Captain America Shield - The Winter Soldier

The inspiration behind this paintwork is the promotional poster for Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It features simply a heavily abused shield and the image has been stuck in my head for the following 7 years since the theatrical release.
View attachment 1495342

Eventually I decided I NEED to bring it into material form and get it out of my system.

Last year I attempted to acquire a raw shield from two of the leading metal shield makers in the US, but they refused to ship to Singapore. So I resorted to ordering one from a maker in Shenzhen, China and it was sufficiently acceptable as a canvas. It's made out of aluminium alloy and weighs 5kg!

View attachment 1495343
View attachment 1495344

A great deal of masking was employed in varying stages to achieve the base colors and chipped paint effect.
View attachment 1495345
View attachment 1495346
View attachment 1495347
View attachment 1495348

To achieve the chipped red paint, I used tape to mask off the broad areas and refined the shapes with latex mask.
View attachment 1495349
View attachment 1495350
View attachment 1495351

This was followed by layers of weathering passes with water-based acrylics and oils. The end result is (I hope) a shield wielded by the leader of The Avengers and that has endured countless battles against nefarious foes.
View attachment 1495352
View attachment 1495353
View attachment 1495354
how did you get the slight colour change in the silver and what paint did you use

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back