Building the Enterprise Bridge For less than £10 /$15 THE 'POSTHUMOUS' UPDATE

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Atlanthia, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

Hi all! My new project is inspired by Glorbes, who just completed a 1/10th scale build of this. If you haven't seen it, I strongly recommend that you do:

http://www.therpf.com/f11/enterprise-bridge-adjusted-dst-action-figures-123844/

It is also inspired by the great Mr. Steve Neill's ongoing "The Enterprise Project"

http://www.therpf.com/f11/enterprise-project-129899/

If you are a TREK enthusiast, you need to check these two builds out.

OK! so for those of you that know me, you will be aware that I build on the "cheap" :lol I substitute expensive resins, styrene sheets and such for papier Mache, cereal boxes and toilet roll tubes, and in that spirit, I made a start on Kirk's command chair. I am building my bridge at 1/12th scale, so it is smaller than Glorbes's but I think I can still get a fair amount of detail into the build. Anyway, here's the chair...
    [​IMG]

I used a dishwasher tablet carton for this and some Polyfiller I had. Here in the UK we have The Pound Shop chains where everything costs £1. I just picked up a pack of six tubes of super glue/crazy glue for.......ahem......£1
    Total build cost so far =£1
    [​IMG]

Here she is all painted up (needs a final grey top coat) I'm pretty pleased with how this is shaping up.
    [​IMG]
    I referenced Steve Neill's chair for the detailing. He hangs around with Doug Drexler and between them, and their time spent actually working for Paramount on Star Trek, they are pretty much THE authority as far as I am concerned.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a comparison shot with a full size build I found on Google:

[​IMG]

So that is about where I am at the moment. I have made a start on Helm/Navigation and I will try to post something later today

TOTAL BUILD COST SO FAR: £1 / $1:56

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    Bootlegger137 likes this.
  2. glorbes

glorbes Active Member

Re: Building the Enterprise Bridge For less than 10GBP

Well, its made from paper and looks a thousand times more accurate than mine! This is AMAZING Atlanthia! I have a feeling this is going shape up into something truly fantastic.

3. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

Building the Enterprise Bridge For less than 10GBP

Well, coming from the Maestro, that means a lot!!! Thank you, Glorbes...

Ok, the Helm and Nav console is all but complete. I have stopped using cereal boxes etc as the card is too thin. I have, instead, started hacking my wife's collection of empty shoe boxes to pieces as this is white and thicker than my other source. Plus there's now some room in the attic. Why do women KEEP that stuff anyway!!!???
    I will touch up the black trim around the red tomorrow when my eyes start working again! Here's the build....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These miniature buttons are a total pain to cut and stick, never mind to paint!
    [​IMG]

I think I will probably be hand drawing all the decals, such as the Astrogator etc, so that I can keep the budget under control. It's kind of fun to do them, and I'm not running to a deadline.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also need to build Sulu's targeting scanner, and I'll look at that tomorrow. Still, I am very pleased with the results so far. The issue for me is time spent trawling the net, looking for accurate screen shots of the instrumentation panels. I realised pretty quickly that the bridge used on the "Star Trek Tour" was dimensionally accurate but the buttons and switches were not the same as the TV series. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this installment. I will post again as soon as I have something.

TOTAL BUILD COST SO FAR: £1 / $1:56

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  4. trekman1017

trekman1017 Well-Known Member

The best way to make any model

5. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

Now that what ya call scratch building a model.:thumbsup

Ozzy

6. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Sr Member

Just in case their husbands ever need spare cardboard to build a scale model on the cheap. She knew.

Looking great so far. Keep it up!

7. Alric

Alric Well-Known Member

Great build so far. Just remember when using this constructuion method to not forget the sticky back plastic :)

8. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

+A for a neat project!! Nice detail work too!

9. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

Thank you, Guys. I really appreciate it!

Well I managed to make a start on the first quarter of the circular walkway. I have decided to do it in quarters as, it is more versatile when displaying and easier for storage. I have devised a method for locking the four quarters together accurately AND tightly so, I sould be able to avoid the issues that plagued Poor Glorbes when it came to aligning some sections. I've also hired some help! Mr Sulu is a good worker and once I'd drawn him a tiny set of plans and made him some tools and a tool box, he was off like a rocket to start working!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, enough about the hired help!:rolleyes

Here is how the first quarter is shaping up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have cut out all the screens and I will be putting a thin sheet of clear plastic behind them all. I will then mount the images behind the plastic.

I am thinking of lighting this when it's completed. I think I can cannibalise our shabby Christmas tree, which is LOADED with optic fibre and coloured LED's, plus a motor thing that changes the colours. It's safe and it's free so, how cool is that!!!!

Here are a couple of pics to finish off with for now. I will post again soon though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Budget update:
    I had to buy a huge piece of card to cut the walkway out of. It cost me £2.99/$4.70 so that takes my build spend up to a massive £3.99/$6.27. which is about where I thought I would be.
    I hope you are all enjoying this latest budget build, and I look forward to hearing your comments:)

Darren

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  10. brandomack

brandomack Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's a freakin' sweet build dude.

11. LRL

LRL Member

Card is a great material for working fast, and you're really motoring. Have you considered using cartons and going full sized? Steady as she goes.

12. glorbes

glorbes Active Member

Oh man, this really is shaping up quickly! It took me two or three times longer to reach this point with the materials I used. Could you break down the method you used to get the sections to fit together snugly? I'm totally blown away by this.

13. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

Thank you Guys! I'm glad someone even wants to pop in for a look see!:)
    Glorbes, your wish is my command! Sorry about the drawing though! :$

[​IMG]

FIG 1:
    At the bottom of the end panels of the adjoining sections, I have cut two vertical slots on each section (Marked with #2's).
    Each slot is 1.5 cm or 1/2 inch high. The width of the slots is the exact thickness of the cardstock. This is important so as to get a really tight fit.
    Between the two sections, (Marked with #one) is the "hook". The slot cut in the centre is EXACTLY TWO times the width of the cardstock. Again, this is the most important as, if you cut it too wide the sections will not pull tightly together.
    FIG 2:
    I decided to glue my hooks as shown; two on one section at the bottom and two on the other section at the top.
    FIG 3:
    Obviously, the slots are actually on the TOP of the upper fastenings. but the principal is xactly the same.
    FIG 4:
    Again just a quick illustration to show how snugly the sections will fit together. I only ask that if you like, fully understand and intend to use this system, I take no responsibilty if you * it up! :lol

Seriously though, Mate. hope that helps and let me know how it goes.
    Darren

14. Progrocker

Progrocker New Member

Oh cool... My wife and I are BOTH students at the moment so a budget build of this is TOTALLY up my alley :)
    That looks awesome too.

15. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

Thank you, Progrocker! I saw you posted on Glorbes's Thread. MAAAN That is one awesome build!!! Now THERE is a guy that can certainly "cut" and "paste" if you know what I mean......EVIL build skills.

Bye the way.........If you want me to go into any more detail about ANY aspect of ANYthing, feel free to ask. Also, feel free to check out my other budget builds. :)
    Darren

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  16. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

I built one of these years ago. I've got a Card model that you can use to build the entire bridge and all of the stations and the turbolift. I've got most of the TOS sets... Sickbay, Engineering, Transporter room.....

17. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

Well that sounds like a pretty cool thing to own! I would love to add to the bridge, and work my way out to the primary hull! :lol
    Seriously though, It would be cool to do this bridge, then add the other main areas, and, when lit, make a four floor display model.
    You wanna.................? ;)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  18. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

I'd be happy to get my files together and send you links. I've got textured versions and untextured versions and multiple set of graphics. I've even got the Jeffries blueprints of various set ups of the main sets depending upon which episode it was and have the Captain Pike Quarters, television and so one. I've got access to a complete Starbase II set and building as well.
    A friend of mine was a hard core gamer and TOS Trek fan and he build virtually everything. Just send me a PM and tell me what you want first and I'll start digging it out.

If you go here, you'll see one small part of what I've got. Look through all of the pages, there are Trek files all over the place.

MTK's Card Craft: TOS Trek Card Craft.

19. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

WOW!!! I certainly will and thank you!!!
    I will P.M. you sometime Tuesday or Wednesday. I have a hospital appointment both days but I will DEFINITELY get back to you.
    Thanks again, UD!

Darren

20. Mrs. Atlanthia

Mrs. Atlanthia New Member

I love it!

21. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Really?!?!?

An AbramsTrek Sulu working on a TOS Bridge.?!??!?

...and why would Sulu being building the bridge, he's the helmsman.

I don't get it.

...oh.....awesome build.

22. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

Because, Michael, he's the only six inch figure I own and I am using him purely for size reference. ....having said that, I was pretty disappointed to discover that no one ever made a decent quality six inch figure set for the original series. My seven inch set from D.S.T / Art Asylum are awesome but too big......So I may have to crew her up with some more of these JJ Abrams figures before this is over.....:confused

23. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

Not a problem, just tell me what you need first and I'll get it together and post it for you and anyone else to download. If you go here, you may find more that haven't been posted on my blog. There are a lot of different TOS projects in the work.

TOS Trek Files - PaperModelers.com

24. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dude! That rocks. I love your budget builds. God help us if you win the lottery and have unlimited funds to buy whatever materials you want!

25. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

@ Lear60man :lol I would build a full size replica of this and have it as my home theatre! Seriously though, thank you for your comment.

@ Underdog. Thank you!!! That is such a kind offer and I will be taking you up on it as soon as I find the time over the next couple of days. It's been pretty hectic here lately and I am slowly catching up!

Ok, here is the next installment. I managed to mostly construct the turbo lift area. I was amazed at just how difficult this was to get screen accurate! The mouldings around the sliding doors, and the overhead grill support frame were a nightmare. As I said, this is the first ever scratch built model I have done, so I am on a massive learning curve at the moment! Here are some pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is one of the turbo lift 'in situ'....
    I have drawn and painted one of the tiny screen displays and temp fitted it to see how it looks. I am really pleased with the result as it is not yet backlit. I realise that I have to still tidy up the black surrounds etc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really appreciate all your comments and critiques. By pointing out the errors or inaccuracies, it makes for a more interesting and screen accurate build.:) I do know, however, that the 6" Sulu figure I am using is from the 2009 movie. Unfortunately, I am unable to find ANY decent 6" figures of the TOS actors. Some of the 6" movie ones aren't too bad but the uniforms are wrong. I am seriously starting to wonder if I shouldn't have maybe followed Glorbes's example and built this to fit my beautiful 7" Art Asylum figures!!! :unsure
    So.....I would be interested to hear what you guys think...The 2009 figures are really good quality, and can be purchased for pennies on Ebay and Amazon, and while they are not sculpts of the correct actors, they ARE of the correct characters. It doesn't affect the authenticity of the build and it would at least put some life into the 'bridge set'. I'd be interested to hear your comments on this one...:eek

Here are a couple of pics to finish off with....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wel, that concludes today's installment of the Penny Pincher's modelling diary! :lol I hope you enjoyed it. I will post soon when I have something else to show you all :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  26. Progrocker

Progrocker New Member

More awesome work!! This along with Glorbes thread are extremely inspiring to me!!
    I'm really busy at school at the moment but I can't wait to try out some of these ideas.
    This is the deal I got on the figures... all but Kirk look really good to me. Even with shipping to Canada it was still a really good deal I thought. I was actually thinking about throwing in a 2009 Chekov... or especiallly a Trials and Tribbleations O'Brian or Dax on the bridge. :)
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Ori...6M/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1328117689&sr=8-40

Atlanthia likes this.
  27. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

I looked at this VERY web page recently as well! I have Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, and a mirror Chekov(the chekovs are rarer than hen's teeth, so I was happy to go with his mirror counterpart). I just need Uhura and Sulu. * me if they are only available in two packs and teamed up with figures I already have. :cry

28. glorbes

glorbes Active Member

Chekov's rarity really cheeses me off. I bought the two packs as well, and I have no idea why he hasn't been repacked with another character. Oh well.

This looks amazing, Atlanthia...I'm blown away at how clean and sharp everything is...I CANNOT believe this is your first scratch build of this kind...I've been doing this thing for a few years now, and this build beats the heck out of stuff I'm making now. Are you sure the DST figs don't look okay in this? You should take some pics with them placed in what you have completed...I'd think the scale would be close enough.

To answer your question from my thread, I used a battery box that holds two AA batteries, and has an on/off switch. I used the 'bright white' LED bulbs, and the power required is 3 volts. Hope that helps.

29. glorbes

glorbes Active Member

If you get doubles of characters, hunt down some other ST figures and swap heads to make more background characters! You could fill every bridge station!

30. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

You know, I think I'm going to have to go back and show the work I did and maybe link to some more interiors. I'm itching to do this as well all of a sudden.

Atlanthia likes this.
  31. Progrocker

Progrocker New Member

That would be very cool to see. You also don't by chance have your files in something more mac friendly do you? I don't have anything to open .pdo files.
    Thanks!

32. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

Hi Glorbes!
    Firstly, I would like to say that I have personally read EVERY thread you have started from top to bottom. You are a master craftsman, and your skills are, quite simply, astounding!!!! You mention my using 7" figures, instead of 6" figures. Here are a few pics that hopefully show you just how small a scale I am working to....

Plus, you can easily see just how "too long" his legs are.....
    [​IMG]
    Kirk's butt won't even sit in the chair!!! :lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here, under the ceiling of the turbo lift entry way, you can clearly see that the top of his head is higher than the ceiling...If you cant see it, then try these two shots of his head at the same ceiling height....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is really quite a smalll build and believe me when I tell you, I am GUTTED that I started this build at 1/12th scale, when I should have done it at 1/10th scale, like yours.
    So........you used NO resistors in your lighting????

33. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

Which files do you need and what format do you prefer?

34. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

That's one of the reasons I haven't moved forward since that last one. I did the first one as a large scale mock up, then did the bridge in 1/50, 1/25 and finally in 1/12... Haveb't been able to decide where to go from there.

35. Alric

Alric Well-Known Member

As it being built at 1/12th scale you could always get some figures meant for doll houses and make your own crew. I'm looking forward to see the finished piece. Have you decided whats to be on the big screen as yet ?

36. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

Well, Alric, I am hoping that 1/12th scale will work out to be exactly the right size for me to use my iPhone as the screen. That way, I can have the choice of picture cards, as Glorbes has done, or MP4 video footage from the original series. We'll see when I get that far. :)

37. LMFAOSchwarz

LMFAOSchwarz Sr Member

Looking good, Atlanthea!
    Your reference to cereal boxes is interesting: when I was a kid, those were my main resource for building my cardboard models. Over the years, it's gotten thinner and flimsier to the point that the flap on the box tops won't even stay closed!

38. Progrocker

Progrocker New Member

Anything interior TOS Enterprise, especially the bridge. Do you think it would work for the scale of my diamond select figures (even as background)?
    Would pdfs be possible?

39. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

PDF is totally doable. I've got Ron Caudillo's 1/50th and 1/25 TOS bridge with complete graphics. I used to host his files before my website was hacked and have written permission from him to host his files, so that shouldn't be a problem. I've also got his TOS Enterprise, LIS Space POD, and 1/350th untextured TOS Enterprise. I can get those hosted for everyone while I work on some other versions of the Bridge and so on. If the author of this thread doesn't mind I'll post a couple of photos of the work I did five, or six years ago. If anyone has specific requests, please let me know. Sorry, not trying to bogart the thread.

40. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

It might be worth starting a new thread, Underdog as it might all get a little messy if posted here. :)

41. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

Considering all of the little green squares under your name, I suppose I should pay heed to your suggestion. One thing though, When I post in the card, or paper craft section..... well.... it's pretty much a case of the crickets taking over and those that are working in this forum may not see the links.
    If I start and thread here, it gets moved to the papercraft, or some other section and again with the crickets.... I know, I'll start a paper to plastic thread and show how to take the card models and turn them into viable models made of styrene and resin, or fiberglass..... Would that be acceptable?

I would like to ask those that downloaded files that they linked to from this thread if they are going build any and if so, please let me know how things work out.

Thanks and later.....:facepalm

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  42. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

No Worries, Underdog, and the little green squares don't mean a thing! :lol
    I just think that it would pull the thread away from the build and it would get pretty cluttered. I would consider listing the plans as "model" plans and that way, if you don't talk about paper, there is no reason why it should get moved there. Technically, what I am doing here is papercraft. Anyway, thank you for your much appreciated support! It's great to have trekkies on board for the ride!:)

OK! Update!

I haven't really felt like doing much today, but I did push it forward a little. I started with construction of the overhead grill above the turbolift entrance. This will be lit from above at some stage so, please excuse the crude use of a torch to illustrate the effect in the meantime. I want the grill to shadow on the walls and I think I can get it pretty close to the original screen set.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also drew and painted the turbolift map that you see to the left of the doors. I am enjoying drawing and painting all these little items but it is very time consuming at this scale!!!

Then I moved onto lighting panels etc. I have completed the ceiling light panels for the sections I have built: Spock's, (red) and Uhura's, (green) stations and in front of the turbo lift entrance, (yellow).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also did a half decent job, I think, of the under console panels which, again will be back lit at some stage.

[​IMG]

And finally, I did manage to build and complete most of the controls on Uhura's comm's station. I am really pleased with this as, thanks to Glorbes sharing his technique, the colours are really vibrant.

[​IMG]

Again, as always, I have stayed as accurate to the screen used console colours as possible but where I could not see certain lights for love nor money, THEN and ONLY then have I used the 'STAR TREK TOUR' bridge as my reference. I hope you like it as much as I do....I feel that today I started to breathe a little life into it.....Here are a few other shots to finish off with..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all for now, Folks. I will post again soon with another update!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  43. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

I've got to say, it looks great, for the size and scale. All of the consoles and what not look spot on.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  44. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

Thanks, Underdog. Very much appreciated!

Darren

45. XxN3BUL4xX

XxN3BUL4xX Member

Dude this is looking awesome, it's nice to see someone using different materials very inspiring

46. Progrocker

Progrocker New Member

They totally should have made an episode where Kirk somehow ends up on the wrong scale Enterprise (just watched Mark of Gideon last evening... it and this picture inspired the idea) :)

47. glorbes

glorbes Active Member

Wow, that slight difference in scale really makes a difference! I think you could get away with the New Trek Crew for a while, but the idea of creating custom figures is pretty exciting. How are your sculpting skills?

I'm amazed at the accuracy of this. I sort of just made stuff without really being slavish, and it took me much longer...Yours looks bang-on from all angles in terms of the little and big details. The Grill above the turbolift is awesome, by the way. The button console looks great...I bet you managed to get all of the buttons from the McMaster plans squeezed in there, eh? I made my walkway railings too high, which was kind of a personal stylistic choice (as was only using blue, red, and yellow for my console button colors)...its nice to see how this project looks without all of the quirks and inaccuracies of my model.

Another amazing update.

48. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

@ Progrocker: would that be like "Honey, I shrunk the Enterprise" :lol

Thank you, Glorbes! I must admit though, that the Slavish bit can become a noose around one's neck after a while!! :lol .........and yes.........I did manage to squeeze every last single McMaster button onto that console :$ and I am ashamed.....:lol

There are still many aspects of your build that I actually prefer to mine. I love the idea of making it as modular as you have and you were the first to do it on here. That's why you have seven pages of people commenting and wowing over your build. No one can take away from you that wow factor that your build gives. I still go back and look at it all the time.
    If you are inclined and have the time, I really think you could easily iron out the small niggles that are bothering you, but I also feel that you are selling yourself short. Dr McCoy hit the nail on the head when he touched on your original reasons for building this. It was to display action figures that, with the best will in the world, are innacurate by their very essence. The balance you have struck between accuracy and overall aesthetics is bang on the money, and that is where I will probably come unstuck.
    Sculpting new figures.......hmmm that WOULD be cool as hell but WAY out of my league!!! I did toy with the idea of buying the 6" Wrath of Khan figures and sanding out the details on the uniforms, and then try resculpting the TOS uniforms on the torso's. The issues there again are twofold: firstly the figures sell for around £20/$30 a piece and secondly, would it be a shame to 'deface' a thirty year old figure? If the results were good, I think it would be worth the work but an expensive risk to take at this point.
    How did that method I devised for locking the sections together, work out for you?
    Before I progress any further, I am looking into buying a set of mains powered white L.E.D. Fairylights to illuminate everything on one plug. If I can work out the placings of each bulb in advance and install the loom, I can then cut the wiring loom into four and attach a connector at each point. Each section would be then easy to connect / disconnect for storage etc. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your input on this project, Mate. ANY ideas, comments etc are MORE than welcome!
    Darren

49. Progrocker

Progrocker New Member

Sorry if you already answered this... but what kind of glue and paints are you using for this? The colors look awesome and sharp.

50. Progrocker

Progrocker New Member

You could always buy the doubles... and then just do a transporter room and or planet surface diorama down the road.