Building the Enterprise Bridge For less than £10 /$15 THE 'POSTHUMOUS' UPDATE

Re: Building the Enterprise Bridge For less than £10 /$15

Well, this cold that we have all caught here, just never seems to go away! It hasn't stopped the build, though, it has considerably slowed it down. Nevertheless, I have still made some progress...

My first task since my previous update, was to fix the Overhead screens as, they were too wide. Thank you to Columbo for bringing it to my attention, and to Feek for supplying me with this superb reference picture...
Comm2obsession.jpg

...which allowed me to get the proportions; These smaller OH screens are precisely 40% wider than they are tall. I just made the calculations based on my OH screen height and adjusted the width accordingly. They will need a little finishing but I will come back to that later when the final clean up begins. Here is the result...

GEDC0760.jpg

What this HAS led me to realise, is that the dark grey panel that they sit on, and the lighter grey surround, have been cut to the wrong shape. The inner dark grey panel should not have vertical sides, as do mine, but should be a trapezium, like the outer light grey panel. I may yet pull it apart, as it is bugging the hell out of me now that I see it....

Anyway, Here are some other areas of progress....

GEDC0762.jpg

GEDC0761.jpg

I did all ten Burke Chairs but I have only filled, sanded and painted these two for now. Here they are on a credit card to show their size. They actually do sit more evenly than this but they are balanced here on the raised card number, so they look a bit 'wonky'.

I have also made a start on the second bank of consoles, namely, Scotty's Engineering Station and the Environmental Station. This build is not necessarily a tutorial, like the Trooper lid I built, but I thought it would still be of interest to show a little of the construction method I am using. Here are a couple of shots, with a whole row of tiny Burke Chairs in front...
GEDC0757.jpg

GEDC0758.jpg

GEDC0749.jpg

A lot of work and seems like very little to show for it, but I am pleased that the Chairs, at least, are 'behind me'. Here are a few pics to finish off with...
GEDC0754.jpg

GEDC0748.jpg

GEDC0755.jpg

Here are the wallets I purchased...

GEDC0764.jpg

I hope you enjoyed today's update! I will post again, as soon as I have anything new to report.

BUDGET UPDATE: I have purchased another large piece of card @ £2.99 and also a five pack of coloured plastic envelopes @ £1.05.

TOTAL BUILD COST SO FAR: £8.03 / $12.60:

2 x pieces of A1 card @ £2.99 = £5.98
1 x 6pack of superglue @ £1.00 = £1.00
1 x 5pack of coloured wallets @ £1.05 = £1.05
------
£8.03

Last edited:
Re: Building the Enterprise Bridge For less than £10 /$15 UPDATE 16/02

:lol I like the shot with the giant wine glass :cheers

Looking good buddy :thumbsup

Its a great build and you are still below budget :) Taking a close look the the screen picture where you have changed theri size the angl at the side of the large frame looks out to me. On the actual set it is parrell to the wall goin line but on yuor it looks to angle in at the bottom. I'm not sure if this is actuall the cash or just how it looks on the pohots.

Its a great build and you are still below budget :) Taking a close look the the screen picture where you have changed theri size the angl at the side of the large frame looks out to me. On the actual set it is parrell to the wall goin line but on yuor it looks to angle in at the bottom. I'm not sure if this is actuall the cash or just how it looks on the pohots.

You only looked at the pictures, didn't you......?:rolleyes

It is with great sadness that I have to inform you that, last night, due to an unfortunate disaster, this build was destroyed beyond repair. I thank you all for following this build and hope you enjoyed it.
Many thanks,
Darren

It is with great sadness that I have to inform you that, last night, due to an unfortunate disaster, this build was destroyed beyond repair. I thank you all for following this build and hope you enjoyed it.
Many thanks,
Darren

Oh no!!!!! What happened? I was looking forward to telling you I started on my command chair (using the material from my macbook pro box).

Re: Building the Enterprise Bridge For less than £10 /$15 UPDATE 23/02

No way!!!! Only fire can do that. Anything can be repaired as long as it's not dust and ashes. Can you show us some pics - you're just teasing, aren't you? :)

I'm sorry to hear that, man! Is it water damage? That's brutal...all of that amazing hard work. Are you sure you can't rescue it from doom? Are there salvageable parts that would at least help you rebuild?

I know how this can feel. I've had a few things over the years that I'd poured my modeling soul into, only for them to be reduced to nothing but an irretrievable mess. My first impulse was that anger/sadness mixture. All the effort seems meaningless and wasted, and at least once I'd vowed to never again waste my time on such "nonsense". For some reason, it was almost enough to make me hate myself for doing these things in the first place.

One of my builds was inadvertently destroyed by a relative. Another was massacred by a dog, who (oddly) had a taste for Sculpey modeling clay. One was crippled by a massive basement water leak. In another instance my own carelessness me from exercising caution in where I was stepping in a darkened room.

Luckily I had recovered from these events to where I had improved in both technique and caution. I don't have as much time these days to pursue the builds I'd like to, but I am determined to never give it up. I know if I were you, it'd probably take me a while to get over all those little chairs!

This would be an opportunity to tweak things that you had wished you'd done the first time around. The good news, if you want to call it that, is that you weren't finished. The bad news would now be if it never got built at all...

If it helps at all.... without your build I would have still been making excuses that I can't afford styrene and other things before even trying to start mine. WITH your build I now have a semi-completed command chair and plans to do the rest!
I still look at all the pictures and get really inspired!

Oh man, I just saw this. I know the feeling, I've had a few projects bite the dust. I remember building the TMP Enterprise kit back when it first came out. I left the stand unglued, so I could take it down to play with it. One day it just shifted a bit on the peg and fell right off. CRASH! on the floor it went :cry

Any plans for a rebuild? Or refurbishment like the original?

As a university student with next to no money, this is fantastic! Makes me happy to know that with a little creativity, you don't need money to make a great model. Thanks.

Ok, after a week of utter dejection and moping around in self pity, I am over it, thanks in no small part to my fellow RPF'ers. The build is totally destroyed, and I will be honest, it was destroyed by me. I foolishly allowed other negative events that are occuring in my life to overwhelm me and........well.....you can fill in the blanks.....
Anyway, enough said about that.
Here is a 'posthumous' update of 2 videos and 5 or 6 photos that I took a few hours before the carnage that ensued...

FIRST, The VIDEOS:

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll249/Hahns_off/?action=view&current=20120222_023953.mp4

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll249/Hahns_off/?action=view&current=20120222_023924.mp4

20120222_123758.jpg

20120222_123636.jpg

20120222_023853.jpg

20120222_023845.jpg

20120222_023836.jpg

20120222_023824.jpg

20120222_023707.jpg

I think it is fair to say that this model would have easily been finished under budget and the lighting would have been included in that price; here's the lighting rig I purchased for one penny...
131.png

I figure you guys would have let me off the cost of postage??????

Last edited:
Did you have a "dark side of the force" moment? Surely there is something that can be salvaged, even if it is tiny scraps. Or did it get "composted"?

Look at the bright side, if you try the project again, you know what improvements to make if you consider the previous version to be a dry run or a dress rehersal.

Did you have a "dark side of the force" moment? Surely there is something that can be salvaged, even if it is tiny scraps. Or did it get "composted"?

Look at the bright side, if you try the project again, you know what improvements to make if you consider the previous version to be a dry run or a dress rehersal.

Absolutely correct, JM, but I have decided to pop Star Trek TOS on the back burner for a while as it still smarts a little to even think about it right now.......

But I really want you to stay tuned, JM. you in particular are going to wet your pants over my next budget build....it's time to dispell the myths and snobbery and prove that you CAN even build a 44 inch, full studio scale Eagle Transporter for £20 / $30 AND GET IT PRETTY ACCURATE!

So keep your eyes peeled in the studio scale models forum.

Darren

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back