HO train weathering- anyone here into train layouts?

ID10T

Sr Member
So, my son has suddenly taken great interest in trains. Mom got him a small HO set and he's liking that, but was too rough and messed up the engine (another story)... But I got him some more track and a few old and new cars and engines from eBay, and I'd like to mess with them to weather them.

I have done weathering on some spaceship (Star Wars) models in the past, so not completely ignorant.

I did a search but didn't come up with much other than references to books that some refer to for other applications.

That's it! Post up pictures of trains and/or scenes you've built and/or weathered. And also explain the techniques if you don't mind. I'm not looking for close-up movie grade work, but just to make stuff look better than plastic boxes.

I was thinking of using a matte clear that has the white tint to it (that we normally avoid) as I'm thinking it would approach the "chalky" look of sun-faded paint. Then some detail fluids (black and/or brown) to bring up the details. Maybe some gray/brown dusting near the base? "Rust" for wheel sides maybe?

So, my son has suddenly taken great interest in trains. Mom got him a small HO set and he's liking that, but was too rough and messed up the engine (another story)... But I got him some more track and a few old and new cars and engines from eBay, and I'd like to mess with them to weather them.

I have done weathering on some spaceship (Star Wars) models in the past, so not completely ignorant.

I did a search but didn't come up with much other than references to books that some refer to for other applications.

That's it! Post up pictures of trains and/or scenes you've built and/or weathered. And also explain the techniques if you don't mind. I'm not looking for close-up movie grade work, but just to make stuff look better than plastic boxes.

I was thinking of using a matte clear that has the white tint to it (that we normally avoid) as I'm thinking it would approach the "chalky" look of sun-faded paint. Then some detail fluids (black and/or brown) to bring up the details. Maybe some gray/brown dusting near the base? "Rust" for wheel sides maybe?
I think that P-51 does great stuff with train;)

This chap on YouTube is a great resource for all aspects of the model train hobby. One of his playlists is specifically about weathering and ageing.

Marklin of Sweden

The most used techniques by train guys are using weathering powders/pastels

this guy does some great work

Another common technique is to "fade' the paint a bit by spraying a very thinned down layer of a light color like a white or gray which kind of gives a faded in the sun look. then spray a very thinned down dark brown around the bottom edges and the wheels to simulate dirt/dust kicked up

I don't have any train examples currently, but artist pastel chalks are something I use extensively for weathering and have done trains in the past. It's what I used to weather my 1/1000 scale TOS Enterprise model. I like the controllability I have with a pastel and a brush. I do it after decaling and the matte coat so there's tooth for the pastels. I shave them to make a pile of dust, then apply with various sized brushes depending on the area to cover or look I want. Then I seal it again with a light coat of matte clear spray. Works great to give an overall "grimy" look. I'd recommend first adding some dirt to the lower portion of the rail cars - boxcars look good with some tan "dust" or dirt on the lower portions. Coal hoppers look good when sprayed with matte spray, then faded with white, then a black dusting on the inside and the top.

Just a few quick top of mind suggestions!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back