Building the 8' Star Destroyer (superstructures done)

Re: Building the 8' Star Destroyer

Thanks you all for the kind words :)

Jon, of course if you ever come to Paris, I would be glad to show your plexi structure ! :D

That´s awesome! While I cannot imagine anyone would notice the domes being off by 0.5mm, I´m sure the build would not be that awesome if you were less anal about it. Definately pays off, can´t await the next update!

Dan, I can assure that being off by 0.5mm they have totally another shape, I still have those domes so I can post pic if you're interested. This dome is a very complicated shape which doesnt allow any 'guess', it's possible to be off by a couple of millimeters but only for large things. My superstructures are 10mm too short, but it's not noticeable because it's 800 mm long... trying to fit the kitparts is another story ! :lol

Yeah that would be cool that some ILM'ers see her :) Some did, and next time Lorne come to Paris, be sure I'll invite him at home ! :)

I have a slow recovery but I'm pretty much done with the front superstructures, still some parts to find (some to find litterally, because I have those parts but cant find the sprue, like the Chieftain ones ! :lol) :

8ft242.jpg

8ft243.jpg

8ft244.jpg

8ft245.jpg

8ft246.jpg

8ft247.jpg

8ft248.jpg

Julien,

I feel a beautiful of Starship through kit-bashing:thumbsup

thanks Eric.

And I sent PM yesterday~! Please reply me, if you don't mind buddy

Thanks you guys :)

Julien,

I feel a beautiful of Starship through kit-bashing:thumbsup

thanks Eric.

And I sent PM yesterday~! Please reply me, if you don't mind buddy

Eric, I replied to your PM yesterday, you dont get it ? Anyway I told to your friend what he wanted to know today :) If you want the info too, just let me know my friend !

He he:)

Yep. I didn't get the reply because my PM box was full...
If you don't mind, Please retry~!

thanks Eric.

Thanks you guys :)

Eric, I replied to your PM yesterday, you dont get it ? Anyway I told to your friend what he wanted to know today :) If you want the info too, just let me know my friend !

PM sent Eric :)

I found an old primer can so I was able to shot a light coat of primer on my domes.

W/ flash :

8ft249.jpg

8ft250.jpg

W/O flash :

8ft251.jpg

8ft252.jpg

I continued to work on the smaller roof (not so small :)), Ive drawn the lines I'll have to draw once it's painted to get accurate placement of the styrene chips. I drew them as accuratly as possible (even if some are missing, that was very time consuming for almost nothing lol) :

8ft253.jpg

8ft254.jpg

Julien, I don't know how to say how truly brilliant this project is, without repeating what has already been said by other RPF'ers dozens of times.
It is quite simply INCREDIBLE and the effort that you're putting into it's completion is truly AWE-INSPIRING. :)

I've been a member of the RPF for 10 years now, and I've been considering this fact for several weeks now -this is the single-most amazing prop replica I've ever seen in these 10 years.

Well done, man. :thumbsup This thread is now the first thread I visit when I come to the RPF, and when I see that you have updated it with more progress pics I'm genuinely happy, and look forward to seeing what you've achieved since you last posted.
In my 10 years here I've never really taken an interest in the Studio Scale Models section, except for a couple of visits when MR released the AT-AT and Millenium Falcon, but I never visited this section on a regular basis before. This thread and your amazing build has changed all that!

Keep up the good work mate :) I can't wait to see the day when you post pics of the finished model, painted and fully-illuminated. At the tremendous rate you've managed so far, this will probably be .... after this weekend, right? :confused :lol

Do you plan on mounting the finished model, using a pole through the front cargo hold? Or will you hang the model using several lengths of wire attached to various anchor-points in the main structure of the model?

Cheers,
John

Julien, I don't know how to say how truly brilliant this project is, without repeating what has already been said by other RPF'ers dozens of times.
It is quite simply INCREDIBLE and the effort that you're putting into it's completion is truly AWE-INSPIRING. :)

I've been a member of the RPF for 10 years now, and I've been considering this fact for several weeks now -this is the single-most amazing prop replica I've ever seen in these 10 years.

Well done, man. :thumbsup This thread is now the first thread I visit when I come to the RPF, and when I see that you have updated it with more progress pics I'm genuinely happy, and look forward to seeing what you've achieved since you last posted.
In my 10 years here I've never really taken an interest in the Studio Scale Models section, except for a couple of visits when MR released the AT-AT and Millenium Falcon, but I never visited this section on a regular basis before. This thread and your amazing build has changed all that!

Keep up the good work mate :) I can't wait to see the day when you post pics of the finished model, painted and fully-illuminated. At the tremendous rate you've managed so far, this will probably be .... after this weekend, right? :confused :lol

Do you plan on mounting the finished model, using a pole through the front cargo hold? Or will you hang the model using several lengths of wire attached to various anchor-points in the main structure of the model?

Cheers,
John

Hey John,

Wow thanks for the kind words ! I deeply appreciate them and I'm glad you have some much interest for this build !
I cant take full credit for this though, and that's why this place is so nice, I was helped in many way by several friends from all around the world... USA, Japan, Brazil, UK, New Zealand etc...

I know this model is far from being finished, but I would like to thank those who helped so far. First Chrome, he helped me a lot when Ive starting to ID the beastie. Unfortunatly he never came back to the RPF and I hope he's good. BlackPig and Rick Deckard for the help to find several parts, DirtyDave, Stu, Faustus, BobaFlint for the Tamiya Shinano hulls, Allan H and Lee R for the T34 parts, Kbilly for the Shinano and Entex Porsche parts (that I still have to finish to mold !), Jon F and Jon K for the plexi parts and domes, Bar who sent me the scaled domes who served to draw the final design, Ease Owyeung for telling me the brand and ref of the paint used on the original model, Jason E for some cool refs, and of course all the great support I got from you guys, every time I post an update. That makes me going forward. I hope I haven forgotten nobody... Sorry if I did.

That's a lot of people involved in this model !

As for getting the model next week-end, it wont happen as I'm waiting to move to my new house to start building the hull ! :) I will eventually cut the ribs and make the armature. The more I think about how to do the hull, the more I want to go another way that they did. Today there are great stuff available and I think I'm gonna use a layer of forex (3 mm thick, while holes to save weight) then skinned with a 1 mm plexi layer. This way it will be more rigid (the original hull tends to sag) and lighter. It will be a bit more expensive but I want it lasts.

As for the support, Im planning to use the bottom mounting point, but I would like to have the side, top and rear mounting points, like the original, mainly because it would be easier to detail, scribe, paint and draw the pencil lines if I can put the hull in all those positions !

Anyway thank you again John, I hope I'll be able to show some cool progress very soon !

Julien

Last edited:

Thanks Mike ! :)

The roof is almost done (still 3 parts to find), I scribbed the main lines on it and added the last few styrene chips :

8ft255.jpg

8ft256.jpg

8ft257.jpg

8ft258.jpg

8ft259.jpg

The superstructures start to take shape, I'll start the non hero side very soon !

8ft260.jpg

8ft261.jpg

8ft262.jpg

Last edited:

Hi Julien,

I have a certain word in the world can't express the compliments for your ISD.

Great work buddy:thumbsup

thanks Eric.

Have you seen a doctor yet..?

Seriously bad ass modelmaking. It really sets the standard to follow. I have been "dormant" in this department for 6 months now, but seeing this really sparks the need to get back into the grooooove :)

Hot-damn! That's some excellent progress you've made on the roof of the superstructure. :thumbsup
I just wish I wasn't so short-sighted, then I could help you find the 3 parts you need to finish it! D'Oh!

8ft255.jpg

I love this shot... such a level of minute detail that you have really captured the scale of the model perfectly. Nice job :thumbsup

8ft261.jpg
Ooohhhhhh... It's really starting to take shape now, mate. Keep up the good work :)

Cheers,
John

Wow, Tox, that is the most beautiful ISD I've ever seen. It's a pity that almost everything ILM does now is with computers; you could have a job for life! Great work!

Thank you all for your words and interest.

Lasse, I think the hardest thing for you now is to figure what model you will build next, as you built most of them ! :lol

I built the parts which are depicting the Essex bridge on the 3 Footer ISD.

First, I used this pic (thanks Nwerke) to ID the parts and to draw the shape of the styrene plates, using the kitparts as a gauge :

8ft263.jpg

8ft264.jpg

Done :

8ft265.jpg

you need a paypal link so we can donate money for the build expense..lol you should be video taping all of this progress so you can make a documentary of it

Hey John,

Wow thanks for the kind words ! I deeply appreciate them and I'm glad you have some much interest for this build !
I cant take full credit for this though, and that's why this place is so nice, I was helped in many way by several friends from all around the world... USA, Japan, Brazil, UK, New Zealand etc...

I know this model is far from being finished, but I would like to thank those who helped so far. First Chrome, he helped me a lot when Ive starting to ID the beastie. Unfortunatly he never came back to the RPF and I hope he's good. BlackPig and Rick Deckard for the help to find several parts, DirtyDave, Stu, Faustus, BobaFlint for the Tamiya Shinano hulls, Allan H and Lee R for the T34 parts, Kbilly for the Shinano and Entex Porsche parts (that I still have to finish to mold !), Jon F and Jon K for the plexi parts and domes, Bar who sent me the scaled domes who served to draw the final design, Ease Owyeung for telling me the brand and ref of the paint used on the original model, Jason E for some cool refs, and of course all the great support I got from you guys, every time I post an update. That makes me going forward. I hope I haven forgotten nobody... Sorry if I did.

That's a lot of people involved in this model !

As for getting the model next week-end, it wont happen as I'm waiting to move to my new house to start building the hull ! :) I will eventually cut the ribs and make the armature. The more I think about how to do the hull, the more I want to go another way that they did. Today there are great stuff available and I think I'm gonna use a layer of forex (3 mm thick, while holes to save weight) then skinned with a 1 mm plexi layer. This way it will be more rigid (the original hull tends to sag) and lighter. It will be a bit more expensive but I want it lasts.

As for the support, Im planning to use the bottom mounting point, but I would like to have the side, top and rear mounting points, like the original, mainly because it would be easier to detail, scribe, paint and draw the pencil lines if I can put the hull in all those positions !

Anyway thank you again John, I hope I'll be able to show some cool progress very soon !

Julien

Julien,

I'd just like to say that, it is an honor and a privelige to have been able to help you with even just a few parts for this stunning build. I consider myself lucky to have even been witness to the construction of this model through the RPF and regard it as THE build on the boards. If you post a new update, I'm there mate, first ahead of all others and can't wait to see what area youv'e created.
If there is any way I can help it's a done deal, donor parts or whatever J.

I guess at the end of the day Julien, you are building this alone, construction wise, but you sure have made alot of people happy to see this taking shape and we all look forward to the day when it is finished, but hey I think the ride to completion is far more rewarding to us than you can ever imagine J.

Love the new updates mate, I just stare in awe for ages and think man, I really need to get back down to the workshop lol!.
Cheers
Stu:lol

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back