BSG reboot reboot

Battlestar Galactica 1978 - Origin of the Cylons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXmTEciA7Mw#t=33

Whoa! never seen that...kinda cool...reminds me of the intro to Alan Smithee version of Dune.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with rebooting BSG, or any other show/movie for that matter, is that it's a very difficult thing to do right, too far to one side and you get a blatant rip off of the original with so little originality you might as well have not done it. .

Like The Force Awakens that just cleaned house at the box office?

These are people I want to see put down like the rabid dogs they are.

And you say the show is dark? That's a pretty dark assessment of the characters, i'd say. Good thing you aren't on a judiciary committee someplace... we'd all be sentenced to death just for being human.

- - - Updated - - -

...and yet it spawned a slap hazard rip off reboot years later! :lol

A slap-hazard RE-IMAGINING that won critical acclaim and is still popular with many even despite not being aired anymore, you mean.

Reboot, Re-bot, RE-IMAGINING, you say Potatoe I say Potatoe.

There was quite a few "Buyers remorse" threads here years ago akin to the Star Wars Prequels, i don't know if you were around back then but I always find those hilarious.

What I will find funny is when I DO get around to re=watching the NU-BSG I will probably REALLY like it!

Now THATS a scary thought! :lol

A slap-hazard RE-IMAGINING that won critical acclaim and is still popular with many even despite not being aired anymore, you mean.

Like The Force Awakens that just cleaned house at the box office?

Sure, TFA is a sequel long after the original but Star Wars is the kind of massive cultural phenomena that BSG never was and it's the seventh movie in the franchise so it's not really a direct comparison.

Always good to ignore the masses, fan-boys, and girls, and the Zealots!

You don't like it, you don't like it. :thumbsup

I'm glad to be here and finally find some people who did not care for the SyFy show. Most of the people I have ever talked to about it act like I'm committing sacrilege if I say I didn't like it.

In the commercial art business we have a term: "Lowest Common Denominator".
This refers to people with simple tastes and minimal education, who are easily led and mostly unable to form their own opinions.
They make up the vast majority of the US population.

Knowing what I know about the "Lowest Common Denominator", and knowing that most television, movies, advertisements, and music
is specifically designed to cater to this group, I don't judge media based on it's popularity.

NuBSG may have been a hugely popular show, but was it hugely popular because it was good? Or because it was hugely popular?

This refers to people with simple tastes and minimal education, who are easily led and mostly unable to form their own opinions.

Knowing what I know about the "Lowest Common Denominator", and knowing that most television, movies, advertisements, and music
is specifically designed to cater to this group, I don't judge media based on it's popularity.

NuBSG may have been a hugely popular show, but was it hugely popular because it was good? Or because it was hugely popular?

That is exactly right. Lots of music is popular because it caters to things that are already popular, not because it attempts to do something new or different. Lots of movies are the same way. Lots of TV shows are the same way. They don't try to start trends, they try to cash in on trends. They try to be popular by doing things that are popular, they don't achieve popularity because of what they are on their own.

It's sad how many people fall for it.

It's not even a question of "fall for it." I used to think that way, but I've come to the belief that there are plenty of people who KNOW they're consuming crap and just...don't care. It entertains them. Initially, I wanted to rage at them, until I realized that, as a guy with a fondness for Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins!, I'm really not in a place to throw stones, ya know?

I'm sure all of us have certain stuff we KNOW is crap...but we just...you know....like it anyway.

As for nuBSG's popularity, I enjoyed it, although I went into it fairly skeptical. The miniseries was offputting in terms of how obnoxious everyone seemed, but the first and second seasons really were a lot of fun to watch. They weren't anywhere near as "dark" as the third season and onward were. I thought the show was generally well made, the stories were mostly interesting and entertaining, and it honestly gave the sense of people in a war for survival. I think the writers were never clear with themselves on what they wanted to do with the plot, and ultimately that really hurt the show, in my opinion, but I still think that -- storytelling beats aside -- the show was pretty well done and entertaining.

I do have "buyer's remorse" based on the finale, but I'm someone for whom a bad finale will retroactively ruin and otherwise good experience.

The thing is, I never expected nuBSG to be anything like the original stuff, or even a continuation thereof. Also, while I enjoyed the original quite a bit, I wasn't dying to see a continuation of that series. To me, it was a fun show that ended up being fairly flawed, albeit still entertaining.

I get the criticisms of the characters in the nuBSG show, but I think that was more just a stylistic thing for the time period. We're seeing less of that these days, and in fact I'm seeing a lot more of a swing towards optimistic, upbeat material, which is a nice change of pace. I still like some gritty, grounded action now and then, but it's not like that's all that's available anymore, and that's good.

I suppose that depends on the individual.

For myself, I am far from the LCD. I liked it because I liked it...and very rarely do I like anything because of hype. Usually I tend to avoid things that are mainstream popular...at least until its unpopular...which is when it seems I often discover something.

But thats just me.

I should clarify - I don't mean to say that anyone who likes NuBSG is dumb or anything.
Most pop culture is LCD, and I like a lot of LCD stuff myself.
Heck, "Force Awakens" was about as LCD as it gets, and I voted that as my favorite movie of 2015.

It's not even a question of "fall for it." I used to think that way, but I've come to the belief that there are plenty of people who KNOW they're consuming crap and just...don't care. It entertains them. Initially, I wanted to rage at them, until I realized that, as a guy with a fondness for Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins!, I'm really not in a place to throw stones, ya know?

But there's a difference between enjoying something that you know is crap, I love bad movies but I don't spend my time telling anyone that they're great. They're crap, I know they're crap and I don't defend them as anything but crap. It's when you get people who watch crap (or what other people think is crap) and then try to defend it as the greatest thing since sliced bread that we get problems.

But there's a difference between enjoying something that you know is crap, I love bad movies but I don't spend my time telling anyone that they're great. They're crap, I know they're crap and I don't defend them as anything but crap. It's when you get people who watch crap (or what other people think is crap) and then try to defend it as the greatest thing since sliced bread that we get problems.

But the series wasn't crap by any meaningful metric. It may not have resounated with some but the story was innovative, the characters entirely new and unique, the visuals for a TV production top notch, the actors in general were super solid. The production design, art direction, sets, music, everything about the show was top notch and as I said, it was the first series to try and go "dark" and with great success. If you don't like it because it wasn't like the original or you just didn't like the characters that's fine, but you can't even remotely knock it for being commercial drivel. That reflects poorly on ones ability to evaluate a piece of entertainment. It laughable to level the criticism that this show catered to the LCD, it was a challenge to watch at times not because it was bad but because it was hard to watch these people do throw what they do. Kind of like the Walking Dead.
kin
le

Last edited:
@Bryancd: I don't think you understood my post. I brought up LCD to demonstrate that you can't judge a product's quality based on it's popularity.
Was "Jersey Shore" quality entertainment? Statistics will tell you it was.

I recognize that the show took risks. (It's too bad that every risk it took conjured visions of Fonzie jumping a shark tank on a motorcycle...)
But it was also a melodrama. The LCD masses love themselves some melodrama...
A lot of "normal" people I know dug the heck out of NuBSG.
My sci-fi fan friends? HATED it.

Edit: I'll also add that I've already stated that I would have liked it better if wasn't called "Battlestar Galactica".
If they had called it "People Who Are Actually Robots Who Look Like People Want To Kill All The People - IN SPACE!" I might actually be singing it's praises.
(Okay, no, I wouldn't. It would still be bad)

Last edited:
@Bryancd: I don't think you understood my post. I brought up LCD to demonstrate that you can't judge a product's quality based on it's popularity.
Was "Jersey Shore" quality entertainment? Statistics will tell you it was.

I recognize that the show took risks. (It's too bad that every risk it took conjured visions of Fonzie jumping a shark tank on a motorcycle...)
But it was also a melodrama. The LCD masses love themselves some melodrama...
A lot of "normal" people I know dug the heck out of NuBSG.
My sci-fi fan friends? HATED it.

Edit: I'll also add that I've already stated that I would have liked it better if wasn't called "Battlestar Galactica".
If they had called it "People Who Are Actually Robots Who Look Like People Want To Kill All The People - IN SPACE!" I might actually be singing it's praises.
(Okay, no, I wouldn't. It would still be bad)

But in the case of this show the combination of of the production and material combined with the critical and audience reception proves the show succeeded on all levels. The show is universally appreciated by pretty much every sci-fan on various communities I know, so don't put a lot of stock in your experience.

I don't appreciate it. :p It's the same for me vis-a-vis JJ-Trek, Bayformers, and Starship Troopers. If they'd called it something else and not used I.P. of the original incarnation, cool. If they'd used the name and I.P., but not in such drastically different ways, cool. But the collision of those (plus Ron making it up as he went toward the end) undermine the whole thing. It's not so much a question of whether they're bad. Plenty of stuff out there that's original and awful. What I'm getting at is how much better might it have been if it had been true to the source instead? It is possible to have both. I'm not trying to take away from those who liked it -- rather, I'm trying to convey that those who didn't like it might have, and those who liked it might have liked it more, had they not veered so far from the original concepts and underlying tone.

--Jonah

You know what I would like to see?

A reboot that connects to the rdm AND the original version.

One that takes place in OUR future. Where this whole mess happens again and it's a out us returning to kobol.

A sequel. Of each series

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

One of the things I really loved about the rdm galactica was the "all this has happened before and will happen again" thing.

I would love to see further reboots align themselves with that. There's certain poetry to it.

Kind of like the legend of Zelda. The way it's the same story that plays out ever millenia or so

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back