Captain America rescue helmet.

Zombie Killer

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I figured i'd do something while watching the Band of Brothers mini series last weekend. I had a Vietnam M1 helmet but once i removed the camo covering and checked the markings i realized it was a WW2 Schulter helmet with a standard nam liner. Decided it would be a good base for a CA rescue helmet. I thought the hardest part would be matching up the paint. The screenused piece has an odd blue that looks almost black in very low light but is pretty much a pastel dark blue when lit well. Went to Lowes and found this Valspar Satin Indigo Streamer paint #85029. I have to say, i never thought it would look this good. Especially out of a can. I also bought some Valspar Satin White #85001 for the 'A'. Hardest part was scaling the 'A' and getting it on the helmet straight. Not sure i got it perfectly straight but it's OK. I ended up putting the helmet on and doing it in the mirror. Also gave it a final Testors dull coat to kill the semi gloss.
I also bought a "parachutist" liner on the bay. It's a 1983 vintage but will do. The real WW2 para liners are over $200 and more than i want to pay. I may just bleach the 83 OD liner webbing and dye it tan. Still waiting for it to come in. I am very happy with it so far. First 4 pics are what i used for reference and last pics are my helmet.

DSC06927Large.jpg

DSC06929Large.jpg

DSC06933Large.jpg

DSC06954Large.jpg

IMG_0670Large.jpg

IMG_0674Large.jpg

IMG_0684Large.jpg

IMG_0693Large.jpg

Helmet2.jpg

Thanks. Yes i plan on it, but they are expensive so it may be awhile. That is one reason i don't mind if the A is a tiny bit crooked. Once the goggles are on it they will hide most of it anyways.

Did you even read what he said?

I sure did. He said "a can". That could mean spray can or gallon can. I'm just looking for some clarification.

The item number given doesn't match the Indigo Streamer colour i find on the Valspar website, and i don't see a place where they list their spray can colours.

ZK:
What sort of prep did you do before painting? Did you just wash it best you could with dishsoap, and give it a primer? Did you just paint the satin white over the blue? I would be afraid of a blue that dark showing through - or did it take two coats of white?

I've got the helmet and paint, but I'm really still new to painting - I'm hoping mine turns out as well as yours.

Thanks,
Alex

Your helmet looks outstanding and the color is a dead-on ringer. I wish I had researched colors a bit more before coloring my M-1. Great job!

Thanks guys, it will probably get redone though in the next couple weeks

Alex, i just washed it in warm soap and water and then wiped it down with alcohol. I did not use a primer although i probably should have. Once i painted the blue i let it dry for about a week before laying down the white. It took a few coats of white but it covered the blue pretty easily. The hardest part is getting the 'A' straight and centered. Mine is slightly off and i may give it a very light sandblasting and just repaint the whole helmet when i mod my new liner. I hate crooked stuff like that. The size and shape look good to me though.

I have since bought a newer paratrooper liner for this but the newer liners are a little bit bigger than the old helmets. Not too big to fit in the helmet but a little too deep so it hangs out the bottom a little. I need to trim the bottom so it isn't sticking out of it. I will update this thread when i do it. Probably next week.

Could you repost the photos of your helmet? I am looking to make my own helmet and have had trouble getting the right colors. Thanks!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back