C-3PO costume *New PICS and Video*

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Trooper TK409, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Trooper TK409

Trooper TK409 Well-Known Member

delete

Links were old and busted.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. TMP

TMP Sr Member

Chris you have a great costume there.
    That is really nice.

3. Star Wars Man

Star Wars Man Well-Known Member

i like em shinier.

4. wedge2

wedge2 New Member

Very cool.

5. TK-2067

TK-2067 Well-Known Member

MAN THATS A NICE COSTUME. :thumbsup :thumbsup

6. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Is there a lot of space there in the mid-section? Are you taller than Anthony?

7. TK1536

TK1536 Sr Member

You gotta tell me... it must feel claustrophobic in there. I thought about doing this costume (because I'm thin enough), but the fact that I can't remove my own helmet/face mask kinda freaks me out.

8. Beagle Bill

Beagle Bill Well-Known Member

Wow. That is amazing Chris. Really awesome job. Hope to see you at Dragoncon. :)

Bill

9. Guri

Guri Sr Member

:thumbsup awesome work.

Love the photo next to the cardboard standy. :lol

10. StudioCreations

StudioCreations Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

All said and done, what does a C3PO cost to create and assemble?

11. Goldenrod

Goldenrod Sr Member

Beautiful job, with the few mentioned tweaks Chris AD will be very impressed:)
    -Goldenrod

12. R2B9

R2B9 Well-Known Member

that's flippin' fantastic, Chris. It looked great in Alexandria, but now, you've got legs. Marvelous.

13. Studio Stasis

Studio Stasis Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Man, if I weighed 145lbs I would SO get one of these.

14. altername

altername Well-Known Member

Amazing. Hope to see it at a con. B)

15. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Anybody have an idea how much it'd cost to plate the entire suit?

16. azuma

azuma New Member

Is it plated or painted? looks really nice...

Best,

Azuma

17. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

His is painted. I start getting all giggly thinking about how cool this would be to wear to a con and then I start thinking, ok I'm gonna need a handler to be with me at all times. I won't be able to get in or out of the suit by myself. I won't be able to eat or drink without assistance once the suit is on. I won't be able to see well at all, so stairs and whatnot are out. I'd probably kill myself if I ever fell down. I can see where he'd work in relatively controlled conditions. However, it'd look darned good on a mannequin in my bonus room when I wasn't wearing it. :)

18. Seeker

Seeker Well-Known Member

Great job man. It's scary to see us fans make such beatiful things.

19. darth_manu

darth_manu Well-Known Member

insanely crazy...
    now imagine if somone made a robotic piece inside that moves and talk like that without a human wearing a costume. that would be awesome

20. Trooper TK409

Thanks guys. Anthony Daniels is 5'9" (no idea his weight), I'm 5'10" 155lbs. The shorts were from my unaltered, original Disney suit so I had to cut them all down to fit my legs through - which makes them ride lower - causing the larger space in the ab section. I have another one that should fit better.

I thought I'd be claustrophobic, but I'm not - the feeling is diminished when you look in the mirror (through the tiny eyes) because it looks so cool to me and I forget what it feels like. I imagine if someone covered my eyes I'd feel extremely upset - like when Anthony Daniels said Salacious Crumb was pecking his eyes in ROTJ - he started having an anxiety attack and told them to remove the helmet saying, "Get it off. Get it off." - I can imagine that feeling now.

Walking is also, not too much trouble, but I wouldn't do a parade, and I have yet to try stairs. This is more of a flat floor, elevator-riding, standing for photos costume right now. I'll optimize it as time goes on and I get used to it.

Drinking? Easy. Who wouldn't want to hold a drink and straw for Threepio?? Eating? Just have a friend remove the helmet, and then slide off the arms.

I've found vacumetalizing or mirra chroming to be between $800 & around $1000. Metalizing can be done right over paint, so once I have enough, I'll chrome it. After some weathering, I'll be happy with the ESB-type finish seen here:
    http://www.jeffcohost.com/~tk409/c3po/ESB/...s/pages/ggg.htm

I will be at DragonCon, yes. so I'll see you guys there.
    Any R2's need a "counterpart?" It would be awesome to have the 2 droids go around together.

Oh, and Turo, can I get a hand? :D

21. hansoloway

hansoloway New Member

I absolutely love this costume man. Here's to having an understanding wife.

22. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Love it :thumbsup :thumbsup

23. R2B9

R2B9 Well-Known Member

Chris, I see you've got a nice image of Lucas reflected in 3P0's severed head on the conveyor belt. Your screen cap skills are complete.

quite the gazing globe.

24. Neon Sentry

Neon Sentry Sr Member

What, no Irvin Kershner?

25. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Nicely done. I wouldn't want to be trapped inside one of those, though. The tunnel vision would drive me nuts. lol

26. Neon Sentry

Neon Sentry Sr Member

Personally, I'm a large fan of constrictive, hard costumes... once it starts to get soft and "easy" on you, it really ends up becoming too much of a reflection of the person... I've seen too many obese Batmen to not like costumes like these :D

27. fettpride

fettpride Well-Known Member

Chris -

You got the moves AND the voice down man, seriously. The suit looks fabulous. With the upgrades you spoke of, you'll be untouchable where a wearable functional suit with
    that level of accuracy goes ;)

If you can get some sort of little amp in there somewhere, ppl would be hard pressed to tell you weren't Tony. In fact, I'v seen one of their ILM actors that wears the "Burger King"
    commercial suit on a behind the scenes video during a shoot, and you're better than he is ... something to think about.

On a side note, I would NOT recommend Alsa's "MirraChrome" for this. I know that one or two on the 3PO board have done it, but It's not very durable for wearing, and in reality, it doesn't look much better than paint with a clear coat. I've seen it up close and personal after researching it as well. When I spoke with their techs, I was told that it's not even as durable as most body shop clear coating. Although it would look great for an ESB scheme, I think you're $800 would be better spent going with the vaccum metalization. It will be more durable, and with some
    weathering, you can achieve your ESB look. Great guy in SoCal that does it. Shipping NOT included for about $550. Looks * good too. I'm about ready to start shipping my parts to him soon. If you'd like the info just hit me up.

If you haven't seen the "Mirrachrome" in person, I happen to have a sample kit from Alsa if you're interested in it. One of these ....

[​IMG]

Great Job .

FP

28. jangomontes

jangomontes New Member

Chris, that 3PO is just sick. Now that I see the whole thing together now, amazing. Fantastic job. Now get back to work on Gears.

-Steve

29. BATIMAN

BATIMAN Well-Known Member

WOW............ I would love one of those ..............terrific man

Alex

30. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

Trooper TK 409,

Dude, what a thrill to see your costume. Spectacular work.

I agree the mid-section gap needs to close by several inches. Oh, and the videos are very cool, but they're all virtually identical. Any chance we could see a video of you walking in the costume? (I know this thing's still a WIP, so whenever you're ready. :D)

Hope to see you in action one day at a con. Amazing job so far. :thumbsup

The Wook

31. Trooper TK409

Thanks for the info Fettpride. I've emailed him.
    Steve man, great to hear from you. I couldn't remember your RPF name :)
    Wook. I'm doing another video once I have the mods done. This one will be shot at the Boston Museum of Science on Apr 8th with the New England Garrison. Stay Tuned.

32. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

Sweet. Can't wait to see it. :D

The Wook

33. TK709

TK709 New Member

Wow, very nice. Great job.

Charlie C TK/TS709

34. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

and we can't wait to see this suit in person..

35. Goldenrod

Goldenrod Sr Member

This is the event AD will be at correct? If so i cannot wait to hear what he has to say about your wonderful suit. You gonna ask him any questions about his suit?? Maybe the shoulders and how his worked and how the arms were attached inside at the shoulder;-)
    Wish i could be there with ya.

36. Trooper TK409

Yes, that's the event. Actually, Don Bies told me the arms don't connect to anything - only rest on the wrists. Also, the shoulder rings are 2-part: Lazy susan on the inside and hinged at the outside. Cool info.

Not to sound pretentious, but I'm not sure what I'd ask AD that I don't already know at this point. Maybe his weight? :p

37. Spankuh

Spankuh Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Amazing work. Stunning.

HH

38. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here are some photos from TK-409's visit to Boston:

[​IMG]

him with Anthony Daniels

[​IMG]

he and i in front of the sandspeeder

[​IMG]

group shot... there were actually about 10 more costumed people, but by this point a bunch of people were out of armor...

and the rest:
    http://501neg.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=503

39. Jango_Fett_Jr

Jango_Fett_Jr Well-Known Member

NIIICE. That looks fantastic all completed.

40. wedge2

wedge2 New Member

Well done Chris and the NEG.

41. Calikid

Calikid New Member

AWESOME JOB............ I would love to be able to wear one of these . Unfortunatly Im 6 feet and weigh 215 :cry
    You are a GREAT artist/craftsman.............
    KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK............................ :thumbsup
    Take care
    Rich
    Calikid

42. Trooper TK409

Thanks TK7602. Your photos turned out great. Thanks for posting them.

This was, for me personally, a dream come true. At one point, when it was only me and my good friend Kris Sanders in the room adjusting my outfit, Anthony Daniels came into the room and inspected the suit. He gave me some excellent comments and suggestions on the outfit. He even helped me put the helmet on. How cool is that?? Then he said, "Let's hear the voice." ...

Now, it's embarassing to admit that for the past 2 months I've been spending my nearly 35 minute commute to and from work practicing Threepio lines and trying to get the voice right. I think it's a bit late to admit that I'm a gi-normous nerd. I had been doing this, even inventing improvised conversations using the voice, in the pathetic hope that I'd be prepared for someday, somewhere, after hell freezes over, where I'd be able to carry on some kind of conversation at an event somewhere within earshot of Anthony Daniels so that if he heard it he might come over and we might have a fun conversation.

I know... somehow "delusional" just doesn't quite say it.. As someone once put it, the probability of this happening was approximately three thousand seven hundred and twenty - to one.

And yet, there I was, all that practice... and when AD said those words, I haltingly stumbled over what must've sounded more like Threepio after Chewie had just reattached his head on backwards. It was excruciatingly awkward. It would be different if he said, "Let's hear Boba Fett" but hearing the one constant icon of every Star Wars movie say, "Let's hear you [imitate me]" caught me off guard. BUT, in my best fussy-british-butler accent I managed to get out the line,

"HelloIamseethreepiohumancyborgrelations.."

AD said, "That's good. But you need to slow it down a little".

Relieved to be out from under such mental torure, I joked, "but I thought it was supposed to be "faster... more intense?." ..... Oh man, am I hilarious. We had a great laugh though. Then he signed the inside of my helmet. "Chris, Fantastic. - Anthony Daniels"
    It's a real sentimental treasure. Nothing a price on ebay could ever repay.

I loved it, the Boston Museum of Science and the NEG is awesome for inviting and hosting me.
    I've uploaded some more photos here: http://tinyurl.com/rcpvt

Video coming soon.

A couple more pics from the event...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

43. Sleezy

Sleezy New Member

That. Right there.

I can't even imagine what it's like to finish the C-3PO suit after such hard work, finally have a chance to don it, and have Anthony Daniels himself there helping you put it on. That's a once-in-a-lifetime event right there.

Congratulations, man.

44. RoCKo

RoCKo Sr Member

that is absolutly amazing, chris.
    you know how much i appreciate your work on star wars related custumes.
    i´m really looking forward for my torso to arrive. can´t wait to give my ZORG head a new place to rest...
    Plastikote color is also on it´s way to me.

you deserve it to have Anthony Daniels help you putting your helmet on. ;)

great pics of this event. thanks for sharing them with us.

45. Trooper TK409

46. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Very cool.....looks like the line rehearsals paid off.

47. Sleezy

Sleezy New Member

Okay. I want one.

48. saber_holder

saber_holder Active Member

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  49. Goldenrod

Goldenrod Sr Member

Chris, i'm so happy for you brother. I know you've must have been beside yourself with Tony there helping you and talking with him.
    You have experienced something only many can only dream of..... Namely me;-)
    You deserved it my friend. I tip my bucket to you Sir and Tony.
    -Goldenrod

50. WebChief

WebChief Sr Member

Chris, it was an absolute pleasure to be able to do this both for you AND for us. :lol We had an amazing time and it was incredible to see you in person in the suit. Watching AD talking shop with you about the suit was facinating. He really seemed to enjoy being there with you and the suit. Well done man... well done.

P.S.

Hope we didn't scare you TOO much at the party later that night. :lol