Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

Moderately good progress today, but more importantly - reached some significant milestons.

I completed the finessing of the grain / texture / speckling on the lower dome, leaving only about 20% of the left half of the upper.

Also, I got over a hump in that I fixed a major blemish where one of the attachment screw plugs was just a mess.

Finally, I got two more detail pieces on the dish flattened,. I think the dish overall is looking better...

Last edited:
You know - one of the most fun things about this project is learning more and more about the original.

To this day, after nearly two and a half years, I am still finding new information and details about the original.

Look at the light grey block in the lower right. The first image is a rare shot of the right side of the dish, in decent lighting. I came across it a few months back, but I think it was originally published in 2008.

In mine (same crop), you can see I havn't added the detail lines. Can't wait to do it!

building-death-star-production-post-001.jpg-47780d1300065890

building-death-star-production-post-004.jpg-47782d1300066032

Wow those pics with the starfield (and laser) are awesome. Your attention to detail is insane. This whole thread is a learning experience from your impressive build to seeing what you keep finding on the original. One of the coolest SS threads ever. Your passion shows in the quality of it. So when is it going on tour... :cool

Knocked out yet a couple more detail pieces on the dish, and it is looking appropriately flat now.

And finished off three more city blocks. And am on schedule to finish the texture finessing this week.

Will do some fun detailing (like in the last pics I posted) this weeked, and may poke a few light holes too!

Still on schedule...

Finsihed off one more city block today. Two more city blocks left. One will be done tomorrow; the last on Saturday.

Then it is some "fun detail" and "pick up" work (odds and ends I've noticed over the globe that need a bit of work - not unlike pick up shots in a film production).

Then on to lights on Sunday!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back