Building the 8' Star Destroyer (superstructures done)

Re: Building the 8' Star Destroyer (portside primered, lots of pics)

Julien,
Sent you a PM re another part.

Re engines I have a very good friend who has a large lathe and can do the main engines no problem if you want to provide a sketch. :thumbsup
PM me
Rgs
Andrew

Hey Andrew !

Havent received any PM from you but an email, and I reckon Im way behind everything, I'll reply soon but I cant tell you when !

Thank you very much for the offer (and thanks to your friend !), right now I havent drawn the engine bell, and I dont know yet how to proceed... Having a buck and make 3 pulls (but it would be hard to get an even thickness at the edges) or having it milled to the final shape, getting the T-strips added then cast and mold it (like they did) with heat resistant resin (since I gonna use LED I'm not sure about adding aluminium powder in my resin, even if that's pretty cheap).

Hi Julien,

You could turn a master, and then make an inner and outer mold to ensure wall thickness is maintained.
Use a good quality rubber you could pick up all the detail on the master
High temp resistant resin is easily obtainable here in the UK to cast them.:thumbsup

Sorry i thought i had PM you i was trying to find out what the long stips on the bridge were from?
Those were the last parts that you and Blackpig ID a few wweks ago

Regards
Andrew

Tis looking good and I am glad that you are still keeping this going.

Another thing that I would like to make clear is...

threadlovercat.jpg

Tox, if you don't mind me asking what did you use, for your trench pattern.....looks amazing...as does everything

...Re engines I have a very good friend who has a large lathe and can do the main engines no problem if you want to provide a sketch. -Andrew

...right now I havent drawn the engine bell...

I did a quick sketch of the bell to ruff out a basic shape and detail. I can refine it if I had more info to go off of. LMK if this helps a little

Edit: updated drawing, added PDF 02

Last edited:

Thank you Seven ! I havent done a precise comparison yet, but the bell itself looks very good (the egg shaped thing), but you over complicated the mounting, it's a simple pipe on the original model, yours is egg shaped where it meets the bell ! It's really hard to figure out the exact diameter of those due to lense distorsion and no kit parts in the same plan :/

Its dizzying :wacko how much detail you have in this build. Fantastic work :thumbsup

Thank you for your kind words guys !

I worked a bit on the masters of the trenches.

Some of the parts used :

8ft331.jpg

3 masters, the one I built previously was updated with new parts I found :

8ft332.jpg

Painted :

8ft333.jpg

8ft334.jpg

In a random configuration but to get an idea :

8ft335.jpg

8ft336.jpg

So these base castings are used repeatedly and there are then extra details added to them individually?

If so, cool system. I didn't know that.

Fantastic work Julien ! Your passion and workman spirit are surely the Best !!(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Thank you very much for your kind words guys ! :)

I've started the fourth and last pattern they made for the 8 footer :

8ft340.jpg

This one is hard to nail because each of the casting is hidden by several kitparts they added to superdetail the trench, which is not the case with the other pattern casting which are easier to ID.

I've also started to make the patterns they made for ANH (used on the ANH ISD and Y-Wing). They reused those pattern on the TESB ISD and on the 32" MF.

8ft337.jpg

8ft338.jpg

8ft339.jpg

Julien,

When you start it, I actually doubt you could do was finish...
However, it is now coming...

You're IDing and modeling machine...Julien :thumbsup

thanks Eric.

I've also started to make the patterns they made for ANH (used on the ANH ISD and Y-Wing). They reused those pattern on the TESB ISD and on the 32" MF.

8ft337.jpg

8ft338.jpg

8ft339.jpg
Wow!-Thats interesting-They used it on the 5fter as well.Great work Julien!
Untitled-1-4.jpg

Julien,

When you start it, I actually doubt you could do was finish...
However, it is now coming...

You're IDing and modeling machine...Julien :thumbsup

thanks Eric.

Thanks Eric !

TBH I didnt I would go so far ! :) Was just building the bridge and neck, and was not sure about finding so many parts (thank you all guys ! And a huge thanks BlackPig !!). My goal was to get about 70% of the parts ID'ed, now I'm close to 99% !! I cant believe it myself !

Wow!-Thats interesting-They used it on the 5fter as well.Great work Julien!
Untitled-1-4.jpg

Wow now that's very cool, I didnt know it was also used on the big 5 footer ! I dont know her very well !

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back