Building the 8' Star Destroyer (superstructures done)

Re: Building the 8' Star Destroyer

J, I'd love to see a picture of your donor kit stacks. I always wonder how many kits people have around a project like this . I need to start a thread called " show us your Donor stash" , just to see the extent of them.

always great work oh master of the plastic

Lee, here you can find most of my donor kits :

http://www.therpf.com/showpost.php?p=1178169&postcount=374

That's not all the kit needed for the ISD but for the Bridge/Neck/hero sides of the superstructures, I'll need more kits for the non hero side and the brim trenches/engine area.

Fortunatly you can use parts from those kits for other projects (sometimes you cant because the same parts are used !).

i missed that post....AND holy COW , your futre wofe will have to make room for your collection and your donor kits..like having two other kids

Thanks Tim and Jase :)

The story about the domes could very long as it started in august, 2009. I will just make it short (I could make a whole post about that, but that wouldnt interest you) and say a big thanks to Jon would did the domes two times (the first ones were off because of me) and he was doing to do them a third time because we thought the second ones were lost in the mail. I finally received them almost 2 months later and what could I say ? They're perfect in shape, they're hollow (to save weight) and Job also did the pylon for me. I cant thank him enough for his patience as I was very anal about the shape and I did him redo the CG model several times.
I still have some bits to had to them but they're almost finished. I used the correct spindles (not the crappy brass rods they added when they restored her). Those spindles were not on the original model when they designed it and you can notice that the ISD doesnt have them on some TESB shots. There was only a styrene chip on one triangle and a tiny kit part on another. They added them later for TESB maybe to match the 3 footer ?
8ft238.jpg

8ft239.jpg

8ft240.jpg

8ft241.jpg

I wanted the shape as perfect as possible (the first ones were only off by not even 0.5 mm but it ruined the shape) as it's the sign of the vessel IMHO !

Thanks Jon !

Last edited:

DAMN, Julien that looks awesome.I can bet your glad that package didn't get lost instead of mine.Sent you a PM.

Dave

damn, I think a person could sell just those with a DS base and make a killing...that is great ( about 12" tall)

Fantastic dome work~!

Julien, this is my favorite thread and I always interested in your progress:thumbsup

Thanks Eric.

Julien, this build just keeps getting better and better. I've got to find a way to get to Paris.

That´s awesome! While I cannot imagine anyone would notice the domes being off by 0.5mm, I´m sure the build would not be that awesome if you were less anal about it. Definately pays off, can´t await the next update!

Wow. Thats unreal. Literally. I can't imagine all the time and effort thats been put into this and still is to come! Well done...

What I'd love to see on this forum would be the response from any of the talented ILM artists who worked on the original studio models. In many ways, I think your work is much more difficult, Julien, as you are having to id so many parts which were used decades ago. And you're doing this alone while they had a team working together. This is astonishing. I can't imagine the endless discipline you must have to remain so focused on this one subject for so long. Totally beyond anything I've ever seen any modeler do before.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back