BX - Series Commando Droid (TCW)

Torolf

A few years ago I built a life size animated style battle droid from TCWs series. Clone Wars Battle Droid / OOM -10 More specifically I built OOM-10 one of the reprogrammed droids R2-D2 commanded during the Citadel ark.
dbjp3aw-411d8020-dc4f-429e-bfa3-9fb7dd2c0904.jpg

I ended up selling that droid to one of my friends in the 501st and he recently commissioned me to make him a Commando Droid to go with it.
I'm taking more or less the same route as last time; 3D printed head, foam core and sintra with a pvc pipe frame for all the rest.

For reference:
Senate_droid_commando.jpg

Now on to the build.

I started with the lower legs and feet since they're nearly the exact same dimensions as the standard battle droid. I patterned out the main structural pieces then bulked them out with layers of sintra. I used pvc pipe for the ankle joints.
IMG_2540.jpg

I then closed in the feet, added details and did a bunch of filling and sanding.

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2562.JPG

IMG_2563.JPG

Once I got that done and everything primed I moved on to the upper torso. Like last time I started with some pvc pipe for the inner skeleton then started bulking out the main shapes with foam core and sintra. I also modeled and printed the main connector between the torso and neck.

IMG_2545.JPG

IMG_2546.JPG

IMG_2555.JPG

I embedded a 3/4" pvc pipe cap in the back panel. This will be the point where the stand will attach. After closing everything off and adding some detail panels I moved onto the lower torso. I built it out of foam core in one solid piece then cut it into the individual sections. I taped it together to get an idea of how everything will fit together. Eventually the segments will be attached together with nylon webbing to allow the "spine" to move freely similar to what we see in the show.

IMG_2560.JPG

That's all I've got for now. Tomorrow I should have pictures of the head.

Well I still haven't remembered to get a picture of the head but it's done printing and assembled. I also decided to print the hands. Hopefully I'll have pictures of all the printed parts before long. In the meantime I finished the torso, lower legs and feet. I realized after I got the torso painted that I still need to add some panel lines so I'll have to add them in. I also built a stand and built the basic structure of the upper legs.

Here are some pictures of a test fit of some of the pieces together. - More to come in the next couple days.

IMG_2579.JPG

IMG_2575.JPG

IMG_2573.JPG

IMG_2576.JPG

Today I brought the head and neck assembly back from my second shop. After attaching it I realized I made the spine too long, making the overall height of the droid closer to 6’ 6” instead of the correct 6’ 2”. The proportions of the torso were bugging me anyway and shortening the spine fixed that. I also added an access panel to the back to run electronics.

IMG_2583.JPG

IMG_2586.JPG

IMG_2587.JPG

IMG_2588.JPG

IMG_2589.JPG

Last edited:
Well I ended up printing the hands and wrist joints too. The main reason I'm not printing the whole thing is my friend wants it to match the battle droid I made before which was scratch built and it's just easier to get them to match the same overall look scratch building most of it. The secondary reason is my printer isn't all that big and cutting up all the parts is a pain.

Another big update today. I finished assembling the upper arms, filling sanding and painting. I also made all the detail pieces for the joints and added the secondary "coupler" to the hip joints. I also finished the hands and installed the magnets in both the hands and blaster. I added the main panel lines on the upper torso and painted all the secondary color.

Tonight I'm doing all the wiring for the eyes and chest light, making the bezel for the chest light and finishing the neck.

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2629.JPG

IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2641.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2647.JPG

I finished the droid Saturday and it went to its new home Sunday. The "ear" caps and neck joint caps were turned out of delrin, then molded and cast in resin. The housings for the eye lights and chest light bezel were also turned and the lenses are all sanded plexiglass with a red gel for the chest light.

I also added some brackets under the arms to keep them propped out away from the body since the joints were too weak the hold the arms out on their own. Lastly I added magnets to the back to hold the vibro-sword.

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2672.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2676.JPG

IMG_2678.JPG

IMG_2680.JPG

IMG_2681.JPG

IMG_2683.JPG

IMG_2684.JPG

This is amazing! I have often coveted a Battle Droid, but I doubt I could do half as good a job. Thanks for the excellent step by step pictures, both droids are awesome builds.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back