Cal Kestis Hyper Shell Poncho

HotSauceChrmn

What do you guys think the best material(s) to make this with would be? I'm hoping to use it as a functional poncho, so I'm looking for waterproof/rainwear type stuff. I've alread tried ripstop nylon, but it was way too thin and transparent. If anyone has any recommendations, or has made a poncho like this, your info will be greatly appreciated.
1600233478189.png

In lieu of only searching rip-stop which sometimes is kind of common I would look into

- “technical” / “performance” fabrics are often something you have to search for separately.
Stuff like:
gore-tex
DWR (durable water repellence)
Waterproof-breathable.

I say that because not all rip-stop is created equal. Usually the waterproof breathable raincoats you find from North Face, Patagonia, Arcteryx, etc. are bonded seams and have a multilayer construction which is much more durable (and opaque) than standard store-bought rain fabric.

As suggested you could also look into heavy waxed cotton

pleather

Light-weight neoprene

garment weight leather

I would NOT look into waterproof fabrics that are outdoor utility, furniture, or traditional vinyl. Wearing those would murder you.

another option: find some quality pre-made ponchos of the correct color and use them AS fabric

Edit: HotSauceChrmn Grab yourself some .25 yds of Navy and Brown from here as samples
Supplex Nylon Fabric | Taslan Nylon | Seattle Fabrics

Also:
1.4 oz 10D Waterproof/Breathable
Note “Dark Olive” and the white backing on the roll;
These fabrics have ripstop but also have the laminated backing for wicking and preventing water penetration which helps maintain your “micro climate”. (Comfort and moisture level while wearing) I think that’s closer to what you’re wanting.
FD504734-4132-403E-8C4C-60C3DA9F7B91.jpeg

Last edited:
In lieu of only searching rip-stop which sometimes is kind of common I would look into

- “technical” / “performance” fabrics are often something you have to search for separately.
Stuff like:
gore-tex
DWR (durable water repellence)
Waterproof-breathable.

I say that because not all rip-stop is created equal. Usually the waterproof breathable raincoats you find from North Face, Patagonia, Arcteryx, etc. are bonded seams and have a multilayer construction which is much more durable (and opaque) than standard store-bought rain fabric.

As suggested you could also look into heavy waxed cotton

pleather

Light-weight neoprene

garment weight leather

I would NOT look into waterproof fabrics that are outdoor utility, furniture, or traditional vinyl. Wearing those would murder you.

another option: find some quality pre-made ponchos of the correct color and use them AS fabric

Edit: HotSauceChrmn Grab yourself some .25 yds of Navy and Brown from here as samples
Supplex Nylon Fabric | Taslan Nylon | Seattle Fabrics

Also:
1.4 oz 10D Waterproof/Breathable
Note “Dark Olive” and the white backing on the roll;
These fabrics have ripstop but also have the laminated backing for wicking and preventing water penetration which helps maintain your “micro climate”. (Comfort and moisture level while wearing) I think that’s closer to what you’re wanting.
View attachment 1349150
Cool, I'll get some of the nylon and 10D samples, thanks

Last edited:
Looking at the character I noticed that he has the same leather wrist cuff as Rey.
He also wears a reversed British PLCE belt like in R1 and the sequels.

And Cere has a vest and pants like Jyn.

Last edited:
What do you guys think the best material(s) to make this with would be? I'm hoping to use it as a functional poncho, so I'm looking for waterproof/rainwear type stuff. I've alread tried ripstop nylon, but it was way too thin and transparent. If anyone has any recommendations, or has made a poncho like this, your info will be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 1349086
Did you ever get to finish this??
I've been trying to find a stylish poncho for a while now, because where I'm from it rains on schedule, and i love the Cal Kestis ponchos (this one in specific was one of my favorites).
Anyways would love to see how it turned out!

Did you ever get to finish this??
I've been trying to find a stylish poncho for a while now, because where I'm from it rains on schedule, and i love the Cal Kestis ponchos (this one in specific was one of my favorites).
Anyways would love to see how it turned out!
Hey, just bumping this thread. Im also looking into making a poncho just like this

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back