Building the Enterprise Bridge For less than £10 /$15 THE 'POSTHUMOUS' UPDATE

Re: Building the Enterprise Bridge For less than 10GBP

It might be worth starting a new thread, Underdog as it might all get a little messy if posted here. :)

Considering all of the little green squares under your name, I suppose I should pay heed to your suggestion. One thing though, When I post in the card, or paper craft section..... well.... it's pretty much a case of the crickets taking over and those that are working in this forum may not see the links.
If I start and thread here, it gets moved to the papercraft, or some other section and again with the crickets.... I know, I'll start a paper to plastic thread and show how to take the card models and turn them into viable models made of styrene and resin, or fiberglass..... Would that be acceptable?

I would like to ask those that downloaded files that they linked to from this thread if they are going build any and if so, please let me know how things work out.

Thanks and later.....:facepalm

Last edited:

No Worries, Underdog, and the little green squares don't mean a thing! :lol
I just think that it would pull the thread away from the build and it would get pretty cluttered. I would consider listing the plans as "model" plans and that way, if you don't talk about paper, there is no reason why it should get moved there. Technically, what I am doing here is papercraft. Anyway, thank you for your much appreciated support! It's great to have trekkies on board for the ride!:)

OK! Update!

I haven't really felt like doing much today, but I did push it forward a little. I started with construction of the overhead grill above the turbolift entrance. This will be lit from above at some stage so, please excuse the crude use of a torch to illustrate the effect in the meantime. I want the grill to shadow on the walls and I think I can get it pretty close to the original screen set.

DSC00599.jpg

DSC00601.jpg

I also drew and painted the turbolift map that you see to the left of the doors. I am enjoying drawing and painting all these little items but it is very time consuming at this scale!!!

Then I moved onto lighting panels etc. I have completed the ceiling light panels for the sections I have built: Spock's, (red) and Uhura's, (green) stations and in front of the turbo lift entrance, (yellow).

DSC00620.jpg

DSC00606.jpg

I also did a half decent job, I think, of the under console panels which, again will be back lit at some stage.

DSC00616.jpg

And finally, I did manage to build and complete most of the controls on Uhura's comm's station. I am really pleased with this as, thanks to Glorbes sharing his technique, the colours are really vibrant.

DSC00610.jpg

Again, as always, I have stayed as accurate to the screen used console colours as possible but where I could not see certain lights for love nor money, THEN and ONLY then have I used the 'STAR TREK TOUR' bridge as my reference. I hope you like it as much as I do....I feel that today I started to breathe a little life into it.....Here are a few other shots to finish off with..
DSC00609.jpg

DSC00600.jpg

That's all for now, Folks. I will post again soon with another update!

Last edited:

I've got to say, it looks great, for the size and scale. All of the consoles and what not look spot on.

Last edited:

Hi Glorbes!
Firstly, I would like to say that I have personally read EVERY thread you have started from top to bottom. You are a master craftsman, and your skills are, quite simply, astounding!!!! You mention my using 7" figures, instead of 6" figures. Here are a few pics that hopefully show you just how small a scale I am working to....
Kirk's butt won't even sit in the chair!!! :lol
Plus, you can easily see just how "too long" his legs are.....

Here, under the ceiling of the turbo lift entry way, you can clearly see that the top of his head is higher than the ceiling...If you cant see it, then try these two shots of his head at the same ceiling height....
DSC00595.jpg

DSC00593.jpg

This is really quite a smalll build and believe me when I tell you, I am GUTTED that I started this build at 1/12th scale, when I should have done it at 1/10th scale, like yours.
So........you used NO resistors in your lighting????

They totally should have made an episode where Kirk somehow ends up on the wrong scale Enterprise (just watched Mark of Gideon last evening... it and this picture inspired the idea) :)

Wow, that slight difference in scale really makes a difference! I think you could get away with the New Trek Crew for a while, but the idea of creating custom figures is pretty exciting. How are your sculpting skills?

I'm amazed at the accuracy of this. I sort of just made stuff without really being slavish, and it took me much longer...Yours looks bang-on from all angles in terms of the little and big details. The Grill above the turbolift is awesome, by the way. The button console looks great...I bet you managed to get all of the buttons from the McMaster plans squeezed in there, eh? I made my walkway railings too high, which was kind of a personal stylistic choice (as was only using blue, red, and yellow for my console button colors)...its nice to see how this project looks without all of the quirks and inaccuracies of my model.

Another amazing update.

@ Progrocker: would that be like "Honey, I shrunk the Enterprise" :lol

Thank you, Glorbes! I must admit though, that the Slavish bit can become a noose around one's neck after a while!! :lol .........and yes.........I did manage to squeeze every last single McMaster button onto that console :$ and I am ashamed.....:lol

There are still many aspects of your build that I actually prefer to mine. I love the idea of making it as modular as you have and you were the first to do it on here. That's why you have seven pages of people commenting and wowing over your build. No one can take away from you that wow factor that your build gives. I still go back and look at it all the time.
If you are inclined and have the time, I really think you could easily iron out the small niggles that are bothering you, but I also feel that you are selling yourself short. Dr McCoy hit the nail on the head when he touched on your original reasons for building this. It was to display action figures that, with the best will in the world, are innacurate by their very essence. The balance you have struck between accuracy and overall aesthetics is bang on the money, and that is where I will probably come unstuck.
Sculpting new figures.......hmmm that WOULD be cool as hell but WAY out of my league!!! I did toy with the idea of buying the 6" Wrath of Khan figures and sanding out the details on the uniforms, and then try resculpting the TOS uniforms on the torso's. The issues there again are twofold: firstly the figures sell for around £20/$30 a piece and secondly, would it be a shame to 'deface' a thirty year old figure? If the results were good, I think it would be worth the work but an expensive risk to take at this point.
How did that method I devised for locking the sections together, work out for you?
Before I progress any further, I am looking into buying a set of mains powered white L.E.D. Fairylights to illuminate everything on one plug. If I can work out the placings of each bulb in advance and install the loom, I can then cut the wiring loom into four and attach a connector at each point. Each section would be then easy to connect / disconnect for storage etc. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your input on this project, Mate. ANY ideas, comments etc are MORE than welcome!
Darren

Last edited:

Sorry if you already answered this... but what kind of glue and paints are you using for this? The colors look awesome and sharp.

I looked at this very web page recently as well! I have Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, and a mirror Chekov(the chekovs are rarer than hen's teeth, so I was happy to go with his mirror counterpart). I just need Uhura and Sulu. Bugger me if they are only available in two packs and teamed up with figures I already have. :cry

You could always buy the doubles... and then just do a transporter room and or planet surface diorama down the road.

Sorry if you already answered this... but what kind of glue and paints are you using for this? The colors look awesome and sharp.

Hi Mate! yeah! the colours are just acrylic tubes of like a poster paint we bought for the kids a few years back. they are water based but they dry waterproof. As Glorbes said, the secret is to paint the buttons white first and then add the colour to the white basecoat. The glue is just PVA adhesive ; the same stuff they give kids to play with in playschool. goes off like rock, though.

You could always buy the doubles... and then just do a transporter room and or planet surface diorama down the road.

Good idea but that is for the 7" figures so I am not in a great hurry to procure
the last two. This project should keep me busy for the next few weeks! :eek
I will hopefully be posting a new update on here tomorrow, so stay tuned!

Last edited:

Awesome work, I can't believe what you do with cereal cartons! I built just about everything with cardboard as a kid, including a 6' Galactica, b1
These repro Mego figures are the right size 6", if you can find them Star Trek - The Original Series - Cloth Retro Series 01 - Capt. Kirk - Star Trek: Figures & Replicas Cloth Retro

Hi, Robn1!

Yeah, I looked at them but, to be honest, the figures with actual clothing always look a bit 5H1tty....
Never fear........I am formulating a plan and all will be revealed in time....MWAHAHAHAHA!

Re: Building the Enterprise Bridge For less than £10 / $15

That's how I feel about the all plastic figures, I prefer the cloth. Of course the old ones are on the simple side. I'd like to see an updated version of them.

That's how I feel about the all plastic figures, I prefer the cloth. Of course the old ones are on the simple side. I'd like to see an updated version of them.

I must admit that the rubber/silicon tunics on the Art Asylum/D.S.T. figures and modern Playmates figures is about the best compromise between cloth and cast plastic that I have seen.

Hi everyone!

Well, I have managed to do a lot more but it looks like very little!!!
I have hand drawn and painted all the monitor screen displays for Spock's and Uhura's stations, started "doming in" the upper sections, completed the overhead displays, and built a handrail section. I have also constructed one of the Burke Chairs, but no photo yet of that.
Here is how it is looking...

Uhura's Station
DSC00628.jpg

Spock's Station
DSC00630.jpg

DSC00639.jpg

P1010088.jpg

I thought it might be fun to take a couple of comparison shots. I would love to hear what you guys think...

2310272130_470c3476a6.jpg

P1010070.jpg

And from another angle...

f5bd6bab.jpg

P1010086.jpg

It's about as good as I could hope for, I guess. Still a ton of stuff to do, but slow progress is better than no progress! Here are a few to finish off with.
P1010073.jpg

Sorry this one is blurred!
P1010068.jpg

I hope you are enjoying my build and I will post again soon. Thanks for looking in!

Last edited:
Re: Building the Enterprise Bridge For less than £10 / $15 UPDATE!

It's incredible! Love the hand-crafted screens and displays...makes me feel lazy! The whole thing really does look sensational. You ARE going to build the whole bridge, right? :)

That is brilliant work, I look forward to seeing the whole model take shape. The only discrepancy to my eyes is that the wall monitors are widescreen on the model and old style square shape on the real set. What will be on the main view screen I wonder? The scary looking bald alien (Balok is it?) would be my choice. Or a few different options to swap in as the mood takes you would be possible. Hope you find some suitable little people to man their stations.

Thanks guys! you're the best!
I agree with you about the O.H. Screens. I will try to rectify it before this build is over. it is bugging me, too...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back