Captain America AGE OF ULTRON costume build 2014

akprice44

Hey everyone! I just wanted to start this thread to introduce myself and share a build that I just finished up. I completed my costume in time for Halloween, but I wanted to backtrack and share a little bit of my build as well as the final outcome.

I haven't yet seen any other completed Captain America Age of Ultron suits, so I'm ecstatic that I may be the first to have one! Hope that I did it justice!

I was lucky enough to be in Cleveland and have access to numerous spy shots of Cap's Age of Ultron suit as the movie was being filmed, so I tried to be as accurate as possible.This is also my first true replica costume(I made a foam-based Iron Man Mark VI last year, but it wasn't very high quality), so there was a lot of trial and error, but I am very happy with the results. I'll start off with a few images of my completed suit and then I'll backtrack as I gather in-progress images and describe my process a little bit!

entry3.jpgentry1.jpgentry4.jpgentry2.jpg

Attachments

• belt3rpf.jpg
    belt3rpf.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 178
  • belt1rpf.jpg
    belt1rpf.jpg
    657.8 KB · Views: 172
  • belt2rpf.jpg
    belt2rpf.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 161
  • belt4rpf.jpg
    belt4rpf.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 159
  • straps1rpf.jpg
    straps1rpf.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 155
  • straps2rpf.jpg
    straps2rpf.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 164
  • gloves1rpf.jpg
    gloves1rpf.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 167
  • helmetfinal.jpg
    helmetfinal.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 169
  • helmetfinal2.jpg
    helmetfinal2.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Here area few more detail shots of the finished costume!

Also, pictured in two of the pics is my awesome girlfriend's Winter Soldier costume. (I believe she will be making a thread for it in the near future).

ALSO, I apologize for the rotated pics. They are fine on my laptop, but for some reason they are uploading like this. If anyone knows how to easily fix it, please let me know!

Attachments

• P1012193.JPG
    P1012193.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 202
  • P1012194.JPG
    P1012194.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 208
  • P1012187.JPG
    P1012187.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 225
  • P1012185.JPG
    P1012185.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 304
Ok, to the process.... I apologize, but I have lost most of the photos I had taken along the way!

Starting off this build, I used various spy shots from the filming of the Avengers 2 - Age of Ultron, but started with the photos below. These are all over the internet, and you can find higher res versions of them on Google images just by searching Captain America Age of Ultron

View attachment 400085View attachment 400084View attachment 400083View attachment 400086

Last edited:
The very first thing that I did was(with the help of my girlfriend) use plaster and gauze to make a cast of my torso to build the costume on.

P1011991.JPG

I based the basic torso pattern off of a fitted button-up shirt, and then cut and re-sewed the lines that allow the chest to take its form. I backed the main section of the torso/chest with the white material so that I could later fill it with batting or foam.

P1011994.JPGP1011997.JPGP1011998.JPG

The next step was to create the pattern for the abdomen. I started by filling the entire abdomen section with red pleather. I then used the white fabric to create the stripes, and sandwiched craft foam sheets in-between the white and the red material. When stitched close to the craft foam, it is given a similar dimensionality to the cinema suit. I chose to use the craft foam because most of the costume builds that I had seen, including the many of the ones that I have since checked out on RPF, used this method and I thought that it looked great on theirs and that I would give it a stab!

P1012007.JPGP1012009.JPGPhoto Sep 29, 12 31 43 PM.jpg

My next step was to cut out and sew the graphic pattern for the chest that would sit behind the star dimensionally

Photo Sep 29, 12 31 18 PM.jpg

At this point, my time was already running out and I had less than 3 weeks until Halloween, so I will do my best to piece together images of the build and take new detail photos

tom2s, Thanks! I modeled both the patches and the star in Solidworks and then 3D printed them at my college. I'm going to reprint them and see if I am able to clean them up and cast them in silicone.

Hum yeah it's nice to have some 3d printer availabel ! :)

I'm building an age of ultron suit too and this is the only piece that I didn't find anywhere.
I'l probably try to build in with capeborad or something like that.

Can't wait to see the suit!

Just incase you ever need it, there's an online business called Shapeways where you can 3D print files in the material of your choice and its relatively inexpensive. Most of the time for small parts, the shipping is more expensive than what you printed!

After getting the basic graphic pattern cut and sewn on, I began to create the arms.
Because I planned on sewing on the shoulder pads rather than making them a part of the shoulder as seen in the reference photo below, I made a tubular sleeve that would simply connect to the torso section.

View attachment 401520

In this photo, you can see that I cut the arm opening much larger than the sleeve so that I could create a patch of blue leather within the armpit area. I haven't seen any evidence of this in the actual AOU suit, but I wanted to include a secondary layer of depth/texture to the sides and underarm.

View attachment 401527sleevedetail2.jpgsleevedetail3.jpgsleevedetail1.jpg

Here is a shot of the forearm guard that I made using piece of craft foam wrapped in the blue denim. It attaches to the sleeve with velcro.

sleevedetail4.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back