Building The ANH 5'Millennium Falcon

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by eagle1, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Bioshutt

Bioshutt Active Member

Having seen the Original at the SW:WSMI (Where Science Meet Imagination) Exhibit, I wish I still had the pictures but I lost some files somewhere and now the only ones left are to blurry to see clearly :(
    this is Really amazing and I hope you contiue this project so we can see this amazing piece of art that you have there

2. Rysjin7717

Rysjin7717 Well-Known Member

Eagles Wow!!!! :eek:
    I just read all 21 pgs of this build awesome work ya done so far that cockpit cone an windows look great love your skillset brah subbed keep up th' good work. :p:cool:
    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

3. eagle1

eagle1 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks mate, I don't really have the room either, but I'll squeeze her in no matter what:lol.

Thanks, glad you like the progress so far, no stopping now, I'm in too deep:lol

Many thanks

Well here's the Cockpit cone with all the underside plating & T-section window framing in place. This part really came to life after adding these details. Just 2 kit parts need to be placed on the underside, one of which I'm not certain to it's donor as yet.
    The T-section strips were a real, how shall I say it, test, to cut right & place ok. I ended up doing all the long strips first, then adding the smaller ones last. These smaller ones are actually harder to cut just right, as they all needed to be just the right size to butt up to the long ones & have to be pre-bent in both directions to get a good joint & not be struggling to hold while glueing. Also each corner is mitred, most at a 45 degree angle on both long/short strips:wacko

I made a quick jig out of styrene to sand the 45 degree angle on the strips for a better fit, worked ok.

Studying the actual cockpit ref, I noticed the T-section strips were a mix of mitred & butt joints, some quite noticeably butt joints. I decided to try & be neater & go for all mitred. The difference is minimal, but the end result looks fairly identical.

I'll be working on the cockpit tube itself now, so is coming together gradually.

Stu

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  4. Tsophika

Tsophika Well-Known Member

Check Bandai King Tiger/Jagdtiger.

5. eagle1

Iv'e got the Bandai 1/15th Stug part in place Craig, but I'm looking for the part that sits between the Stug & King/Jagdtiger brace kit part. Oh yeah, I have the King & Jagdtiger kits.
    I'm thinking possibly Tamiya F1 but haven't spotted it yet.
    Stu

6. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup

7. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Wow, that looks awesome, Stu! It looks spot on! It must feel just like how the original ILMers felt building that cockpit.

8. Rysjin7717

Great work brah lovin' th' styrene jig very inventive thinkin' keep up th' great work. :p:thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

9. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Stu, that is the COOLEST thing I have seen on this forum, ever.

10. eagle1

Cheers mate, I always thought the cockpit was a wonderful design & intrically constructed by the ILMer's. I tend to look now on the Falcon as a mass of subassemblies or small models themselves, all brought together as a whole, the cockpit being one such subassembly.

Many thankyou's my friend!. If they were cussing & screaming while building it, then yeah, I felt just like them at times:lol

Thanks again dude!

Wow, thanks Jason, glad you like mate. :$
    Means alot to get all the positive feedback from everyone.

11. Waffen Bucks

Waffen Bucks New Member

Owwwww...my jaw just hit the floor. This is gonna be epic on a biblical scale

12. dsp5500

dsp5500 Well-Known Member

Mate all the work you put into the cockpit has payed off, That looks SAWEEET

13. Gort

Gort Well-Known Member

Wow Stu, just catching up with this thread. You have sooo totally nailed that cockpit

Nice going mate. I'm very jealous now...

Nick

14. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

Delectable, divine, ravishing...

Cockpit perfection city.

15. Weezer

Weezer Well-Known Member

I can already tell this build is going to be awesome!

16. eagle1

Thanks, I hope your jaw's ok mate:lol

Many thankyou's mate, seems an age ago I actually started the cone, finally got there:rolleyes

Cheers Nick, I feel I got it pretty darn close to the actual miniature, especially with all the great feedback from folks.

Careful, jealousy leads to the darkside mate:lol

Actually Nick, it's all your fault for starting the ID thread which got me into building this thing, but dude, you have my gratitude, it's going to be one heck of a ride:)

Thanks, very much appreciated.

Cheers, so far so good:lol

17. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

And to think you were gonna scrap this for a small one. Mate looking spot on.

18. eagle1

Cheers Simon. Ha, yeah, I must have been sick or something at the time:lol

19. eagle1

Thanks.

I've pretty much been working on getting the whole ship dimensions ready to a stage where I can start on the hull very soon. I want a 'blank' Falcon sitting in front of me, before I start adding the donor kit parts. Very close now, but it takes an age, laying out the donors of the various area's and making sure they fit with all the other area's. Nothing more done on the cockpit as such, I want that placed on the Falcon proper, before I detail it out.
    I have all the internal armature planned out now, so that's half the job & researched all materials needed, which I can get here locally.
    Kit collecting never ceases, now having over two thirds of the known donors.
    I tell you, I could have bought a real Falcon (a Ford Falcon) for the price of these kits, it's scary territory for sure!.
    Stu

20. greeble_gremlin

greeble_gremlin Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Stu,

Well I just got caught up on this Thread...great work!
    I'll take a few "pages out of your book" from this build.
    I can't wait to see pictures of the next phase of the project

21. Rysjin7717

Hey Stu, glad to see your still on this been waitin' for an update for awhile. Keep up th' good work. :p

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

22. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Hurry up Stu

23. paplooo

paplooo Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

this is just .. amazing... !!!!!!!!!!!

24. peza

peza Active Member

eh up buddy.
    wow ya cockpit is mint mym8...
    you`ve just inspired me to get started on my cockpit as soon as i can finish the front mandibles off!
    once again top job...cheers peza

25. kokkari

kokkari Sr Member

Any progress on this? We are dying here!

26. eagle1

Still working on it, although a bit slow at the mo.
    Got distracted by joining the local 501st chapter here in NZ, Outpost 42 & am putting together a TK Stormtrooper.
    Just finishing up the assembly of the helmet ready for painting the details.

Back to the Falcon, I'm working on getting the upper & lower loading ramps done. Since these last pics were taken, the
    panels have been cut out & await milling on their edges to get a nice sharp angled edge for easy assembly.
    The pics show parts laid out in mostly the correct places. Yes, I know the vertical T-bar runs right through to meet the horizontal, just
    hadn't cut any more for length.
    The side panel parts all line up great & correspond to the upper details, so all good.

The plan is to make the subassemblies first, such as the loading ramps, then the walkways, underside landing gear bay, etc... .
    Then, all these sections can be placed together to get a pretty accurate idea of disc diameter & mandible angle, length, well, that's
    the plan anyhoo!.

Kit collecting is on going, I'm running out of room, seriously!.

Stu

Attached Files:

EddieL likes this.
  27. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Nice one Stu...... Keep em coming.

28. Junk Pilot

Junk Pilot Sr Member

Have you received that 8rad part yet, Stu?

29. eagle1

Yep, got it Dean, many thanks, sorry should have LYK earlier.
    LMK if you need any other parts mate, I'm just across the ditch lol!.
    Stu

30. eagle1

Will do Simon, thanks.

Hey do you still have any 8-Rad chassis parts you can spare, you mentioned earlier you may have a few?.
    Cheers.

31. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

*.... Yes mate. Been so busy selling my house I forgot. I'll get em out to ya. Also Don and Julien if you read this the parts are coming. ****!

32. eagle1

Cheers Simon, that'll be great mate.
    You planning on moving into a bigger house, with a monster man-cave?.:lol

33. eagle1

Hi all.
    I'm planning on using as much actual plastic kit parts as possible, rather than casts.
    This is feasible on most, but not all, such as Sealab & M8 carrier for example.

Could anyone help me with these parts from the Esci/Dragon/Revell 1/9 Kettenkraftrad. I would just want actual kit parts, not casts.
    I am after 3 of each part in the first pic.
    I am happy to buy or trade, no problem.
    Oh, I only need 1 of the second pic part, as mine was broken in my kit:angry

Cheers chaps.
    Stu

Attached Files:

34. vfxsup64

vfxsup64 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Stu,

I would spare them if I had them - I only have the one kit myself.

Ironically, my piece (from your second picture) came broken also. Very thin styrene...

If you do need casts, just let me know.

Regards,

Andre

35. eagle1

Thanks Andre, yeah that part is pretty fragile, I wonder if anyone has the part intact?.

As an aside, thanks to all who sent me the 8-rad lower chassis part, you guys are saints, really appreciate it chaps!.

Stu

36. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll check mine (that is my scan).
    I only bought it for the Y-Wing parts (and someone I loaned them to for casting lost them, but that's another story), so it isn't doing me any good.

37. eagle1

Thanks Tread, I'll gladly take it if not needed.
    Also, thanks for the scan, I didn't know who to credit for it, so cheers.

Ha, over the coming months I'll be asking (well begging really) for more parts from the SS community. Mainly duplicates.
    It still makes me smile the incredible help & generosity this community gives back to each other.
    When this Falcon is all said & done, I hope I can put a smile on the many faces here.
    Cheers all!.
    Stu

38. eagle1

Well, been a while, but got these done this week, the 2 quad gun turret bases.
    These are a laminate of clear acrylic, with a styrene top. The whole turret was done on a milling machine. The hole just behind the mounting point was used as an anchor to hold to the milling machine table, it will be covered by the detailing anyhoo!.The original ILM turrets were 2 sheets of plywood & covered in styrene, with another 'ring' of very thin styrene around the edge circumference.

Now, I will offer these for sale in the junkyard for folks who want them. I will do one run only & that's it guys!.
    These will be the bases only as per the pics, no greeblies included.

Stu

Attached Files:

EddieL likes this.
  39. Talkierg

Talkierg Well-Known Member

Wow Stu,those quad gun bases looks great.
    It would be great if you offer the cockpit along w it:thumbsup

Don

40. eagle1

Cheers Don, glad you likeee mate.

My cockpit cone, not the tube, yes I will be offering up as a cast part you can buy. That will be next year though!.
    Next up are the quad gun barrels themselves machined in alloy, a set of 8. These will compliment the turret base parts.
    The turret window will be offered as well to whoever may want them.

My thoughts are that I'm making these various parts anyway, it's not too much trouble making a few more for folks.
    I know the 5 footer is a niche market model, so to speak, but it's no big deal in offering up extras, be nice to have a few other builders around.

Stu

41. vfxsup64

Very nice work Stu! Looking forward to more.

Seeing the turret in your hand really hints at how big this model really is...

Regards,

Andre

42. Bondo Fett

Bondo Fett Active Member

I'm looking forward to the rounded hull sections, especially as you mentioned you would try to have them blow-molded like the studio model. Is that still a possibility? If not, what other approach do you have in mind? Have you dimensioned the curvature yet (radius, depth)?

I hardly need to mention how impressive this project is- you've got your hands full for sure! I hope we can see some juicy updates soon, as with other threads on this forum its the excellent documentation of the process I find most inspiring.

43. eagle1

Thanks.
    I now have the method I will use to build the hull, but will reveal that later. Very close now to overall dimensions, but am building subassemblies to have a firmer idea of final dimensions. Needless to say I will not be going the blow-molded route!.

Ok, here's some pics of the port mandible wall buildup. Starting on the starboard side now. These will just be 'clipped in' to the sidewall openings later in the build. I'm just waiting on a 359 Peterbilt to finish the front detailing & still a number of parts yet to place in various area's. Remember this will be a ANH Falcon, so some of the 'missing' detail parts have been included.

Also made a start on the underside rear landing gear box structure, laying out the parts & making scratched panels. I have since cut out the top plate ready for the side walls to be added.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    EddieL and Treadwell like this.
  44. vfxsup64

Stu,

Very exciting progress - and really interesting to see some of the "missing" parts!

Regards,

Andre

45. joberg

joberg Master Member

Beautiful, brings a smile to my day:cool Very cool indeed!

46. Moska

Moska Well-Known Member

Wow! Stu. I see you're really having fun. I'm happy for you. Go ahead with this great project.(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Rafa

47. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Super work Stu, I can't believe how bonkers this build is, your a brave and talented bloke

48. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Glued to this, Stu! :)

49. seven

seven Sr Member

I noticed a minor difference on the SS cockpit windows. The back window above Chewie's seat as an extra 'frame' before it comes to a point. However, it does not appear to be symmetrical, and missing above Han's side (?). Unless this is an optical illusion...

Attached Files:

50. imurme

imurme Active Member

Actually seven, you are seeing a bit of an illusion there...It is really a white tube structure that connects to the back wall and not part of the canopy or frame.

illusion.jpg