a good field of view. Although he said it wasn't as cramped as his F-86. I said; "You mean Michael Dorn?" "Yea, that's it. Said he'd been on Star Trek. I never watched it though."

Met Patrick Stewart at last year's Wizard World in Chicago. All around nice guy, but his handlers, not so much. He understands that his enormous celebrity status comes from being Picard and Professor X but he definitely loves to talk (if given the chance) about other things he has done. I brought up the Funny Or Die skit he did for the Olympics and he just let out a laugh and gave a thumbs up.

[video]http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/730c[/video]

Met Patrick Stewart at last year's Wizard World in Chicago. he definitely loves to talk (if given the chance) about other things he has done.

He'll always be Gurney Halleck to me. Not sure how much he likes to be remembered for that.
Another great movie he was in... Life Force.

Met Gates McFadden very briefly many many years ago. She was... reserved, I guess would be the best word. She was nice, but not really outgoing. I got the impression she's just a quiet, private kind of person and not really into being the center of attention for a whole convention full of people (it was a small convention, and she was the only cast member there). She was friendly and polite, though, not brusque or unpleasant in any way. And attractive as hell to boot. ;)

Both Frakes and Spiner were fantastic when they were here for ECCC. The night before the show started, a bunch of con staff were at the restaurant in the hotel and we noticed Brent and Jonathan having dinner. Being respectful, we didn't bother them, but as they were on their way out, THEY stopped and talked to US, thanking us for bringing them in and expressing how much they were looking forward to the show. It was such a cool moment and it's one of my favorites of working at the con.

I'd love a chance to talk shop with Frakes. As a young trombone player I LOVED that my favorite Star Trek personality really played!

Whatever you do, just don't play pool with that man! We played for drinks once, and that's all the family-friendly censors on this board will allow me to post! ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back