Building The ANH 5'Millennium Falcon

Hi Eagle 1 ,
I admire you for setting out on the task you have set yourself, as a long time fan of the Falcon I made my own attempt at a large scale version a bit smaller than the original 5 foot version my own comes out at 32 inches across and 42 inches long it was featured in volume 19 of sci.fi fantasy modeller a few months back none of the original parts were used they were are scratchbuilt aprt from a hand full of bits from my spares box a good reference book to have is the sculpting a galaxy by Lorne Peterson if I can help with any ideas for construction let me know
good luck with your mammoth project you will need it.

regards Barrie

Cheers Barrie, yeah I'm going to need alot of help along the way, especially with ID's. I think I have every known book & ref now to do a good job.

Love your Falcon, she's a beauty!. Any more pics you'd care to post, I never got that volume of SFFM.
Stu

Rod, sweet casting mate!. I'll look forward to seeing those. Is that the color of the resin or you primed it already?. If resin that color rocks!.

Great seeing that 1/48th cockpit again, a real work of art!:love

One question chaps, is the 5 footer 1/24th or 1/20th?. I did a quick study of some ref overall sizes & it comes out closer to 1/20th. So this of course begs the question will 1/20th figures be a better fit in the 5' cockpit if I decide to put some in further down the track.

Stu

Wont be much difference in it I wouldn't think. I was looking at Mikes 1/24 pilots for the X-wing and the original Harrier pilots at 1/24. I compared them to the 1/24 Gemini pilot I'm using for the Narc build and that one is a L'il bigger. Not much in it but definitely bigger.

Stu that resin plate is primed, but I cast everything on black-Grey tinted resin. It helps with the painting technique of black primer coat-White primer coat classical for the ILM X-Wings.:)
And after painted with the base color you can make weathering hit marks with the dremel and you get black behind the coats of paint and looks great!

Stu, have you decided if you will make a model-accurate cockpit interior or idealize it?

Rod, that's a damn fine casting job! I hope I have as much luck.

Craig

Rod, sweet casting mate!. I'll look forward to seeing those. Is that the color of the resin or you primed it already?. If resin that color rocks!.

Great seeing that 1/48th cockpit again, a real work of art!:love

One question chaps, is the 5 footer 1/24th or 1/20th?. I did a quick study of some ref overall sizes & it comes out closer to 1/20th. So this of course begs the question will 1/20th figures be a better fit in the 5' cockpit if I decide to put some in further down the track.

Stu

Ignore the ref, dude. The ref IS the five-footer, everything else is suspect! :)

1/24 all the way.

Stu that resin plate is primed, but I cast everything on black-Grey tinted resin. It helps with the painting technique of black primer coat-White primer coat classical for the ILM X-Wings.:)
And after painted with the base color you can make weathering hit marks with the dremel and you get black behind the coats of paint and looks great!

That makes perfect sense Rod & will work perfectly. The Falcon is covered in dremel damage.

Stu, have you decided if you will make a model-accurate cockpit interior or idealize it?.

Craig

The cockpit will be my only deviation from the original, in that I will do a full cockpit interior as much as possible. Figures, well, I haven't decided yet, early days.

Ignore the ref, dude. The ref IS the five-footer, everything else is suspect! :)

1/24 all the way.

I hear ya Martyn, what ever figure fits ok I guess. 1/24th may look just right in the end?.:)

Stu

That makes perfect sense Rod & will work perfectly. The Falcon is covered in dremel damage.

But but but but BUT!!! Don't forget the Dremel damage hits through the layers of paint into black or white primer on main scratch built and plated areas, and into green, beige, black, white etc styrene on a lot of the kit parts, and beige resin on the ILM cast detail pieces. And then there's probably hits that go right through into clear acrylic. If you're a TRUE studio scale disciple, you'd better make dern sure you get all that right.

Then again there is this thread:

http://www.therpf.com/f10/thoughts-studio-scale-elitism-disease-treatment-options-152207/

but I don't understand it at all.

:lol

I...I sort of...maybe...mean it? I think? Um...please give generously, my treatment will be expensive. :lol

Hmmm, best I match the prop then & have all the right colors under the dremel hits in the right places, no problem, shouldn't take up too much more time:rolleyes.

This model deserves to have it done right, no compromises!

Stu

Dammit, now we have to go find the *exact right releases* of all the kits. Half my parts go in the bin! :behave

ILM built their original 5-foot Falcon model to be 1/24th scale. But that first model seems to be the only time the Falcon was ever depicted that big. Even the "oversized" cockpit interior set for ESB was probably still a bit smaller.

Last edited:
Hey Stu,

So, are you finished yet?

I'm in the midst of a bathroom refurb now. I can see my kits, I can smell the kits but I can't get any time to actually do anything with them. At least not till my beloved GF has signed off on the bathroom!

Stu, I need a fix of Falcony goodness to keep me going! :love

N

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back