C-3PO costume *New PICS and Video*

Nicely done all the way around Chris. I can't wait to see this in person some day.

Also, congrats on the praise from Anthony Daniels. That's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy cool. :D

Man, that is awesome. Congrats on a fine job, and the TD meeting..

Remember not to swing your arms as you walk. Threepio always keeps his arms still when walking, unless he's demonstrating AT-ATs to a captive Ewok audience. ;)

Originally posted by yakcam@Apr 16 2006, 01:00 AM
Ya know, there's a level of costuming that people like me can achieve, then there's the outstanding "OH MY GOD, That's (insert character here). To me, there used to be only one (no offence to anyone who's made great costume's in the past) of that standard on these boards...

To me, "The Wook" IS Chewie, now I'm happy to put a second on my list, you ARE C3PO.

Now, I'm not anyone of importance, but if you knew how anal I am, it's a great compliment.

I admire anyone who puts together a great costume, but you have taken it to a level that is hard, if not almost impossible to achieve. Bare in mind though, that this is coming from a complete nobody.

Cheers,

Kraig
[snapback]1227134[/snapback]​

Kraig,

Thanks for including me in that select costuming stratosphere. Compliments don't get much more flattering. :) And I agree with your praise of Trooper TK409. The combination of Chris' costume and his performance, seems to have captured the look, personality, and the intangibles of the character, like few other costumers, of any character, have ever done.

I really wish he lived in soCal. :( I'd love to roar at him and have him snap back at me, "No I won't Chew-bac-ca.". :lol (Er, something like that. I forget the actual line from the movie. :$)

The Wook

Kraig,
I appreciate very much your compliment. And to be included with The Wook, who in my mind is the most accurately portrayed character I've seen outside the movies, is extremely nice of you.

This past weekend my garrison made an appearance at a museum's planetarium and it was great. We had Vader, stormtroopers, ANH Leia , Jawas and me. I was told by one of our wranglers that when the announcement came that "C-3PO is on his way out," attendees from all 3 floors of the museum emptied onto the first floor all at once :) When I came out to greet the crowds (all twitchy and Britishly polite: "Oh, my goodness. Oh Hello.) it was an awesome, even indescribable feeling.

One attendee thought it would be cool to try and expose an obvious C3po imposter as myself with phrases from ANH, "Do you speak Bocce?" (Luckily I had studied those lines, so without hesitation, "Of course I can sir, it's like a second language to me." Surpised, at my response, but probably believing it was a fluke, he continued, "What I really need is a droid that understands the language of moisture vaporators." Again, without hesitation, "Vaporators. My first job was programming binary load lifters - very similar to your vaporators in many respects."

His expression was priceless. His face instantly changed to A childlike "COOL." After we took the picture, he said, "Thanks.... and ...thanks for the... " He hesitated, not knowing what to call our exchange, but I jumped in, "Oh, you're quite welcome sir."

I was as thankful for the exchange as he was.

THAT is what I had wanted the performance to be - as Anthony Daniels put it, a "suspension of disbelief" - that for a surreal moment, the person or audience is taken away from real life and believe they are interacting with real character .

Then, when I checked email yesterday morning, I received this from Anthony Daniels himself - speaking about our visit in Boston. I share it because he asked me to, but also because he talks about how professional the 501st and other serious costumers have become - and how important that is for the fans.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Chris

Thank you very much for the photos, some of which I hope will soon find their way onto the website.

Congratulations on making the costume. I was impressed. Also with your performance. ItÂ’s very good.

I was a little jet-lagged and distracted when we met. Not getting enough sleep because of the time difference and trying to write a speech for the VIPs I was about to entertain or at least try to. In the end it did work out fine.

I know everyone enjoyed encountering you and the other 501sts in the exhibition and I meant everything I said about you all being an important, if underpaid resource. I know you all do it for the fun but you have all become very professional.

Few members can have put so much effort into costuming and performance as you have and I know Threepio is tremendously flattered that you have chosen to concentrate all your efforts in his direction.

Please give my warm regards and message of appreciation to your colleagues.

Until we meet again, as I know we will

Good wishes

Anthony

---------------------------------

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

normal_Chris_wAD2.jpg
normal_Chris_wAD1.jpg
Chris3PO.jpg

Chris_wAD3.jpg

oh and Wook, some day in the future, we'll be somewhere and you'll roar at me and I'll say, "No, I will not be quiet, Chewbacca. Why doesn't anyone listen to me?"

C4 maybe? :D

Originally posted by Trooper TK409@Apr 18 2006, 01:37 PM
oh and Wook, some day in the future, we'll be somewhere and you'll roar at me and I'll say, "No, I will not be quiet, Chewbacca. Why doesn't anyone listen to me?"

C4 maybe? :D
[snapback]1228327[/snapback]​

Yessss...that's the line. :lol In the cockpit of the Falcon, IIRC.

I'll definitely be at C4, and before then I'll be at San Diego Comic-Con '06. When we do meet up, it'll surely be a hoot doin' our thing in tandem. :D

Also, thanks for sharing the letter from AD. That's very cool. :thumbsup

The Wook

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back