BTTF III No:131 Train Pushing The DeLorean

Muzza

Sr Member
A very good friend of mine built this model of the Train pushing the DeLorean down the tracks until the boiler blew apart. A great snap shop off the film.
Davids Train.jpg

I was so impressed in his build I am going to give it ago and building my own one for the shelf.

Last edited:
I had the Idea for building this for some years, I collected the models I needed over time to complete this little venture.
boxes.jpg
This is what I am staring with 2 x General train kit in 1/25 and 1 x BTTF3 DeLorean kit.
Up till now I have purchased 4 x BTTF3 DeLorean every time I saw one I bought it for the this project so I had a choice of scales and manufacturers to use. But I went for the 1/25 scale car, and It match the tracks for the train perfectly.

Here is a mock up of the train so I could cut the plastic track to length. I have already started to build the train so there will be some build photo's missing that I should have taken to share.

a.jpg

I have also added a few lights, one in the main lantern in the front the smoke stack and the fir box I have added the fire affect from Evens design.
I also added into the fire box some timber logs made from Apoxi sculpt and some red cellophane crinkled up to add to the affect.

h.jpg

One of the next steps is to have a look at creating a rounded roof for the cabin as the ones supplied in the kit are flat. I will have a look at forming it out of of a piece of stock plastic card.

p.jpg

The DeLorean was next on the list to complete for this build. I used the Polar Lights snap kit as it was 1/25 and in scale with the train. The wheels fitted the rails for the train perfectly, I will weather the car once I have it lined up with the train on the tracks.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Please don't look too closely as there was still some panel line clean up to do after I took the photos.;)

Here is the first mockup with the boiler extended, and I have found a piece of reticulation pipe the right size for the extension needed in front of the smoke stack.

q.jpg

I used the second trains boiler to extend the middle of the engine, plus the second trains smoke stack was add to give the tapper cone look just like the filming train.

Found these at the local hardware shop (Bunnings) and thought they would come in handy for this project.
base 1.jpg
I hope my spelling is correct...
base 2.jpg
The base for the track to sit on.

When gluing the track section together I have added some scrap styrene across the base of the plastic to give me somewhere to glut it down to the wooden base I just made. Plus I can hide my wiring under the tracks and have my battery pack in the wooden base.
It pays when adding so many sections together to have them gluing together against a straight edge.
b.jpg

Wooden base completed. Tracks Primed and ready for painting I am looking to switch the colour to a gray for the sleepers with a wash and add some fine stones.

Letters added
5a.jpg

5b.jpg
Front light
5c.jpg
I have added a small light to the funnel just to give it a small glow under the dacryon filling that I will use for the smoke.
5d.jpg

Fire box is alive.

Working on the base, so I have a place to put the train when I am not working on it.

Rail sleepers have been primed painted a light grey.
Track1.jpg also added a wash to the sleepers.

Adding more tape and painted the track cleats Brown/red.
track2.jpg
Some stones have been added
track3.jpg Adding some blue paint giving them that Granet look.

track4.jpg track5.jpg Add a little wash to the stones plus a light dry brush of grey.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back