Limited Run Calamari Flan Coins

Ok here’s the first pressure cast test. I think it came out too transparent with the glossy finish. But a dull finish to make it less transparent didn’t make sense to me either because in some shots they do look very closely, so I tried adding pearl powder to make it a little more opaque. I think the blue flakes are a bit much, but the thin strands work well. The iridescent flakes I had reacted with the resin and turned white in castings so that wont work.

I’m going to try one in the rubber which comes out a little more cloudy yellow color and one without pressure casting and compare.

I think the swirl of blue dye on the front face got the right look from the shots as well.

Let me know what you think!

552D9C6E-4EA6-404A-B032-C48EB668CD66.jpeg

Last edited:
I think that the color swirl worked well. Not so sure about the flakes. Now I am wondering if the props were multiple pours so that the flakes could be more directly centered in the middle and not sink to the outer surface?

That could be, I’m also not entirely sure there are flakes, there could just be some kind of iridescent paint mixed in or something and we’re jus seeing light hit the edges of the shape and change color, it’s hard to tell without better reference.

This second one I did without pressure casting came out a bit closer I think. On the right.

CD70B091-895D-45E4-8AD9-27C6B688CFA6.jpeg

Last edited:
So Ive found that scuffing them up a bit gives the desired cloudy look i want. As you can see from the examples, the amount and the pattern of blue coloring will vary piece to piece, as it appears to be the case on the originals.

Interested. It also looks that the top “coin” from the screen grab has ridges around the edge.
I think that’s the bottom, and if they were ridges I think you’d see them on the top edge as well but you only see them on the bottom edge. I’m thinking it’s actually just molding flash from that being the open end of the mold but without better shots it’s hard to tell.
Both seems to be right :unsure: The front part has regular shapes - the back part does not. Maybe it's from the mold or just coincidence.
Great work anyway!

And interested in 2-3 - depending on price, final product and if you consider to ship to Europe.

Well hello old friend, long time no see :) I guess that's on me for not hanging around here much anymore LOL

I'll commit to three of these whenever you decide on a final version. I'd been thinking about making some myself, but I'd much rather let you do all the hard work. ;)

Welcome back man!

Ok Im going to get some final photos tonight and get these up on my bigcartel shop and post the link and everyone can just checkout through there, if that makes it easier.

Got some beauty shots taken and preorder link setup! I have listed that these preorders will take 2-3 weeks but most orders will go out much sooner then that unless I’ve greatly underestimated demand.

Let me know if the shipping options give anyone an issues.

213B4050-8034-49B6-9B15-52AACCEB2F94.jpeg
1ABB918A-EC00-4F28-9821-1DB72A84A0C7.jpeg
C2B2CB79-44F1-472D-9702-524AF7985E4C.jpeg
E588D467-B82F-4014-8168-00894140F928.jpeg
852B5259-0180-44BC-AEEF-49C22BB681C3.jpeg
924ED18D-57BE-468E-9EB7-94DFE01C4BF8.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back