Building the BR Voight Kampf Machine - Completed for molding - 8/8/12

Re: (Re) building the Blade Runner Voight Kampf Machine

Some notes -

All of the monitors are/were CRT's. The smaller ones were viewfinders off of studio grade television cameras. The larger one was a small, stand alone monitor.

All were fed to a series of 3/4" tape decks that had the playback material. From what I've been able to determine, the eye in the large monitor is Sean Young's (shot at EEG for this purpose). One of the smaller screens is running a graphic that looks like a rotating waveform - that's from ALIEN. I forgot what the other one was.

The bellows were nothing more than vacformed plastic parts. There was no time to make a proper rubber (or latex) bellows. In fact, the plastic bellows don't even nest properly (they were all pulled from the same plug), which made them stutter a bit as the thing "breathed". They were operated via a rod that was glued to the inside of the top bellow and passed through all the ones below it and through the table it was resting on. There were little strings attached to all the other bellows so that when the top one was lifted, it would rise a bit, and then the one below it would start to rise, and so on. There was also a spring on the last one so they would close up. If it sounds like a half-baked scheme - it was. they had about 3 days to get a non-functioning prop that fell apart in front of Ridley into filming shape. (The Tyrell office was one of the first scenes filmed.) with that amount of time, you can't come up with a technical solution. You have to go with what you know works - strings and rods and holes drilled in tables.

Gene

Re: (Re) building the Blade Runner Voight Kampf Machine

That's a great anecdote. I especially like hearing the stories behind the props!

Re: Building the Blade Runner Voight Kampf Machine - Updated at last 03/11!

So, at last, two years on, I've started working on this beatie again :love

In the intervening time, some much better reference showed up on Propsummit.

I've reworked the shell considerably based on these, built the secondary monitor section and started work on the bellows.

The bellow in these progess snaps I vacformed from a Milliput master I sculpted, still need to trim them up properley.

Next up is completeley reworking the back section, now I have some decent pics of it.

Progress pics

16gbl6o.jpg

29g0k0h.jpg

1235nxc.jpg

Very nice. I want to make one for my buddy as he's a huge fan but I think it's going to be smaller since I have to make it out of wood. I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Another year goes by :angel

I've started the VK shell from scratch, and this time I'm gonna finish her :thumbsup

There were a number of things I wasn't happy with about the original, not least the weight, since the shell was solid resin, based off Tyler Haslett's build moulds. Tyler's build was extremeley innacurate, and I'm unlikeley to be using any of his parts.

The new version, which I've spent the last couple of weeks on, is built around an aluminium frame. It's based on the version of the VK seen in closeup, which differs considerably from the LA shoot model, in the size and shape of the main screen. The closeup insert may have been shot in London during post, and the model reconfigured for a UK resolution monitor (see Propsummit for more).

This is the first pic of my new attempt, the large monitor/front fascia are stil a WIP, and are sitting unnatached on top of the frame. The two-screen unit and the bellows buck are retained from my previous build.

I haven't started on the front or rear deatailing yet, I'm going to be getting some parts laser-cut in the next week, including the VK badge (though this had apparently been detached from the model by the time of the close-up shoot).

The model will eventually be molded and slush-cast for adding electronics etc.

255v2g7.jpg

Re: Building the Blade Runner Voight Kampf Machine - Updated 04/12

you have done a man's job, sir.

cool project. neato mosquito kick-butt wicked cool !

Will be watching this one with interest

If you happen to need the bellows vac forming I'd be more than willing to help out on such an iconic project!
Phil

Very cool~

Nathan is making one of those two! In fact, I think he is doing 2 of the three versions.

Just some clearer images for reference cant wait to see this build

Nearly done on the rear...

ie124i.jpg

She's really getting there :love

The main build, secondary monitors and 'eye frame' are pretty much done, aside from some small detailing and clean up.

The buttons on the front will be made from laser-cut acrylic, painted white and lit from behind.

I still need to make bucks for the main convex CRT screen, that will then be vacformed from clear plastic. When the build is slush cast , the screen guide can be cut out and the vac-screen inserted from behind.

The bar leds on the top of the monitor and on the front panel create random led patterns when hooked up to 9v, the fitting holes will also need dremeling out of the resin cast case.

The panel led bar will sit behind a clear acrylic section, which you can see on the botton pic.

Next up, the eyepiece and arm...

2i08ydc.jpg

348sln8.jpg

znlypx.jpg

178zg8.jpg

2r26gjq.jpg

t65oya.jpg

2vulgzk.jpg

2nunb0m.jpg

14cy0wk.jpg

kbw0sm.jpg

Re: Building the Blade Runner Voight Kampf Machine - Big Update 03/07-Build & Electro

Sorry, double post.

Re: Building the BR Voight Kampf Machine - Big Update 03/07/12-Build & Electronics

I received a message on Facebook today from Tyler Haslett, saying that a 'friend' of his had told him I had been slating his original build in this thread.

I'd like to emphasise (go back and check...) that the only thing I said about Tyler's build was that it was highly inaccurate. The many, many ways that Tyler's build differs from the screen-used prop are obvious to anyone who compares his photographs to screen caps.

I did not do my homework when I bought the moulds from Tyler, my bad. It was a well put together piece of work, but it was in no way accurate to the original, and, in fact, bares a much closer resemblance to the Morpheous build from a long way back. Not in any way a bash on Tyler's workmanship, just a choice to base my build on the original, not someone else's interpretation of it.

I'd also like to suggest to Tyler and his friends that they go back and reread this thread. I clearly stated that I eventually decided not to use any parts from Tyler's moulds and completely rebuilt it from scratch, with close reference to screen-caps and behind the scenes images of the original prop.

My current build is 100% my own work, and really I don't feel I should have to justify anything I say about Tyler's effort, since I paid a lot of money to own all his moulds and reproduction rights, none of which I've actually been able to use.

Thank you.

Simon

Re: Building the BR Voight Kampf Machine - Big Update 03/07/12-Build & Electronics

Excellent build. I love everything Syd Mead and Blade Runner was one of his finest works visually. I have wanted this machine for years. Are you building this strictly for yourself or are you planning to offer kits once you are done?

I am very much hoping to be able to offer kits, obviously it's quite an awkward piece to reproduce, but I have an industry pro doing the moulds for me, so it's looking good at this stage :thumbsup

It's been a long time coming, but here are the final pics of all the final parts that are going to be sent off to distant shores for creating moulds for the final kit.

The blue parts and the badge clear acrylic laser cuts which won't be moulded, if I do any kits to sell, these will be cut for each kit. These ones are going off with the masters for my moulding guy's own VK. He's also doing the buttons on the front, which will be clear then painted white and lit from behind.

Polymer bucks for the monitor screen vac-forms are also pictured, gun for scale. That's it. I'm free :lol

n6vlfl.jpg

w7mnt5.jpg

2r7q048.jpg

2dl4zz6.jpg

rcugp3.jpg

6sdpih.jpg

x3wpz.jpg

13ygx0z.jpg

oge52h.jpg

1zyabzc.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back