Budget bio helmet tutorial?

Renveii

For something along the lines of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aJnpLlq-LE

He is saying what he uses, but not really anything else. (Well, another video shows pics from the production of it, but still...) Is there any tutorial on exactly how to do it? And yes, I've been looking around at this place PLENTY before even registering. Can't find anything.

It HAS to be a budget one. I do not really have much money available.

Oh, and of course - I'm going to (somewhat) customize the helmet, too. I love custom things. Anything from having altered lines, to adding small details such as carvings, spikes, or even custom painting. Having something that really no other person at all has is pure win, either way!

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to be here, anyways. You seem like fine folks.

Thank you!

Will the result be any good, though? Won't it be a bit hard to assemble, and leave basically no room for customization? I really don't know how to even make it from viewing that file. Is it meant to just be a preference? Am I supposed to print the images, and use them to draw around the shapes, on foam/cardboard?

Help out a newbie here! A real freakin' newbie; I basically have never made a mask before. At least not for real.

But hmm... Sorry for asking (now that you posted that and all), but is there pics from the making of a cheap mask anywhere? That somewhat shows how you should do it?

what you have there is a pepakura its a program that will print it out and give you directions to assemble it into a 3d item. There is someone on here that did make one (can't find the thread for the life of me right now) and it came out pretty good. Someone could probably correct me but I believe you can put resin over it so it gives it strength and also you can apply different pieces before you resin to give it more of a personal look.

...Does that mean it will be a mask made entirely out of... paper? Uh, yeah, putting resin over it sounds like a good idea, then. But where'd I get my hands on some, anyway?

I'd almost prefer to make it out of something else, though. But I suppose I can't complain. Sounds like a convenient way of making one.

first you have to download pepakura( browse google) and then you download the pepakura bio file ,which you will find it here ;http://cid-e249016aec1fa138.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Predator%20Helm%20by%20Spartan857.pdo
after you print this on paper cut it and draw like you said on cardboard!after assemble put two or three layers of bandages with plaster!after is cured you can put some plasteline on it and sculpt a litlle to customize whetever you want! this will be the basic shape ,after that you can put another layer of plaster!
another ideea is ;put some vaseline on all surface and again a few layers of plaster bandages! when is cured you demold your model and voila ;a plaster bio! smothh a litlle and paint it! cheaper than this is not possible!
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=11587
I foud this wile I write !a few members here done it and done it well! xrobot's ideea is better but you need all that stuff!
good luck and shoot any further question here! a brother pred need a bio to breath easily! lets help him!

Aw, snap. No freakin' ink left in the printer.

That sucks. Now I will have to wait until I can get my hands on some. No idea how long that will take.

Hmmph. Things can never go the way I want them to, can they?

The most annoying thing is that I have never, EVER even printed something. Blame my younger sister and her stupid pictures she has all over her wall.
...The one time I need to use it... Gah. But yeah, I'll create a new thread, once I get it started.

Anyway, two last questions: You said ''demold your model and voila ;a plaster bio!'' Do you mean that I should cut off the entire thing (plaster bandage, that is)? Or was it just if I did the ''alternative'' step? Never worked with plaster bandage before personally (seen others do it, though), so I don't really know how it works.

And... The ''dreadlocks.'' Will it be easy to attach 'em?

Thanks in advance!

1 : pepakura assembly
2 : a few layers of plaster bandages (it's easy ,take your time) for hardening the model
3 : plasteline or anything you want to add to make your custom design (take care to not make undercuts)
4 : a thin layer of vaseline as a demolding agent
5 : a few layes of plaster bandages ( 5-6 mm thick)
6 : after cured cutt off the interior ( the model)

after step 5 would be better to put a layer of resin to give strenght!
take your time and ask before if you don't know something!

That raps it up pretty well! Step-by-step descriptions rock, for sure.

IF I got this right, the plaster bandages is what the mask will be made of after I've done it all, unless I attach something to customize it. Is that right? The cardboard is only used as the ground for the project, but is then completely removed? If so, that sounds very good.

Alrighty, then. Hmm... To attach the dreadlocks, I will need to make a ''skin'' piece as well, at the back of the mask, right? How would I be able to do that? Any tuts on it? Sorry for asking so fridging many questions.

Oh, and I'm DEFINITELY gonna have something special in the dreadlocks. Like a scorpion... Or well, just any sort of trophy, and not just rings! Would seriously be awesome.

you got that , after all this story you remove the cardboard , the first layers of plaster , the plasteline ,all! this way you obtain a shell of plaster bandages but like I said you better give it strenght with a layer of resin!
about the way you put dreads on it ;I made something like that but it's quiet complicated and I don't know if your biu will sustain entire construction!
DSC09904-1.jpg

here is the way I made it ! I sculpted in clay directly on the bio, I made a shell of plaster and after that I removed the clay and obtain a mold ,in that mold I casted a special very sticky silicon!
maybe you can try to apply some expanding foam around and after is cured sculpt in it and paint it with acrilic colors!
bit first do the bio and we think together about that ,maybe somebody comes with ideeas?!

So the 5 to 6 mm thick plaster bandage I put on at the very end will be THE mask? Thanks for explaining further! And yeah, I should really not worry about the dreads right now, as it's the last thing I'll make... lol

Nice masks/helmets there, by the way!

Oh, so it's THAT important, huh? Alrighty.

For future reference: Is there any alternative to vaseline, in case I don't find any? Not sure if we have any around here. Should have some at the nearest tools/bikes/car parts shop, though. If not even grocery store!

any greas bro, the ideea is the finall layers not to stick on the model! make one attempt with different stuff ( not on the mask)!
vaseline is the cheapest thing!

Oh, I think I get it all perfectly now! After I have put on all the layers of plaster bandage, and have customized it, I have the ''model'' ready. To that, I just add vaseline, followed by more layers to make the actual mask.

This just sounds less complicated the more I'm understanding it! Which I suppose makes sense. But before this latest post, I wasn't thinking clearly at all. I really felt like ''hmm... this is going to get a bit complicated'' - but now I really, really do not. It only includes simple steps.

I, unfortunately, do have a final question about the actual model, though: When I ''cut the interior off,'' does that mean I cut the model in half, in order to remove it easily without breaking anything, or what? Take a knife and try to ''carve'' it out, following the sides? I just want to make sure! Better safe than sorry, right?

Sorry for probably being the most unexperienced member of all time on here, anyway. And for almost certainly appearing to be retarded. But I've never done this sort of thing before... Well, I have to start sometime, right?

no problem buddy , in order to do something is good to learn from others this is the lair for ,don't escuse yourself anymore!
you can remove the modell pice by piece with whatever you want but take care not to harm the finall product! begin from one edge and remove litlle pieces! have patience!

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back