Building the 8' Star Destroyer (superstructures done)

Amazing build! I'm sure you know this. I've really enjoyed this. thanks for sharing.

Thank you TimeLord !

Any recent developments on this?

- Master Tej -

Yes ! In my mind. :D After a chat with Paul Huston it became obvious what they built is overkill, overheavy, and over oldschool ! :D I really want something lighter for ease of move and transport, I think Im going to use Forex (Sintra for you US guys) for the large ribs, square tubing instead of round tubing? For the hull, I could use 3mm Forex with a lot of holes to save weight skinned with 1mm acrylic. 4mm acrylic would be way too heavy for that but I still need the outer coat to be acrylic (forex is to soft). I think I can save a lot of weight and it still will be as strong.

Yes ! In my mind. :D After a chat with Paul Huston it became obvious what they built is overkill, overheavy, and over oldschool ! :D I really want something lighter for ease of move and transport, I think Im going to use Forex (Sintra for you US guys) for the large ribs, square tubing instead of round tubing? For the hull, I could use 3mm Forex with a lot of holes to save weight skinned with 1mm acrylic. 4mm acrylic would be way too heavy for that but I still need the outer coat to be acrylic (forex is to soft). I think I can save a lot of weight and it still will be as strong.

Julien I think this is a fantastic idea, I don't build much anymore but the SD was one project I thought long and hard about back in the day back on Rel's board. Your idea for the skin with holes in it is fantastic and should keep the weight down too. When I had the two footer laser cut I went with round holes in the ribs and regretted it. I hope all is well and I know that some day I will be very green with envy over this.

Greg

Hi Greg, good to hear from you !

Yeah I remember those good old days ! :)

Could you elaborate about the problems you had with the holes in the ribs ? I was planning to do some in mines. Did they have less rigidity ? I'm planning to use 15mm Sintra for them, should be plenty enough. I may add some plywood reinforcements here and there (mainly where the superstructures sit on the inner frame).

Could you elaborate about the problems you had with the holes in the ribs ? I was planning to do some in mines. Did they have less rigidity ? I'm planning to use 15mm Sintra for them, should be plenty enough. I may add some plywood reinforcements here and there (mainly where the superstructures sit on the inner frame).

Yeah I miss those days too :(

I was referring to round holes in the ribs where I ran the structural support rods through. It made it difficult to line up the ribs . Square holes with Square support rods will hold everything nice and true so they won't spin if you know what I mean. Its just one less headache to worry about.

G

Acrylic has to be a little tricky with a big model like this because of its tendency to crack under stress. Looking forward to more of this eventually Julien. What an amazing model!

They were awesome days, we ALL achieved a lot, and uncovered so much back then, was fun!

lee

Thank you TimeLord !

Sure. I mean it.

Ah no way, there wasn't any deadweight back there, was about the only time i only felt a true part of a collective, striving for the same thing, and look what it did, we ID'd the Slave, well, the majority of it, ID'd and created the stop mo ATST, gave birth to the Probe droid pods, lotta work on the TIE X1, it goes on and on!

lee

This thread is 4 and a half years old now....at this point of building this, George would be like, "Don't worry about finishing the model, we already finished the movie without it." haha

Yeah but I dont have the budget nor the builders team of ILM. And I'm not throwing the parts on the model in a random way like they did ! :D

Just for your information, the model was not finished in some shots of TESB !

Im pretty sure some guys take more time to build a MPC model than building a 8' long model with more than 5000 parts to identify. ;)

Anyway it could take another 4 years to finish her ! :D Or maybe more... but I have to decide if my drawings of the hull are accurate or no. :)

This thread is 4 and a half years old now....at this point of building this, George would be like, "Don't worry about finishing the model, we already finished the movie without it." haha

Only a person who doesn't have a true understanding of studio building would say that. It's one thing to studio build,it's quite another to studio build a hero ILM lmodel.

Yeah but I dont have the budget nor the builders team of ILM. And I'm not throwing the parts on the model in a random way like they did ! :D

Just for your information, the model was not finished in some shots of TESB !

Im pretty sure some guys take more time to build a MPC model than building a 8' long model with more than 5000 parts to identify. ;)

Anyway it could take another 4 years to finish her ! :D Or maybe more... but I have to decide if my drawings of the hull are accurate or no. :)

Yes, take the time, you'll get it better in the end.
Do you know what shots the model wasn't finished in?
I actually noticed a mess up in TESB.
I never knew they used both SD models around the battle of hoth.
Well, at around 24 mins 50 seconds, as the transport is leaving hoth, you see the ANH star destroyer. Then the one guy says about the first catch of the day. Right after the ion cannon fires, its now ESB model.
Not sure if anyone ever has seen this, maybe, but couldn't find it anywhere I looked online.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back