Captain America Shield Star Dimension

Btw, TheCap, I've said this before, and I'll say it again, your shield by far has the sweetest paint job over any Captain America shield ever made, including the actual movie ones in my opinion. It's just superb and all sorts of awesome in every way.

Those are based off the flat dimensions from what I've been told. yes it is from Miami, I contacted several shops in the bay area here in CA and they wanted nearly $300! So this was a great deal, along with purchasing valor's star, this would be fantastic for any builder out there who wants to go with either a 10" star or 8" star, I'm trying to help them get a basis for both builds. They are charging me extra for the new dimensions, but I figure it'll help others in the long run. I currently have 4 IM helmets, lol now just need 4-5 different Cap shields.

awesome, yeah, they charge more because they have to do a new set up. That is typical. Yeah, spinning shops use to be common, and now they are very hard to come by. Those guys in Miami, and one other shop in Alabama have pretty reasonable prices and both are run by great people.

Hmmm, simple math maybe? if the shield is 26" that leaves 6 equal divisions for the rings (3 rings on each side of the 10 inch center). So, for a 26" shield with a 10" center, take 26-10=16. 16 divided by 6 = 2.66. That would mean each ring is 2.66" wide. For a 24" shield with a 10" center (like mine) each ring would be 2.33" wide. ... Can you believe I failed High School math??

Those working off a diameter that would mean a carved ring would exist on a 26" shield at 10" 15.32" and 20.64" .... if you're really picky :)

Perfect timing for this thread, Valor. I just got my shield earlier today and as much as I love it, I just couldn't help but stare at how small I felt my center star was. Here it is
fc9157d525f9765d0d0abcd15a913fa39bf809f.jpg

I think I'm gonna start on another shield and will be going with a larger center. I was thinking 9.5" myself, but that 10" one looks spot on to how I think it looks in person. Now, I just have to alter my outer rings as well.

May I please ask who made this shield? It's a beauty.

For those looking at a 9 3/4" inner circle. I was thinking with a 26" diameter, you can do outer ring 3", middle ring 2-3/4", and a inner ring 2-1/2" from the 9 3/4" circle. Still on debate between 9.5" to 10" star, I really wish I could just get a hold of a screen 26" version lol.

Hmmm, simple math maybe? if the shield is 26" that leaves 6 equal divisions for the rings (3 rings on each side of the 10 inch center). So, for a 26" shield with a 10" center, take 26-10=16. 16 divided by 6 = 2.66. That would mean each ring is 2.66" wide. For a 24" shield with a 10" center (like mine) each ring would be 2.33" wide. ... Can you believe I failed High School math??

Those working off a diameter that would mean a carved ring would exist on a 26" shield at 10" 15.32" and 20.64" .... if you're really picky :)

Keep in mind, since the shield is not flat, this would lead to the out ring being wider due it being at a steeper angle to the flat dimension. However, it's pretty close.

For those looking at a 9 3/4" inner circle. I was thinking with a 26" diameter, you can do outer ring 3", middle ring 2-3/4", and a inner ring 2-1/2" from the 9 3/4" circle. Still on debate between 9.5" to 10" star, I really wish I could just get a hold of a screen 26" version lol.

If those are flat dimensions, I wouldn't make the outer ring that much wider. It appears the rings are really close in width, if not the same. So from a top "flat" view, the outer ring will appear to have the shortest width.

I think for the 26" the most accurate star size is just about directly inbetween 10 and 9.75.

You seem to be taking this personally instead of the intent, which is to try to discuss what is movie accurate, and what isn't. My apologies if I am misunderstanding you there.

I believe the star proportion on my shields is movie accurate. However, the back of my shields are not movie accurate (that will be the next run starting in a few days) and the star is still mounted on top, rather than embedded, which isn't movie accurate either.

Again, the purpose here, and before, was to discuss what is movie accurate and what isn't. The purpose is not to point fingers at anyone, claim anyone is wrong, or bash other's designs.

well sure why wouldnt i take it kind of personally it's my design thats being ridiculed, i dont see anyone saying that your 9.5" center is off so yes i do take some offense to the topic. and if the purpose is not to point fingers or say who is or isnt wrong, then why was the 8" the focus? and not just a general assumption of anything less than 10" see the difference?

guess i'm getting to sensitive in my old age lol *gotta make sure the wife doesnt see that comment*

Last edited:
Btw, TheCap, I've said this before, and I'll say it again, your shield by far has the sweetest paint job over any Captain America shield ever made, including the actual movie ones in my opinion. It's just superb and all sorts of awesome in every way.

tyvm, i appreciate it, i guess the saying rings true, you get what you pay for lol.

well sure why wouldnt i take it kind of personally it's my design thats being ridiculed, i dont see anyone saying that your 9.5" center is off so yes i do take some offense to the topic. and if the purpose is not to point fingers or say who is or isnt wrong, then why was the 8" the focus? and not just a general assumption of anything less than 10" see the difference?

guess i'm getting to sensitive in my old age lol *gotta make sure the wife doesnt see that comment*

lol.

Again, no need to take it personally, it's not an attack on you. The 8" was brought up because it was questioned wether it was accurate to the movie design, because the debate is "what is movie accurate". That was all. As you pointed out, you never claimed it was accurate, but the person who started this thread is just trying to figure out what is accurate, and that is the debate.

I am actually gald this subject is being brought up. I would like to get one of these sheilds eventually and screen accuracy is THE deciding factor for me. I have not followed any of the other build threads. Honestly i am not a big super hero fan BUT after watching Captain America the other night this is the first that really sparks my interest. Very cool costume. What this thread needs is screencaps of the different size shields used throughout the movie. Does he have a bigger one when he is holding it in his hand and a smaller one when it is on his back? Are the stars proportioned the same regardless of shield size or are there some sheilds with smaller stars and some with bigger stars? Excuse my ignorance but this seems to be the place to ask rather than anyones build thread.

GAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!! STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT !

Please Chris and Cap ... I like you both. You both brilliant builders .... And you both have insight to share. Pleeeease don't turn on each other in my thread!!!! I was afraid to start this thread for exactly this reason. Please, .... pretty please lets all talk nice.

GAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!! STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT !

Please Chris and Cap ... I like you both. You both brilliant builders .... And you both have insight to share. Pleeeease don't turn on each other in my thread!!!! I was afraid to start this thread for exactly this reason. Please, .... pretty please lets all talk nice.

lol, exactly, if you read my posts, I am trying to explain that this is not what what the thread is about. No one should be taking anything personally. This is a search for screen accuracy.

I am actually gald this subject is being brought up. I would like to get one of these sheilds eventually and screen accuracy is THE deciding factor for me. I have not followed any of the other build threads. Honestly i am not a big super hero fan BUT after watching Captain America the other night this is the first that really sparks my interest. Very cool costume. What this thread needs is screencaps of the different size shields used throughout the movie. Does he have a bigger one when he is holding it in his hand and a smaller one when it is on his back? Are the stars proportioned the same regardless of shield size or are there some sheilds with smaller stars and some with bigger stars? Excuse my ignorance but this seems to be the place to ask rather than anyones build thread.

It appears the magnetic ones on his back are actually flatter, less domed, than the hero ones or the stunt ones. The CG ones seem to be the most domed, like the one that stuck in the doorway. The stunt rubber ones seem to be the smaller ones, but these are educated guesses from watching the film, behind the scenes stuff, and talking to folks who were on set and held them in person. The star appears to be the same proportion no matter what size the shield is.

so i was thinking, wouldnt the screen prop be made from steel? since aluminum has no magnetic properties it would have to be steel right? or i guess they could mount something on the prop that was metal so that the magnet worked

I doubt it's steel. Weight would be an issue. Although the idea that my saucer sled is even more screen accurate is kinda appealing :)

so i was thinking, wouldnt the screen prop be made from steel? since aluminum has no magnetic properties it would have to be steel right? or i guess they could mount something on the prop that was metal so that the magnet worked

They actually put some neodymium magnets on the underside of an aluminum and plastic shield, and some on the belt. They also left the arm straps off. No steel shield.

Here is an insteresting shot. When looked at straight on the shadows make it look like the center and middle ring is raised but not in the side view.

DSC06749Large.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back