BSG reboot reboot

I realize I'm in the minority among the true entertainment opinion elite here, but I adore both the original BSG and the Ron D. Moore series. I rewatch both series yearly.

I don't particularly find any reason to reboot it again, but I'll be curious to see what character Richard Hatch plays in it.

The new Galactica started out okay, got better, and then turned into Battlestar Alcoholica with a bunch of unlikable boneheads cruising through the universe listening to Hendrix. Both the writing and CGI got worse as the show progressed.

I would love to see a return to the original Galactica universe that completely ignores the events of Galactica 1980. I don't see that happening but it would be nice. I'm sure they'll give some of the original and reboot cast members some meaningless cameos to placate fans of both series...whoopee!

NuBSG had its ups and downs but over all I enjoyed the series. I would welcome a reboot to see another take on BSG

I enjoyed the first 3 years of NUBSG thought it was great and then it just collapsed into so many squandered opportunitys and just plain blew. :unsure

I enjoyed the first 3 years of NUBSG thought it was great and then it just collapsed into so many squandered opportunitys and just plain blew. :unsure

fault has to lie on scifi who wanted the show to end at 4 seasons and not 5, so that last season felt rushed and discombobulated

I was a fan of the original series. I saw every episode when it was first broadcast. I even managed to see the pitch reel Richard Hatch was shopping around for years. When I heard they were going in different direction than the original series, I opted out. Even if it did turn out better, it wouldn't be MY BSG. If they return to or, better still, continue the original series, I'm in. Otherwise... ?

I'm up for it as long as its based on the orignal with original cast members (even if they just pop up here and there) and original looking cylons. None of this cylons that look like humans rubbish (How much did you save on effects there... convenient).

And original vipers..... they are the business. And I didnt like the documentary style space action. Please pruducers do something that rarely happens. LISTEN TO THE FANS!!
Look what happens when you do. Things like X-files comes back and works.

And movies get made like Deadpool.....

Speaking of which...... i'm off to watch Deadpool.

You can knock the show for its ending but that was a solid series and remains the only sci-fi show my wife has ever watched multiple times, so it had broad appeal outside of the original fans. That's what you call a success.

I agree.

Look... I *know* this is one of those arguments that can run as deep or deeper than Star Wars prequels good or bad...but regardless of the side that you fall on with NuBSG Bryan is right that it was a technical success, and managed to broaden the fan base quite a lot.

I couldn't care less, what made me hate the Syfy BSG was that all of the characters, pretty much without exception, were complete asshats. They were awful people. I wanted the Cylons to win, then when the Cylons turned out to be every bit as bad, I wanted them all to fly into the sun and die. Granted, that kind of happened in the end, minus the dying part, but it was just cringeworthy throughout.

Personally I think that was rather the point of the show: to stress that Humanity was indeed fallible, and that since the Cylons were a spawn of that humanity they were actually just as flawed, despite their contrary belief.

Don't you remember early on the question was asked "Does Humanity deserve to survive?" That was one of the main over-arching themes of the entire series.

A bit bleak, yes. But as I look around Humanity here and now I often wonder the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, get Hatch and Benedict back. I know Hatch would do it. Hasn't he been pitching it for decades? Maybe get that guy who was Boxey back. Whatever happened to him? Haven't seen him since The Neverending Story.

And for God's sake--make the Cylons look like Cylons!!!!

Never could get into that SyFy show.....

Hatch WAS back... IN the Syfy series.

And the Cylons DId look like the old Cylons in the Syfy series too. they introduced them in a episode that features a number of the old models which had not been "upgraded", and later they were featured in the Flashback movie "Blood and Chrome".

Personally I think that was rather the point of the show: to stress that Humanity was indeed fallible, and that since the Cylons were a spawn of that humanity they were actually just as flawed, despite their contrary belief.

Don't you remember early on the question was asked "Does Humanity deserve to survive?" That was one of the main over-arching themes of the entire series.

A bit bleak, yes. But as I look around Humanity here and now I often wonder the same thing.

There's a difference between fallible and being a complete failure. It was dark for the sake of being dark. If you look at the tone of the original BSG vs. the Syfy BSG, you see the difference. In the original, they were in the same situation, being hunted, looking for a new home, but they maintained an upbeat attitude. There was hope. In the new one, everyone just tossed their humanity out the window. They all became ********. They became reprehensible human beings, if you can even apply that word to them. If you want my answer to that question, it's no. They didn't deserve to survive. Neither did the Cylons. There was nobody to root for in the show, I wanted everyone to die.

This ultra-dark, awful tone that a lot of modern shows take really sucks.

In the original, they were in the same situation.

No, they weren't. There was one major difference right from the start: it was known in the NuBSG that Humans had CREATED the Cylons, whereas that was not at all a part of the original series.

This again was the jumping off point for the new series: that humanity would not only have to grapple with metal monsters bent on their destruction, but ALSO to grapple against the reality that THEY were the parents of the monsters.

BIG difference.

I suspect the dissatisfaction of most with the NuBSG stems from the same place that such disappointment often does: dashed expectations. In the end it is often not so much that the show in question has failed, but that it failed to go the way that this or that person *wanted* it to go.

fault has to lie on scifi who wanted the show to end at 4 seasons and not 5, so that last season felt rushed and discombobulated

That wasn't SyFy's fault, for once. It was Ron Moore who wanted the show to end after 4 seasons and not 5 and it really didn't feel rushed to me, not that I liked the way that it ended it definitely didn't feel like they rushed because it ending before they expected it to. SyFy actually wanted BSG to go on for at least another season but Ron told them no and that's why it was only 4 seasons long, of course, SyFy being SyFy there was no real guarantee that there actually would have been a season 5 and the show would have either ended on cliff hanger or a really rushed ending.

I did feel that the show really lost its way around season 2 or so, basically when they landed on New Caprica, it seemed like they'd written themselves into a corner and did the whole New Caprica arc to buy themselves some time as well as to give themselves a way to essentially reboot the show. It was starting around then that the show got really dark and bleak. Up until then, while it was a fairly dark show it wasn't overly so, in my opinion, and didn't seem so bleak either and I really enjoyed it up until the New Caprica arc, that's when I thought they effectively jumped the shark, even though I still continued to watch it until the end.

No, they weren't. There was one major difference right from the start: it was known in the NuBSG that Humans had CREATED the Cylons, whereas that was not at all a part of the original series.

This again was the jumping off point for the new series: that humanity would not only have to grapple with metal monsters bent on their destruction, but ALSO to grapple against the reality that THEY were the parents of the monsters.

BIG difference.

I suspect the dissatisfaction of most with the NuBSG stems from the same place that such disappointment often does: dashed expectations. In the end it is often not so much that the show in question has failed, but that it failed to go the way that this or that person *wanted* it to go.

Frankly, I don't think that the fact that we made them is a huge part of the story at all, in fact, it wasn't really addressed much outside of the mini-series that started nuBSG, at least not that I saw. It might have come up later in the series when I gave up on the whole hot mess. And let's be honest, the Cylons that were chasing humanity weren't metal monsters, they were, in every way imaginable, human, except where convenient. Oh look, they communicate with the mother ship... but we can't detect anything different in their brains that would allow them to do so. Their spines glow... unless it would be helpful in identifying them, then they don't. It was plot convenience theater, a sure sign of bad writing.

All that really mattered in either show was the chase. Humanity was being hunted, searching for a new home. But the difference lay in one critical element: hope. The original had it, the new one didn't. I have no idea why Millennials get into these ridiculous dystopian stories but they suck. YMMV of course.

- - - Updated - - -

That wasn't SyFy's fault, for once. It was Ron Moore who wanted the show to end after 4 seasons and not 5 and it really didn't feel rushed to me, not that I liked the way that it ended it definitely didn't feel like they rushed because it ending before they expected it to. SyFy actually wanted BSG to go on for at least another season but Ron told them no and that's why it was only 4 seasons long, of course, SyFy being SyFy there was no real guarantee that there actually would have been a season 5 and the show would have either ended on cliff hanger or a really rushed ending.

While this might not have been true at the time BSG was on, but Syfy has been giving shows an extra half-season to wrap things up, something they certainly don't have to do, but it's an interesting trend to say the least.

Man....That escape from new caprica was probably the most badass maneuver in sci-fi history.

It seemed like an impossible task.

But it was a perfect plan.

And unlike every other badass maneuver these days, it still made sense when you thought about it.

And I love how restrained the show was when it came to military stuff. So when they finally did that whole "drop into atmosphere" thing it had a sense of realism that someone like JJ Abrams can never get.

Personally, I feel like a lot of the problems of NUGalactica are the same problems that Old Galactica had. Mainly that you can only had cat and mouse episodes for so long. Eventually some filler shows up.

Is there any difference between the religious mumbo jumbo on the RDM show and the Beings of light that came into the old one?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back