BSG reboot reboot

The sidearm blasts thing was some of Asimov's input as scientific advisor, and one of the things I actually love. They actually are laser pistols. High-powered CO[SUB]2[/SUB] pulse lasers. There's a bright white flash at the gun's muzzle simultaneous with the sparky squib going off where the shot hits. Randomly, for a couple episodes about halfway through the season, they've all got red, streaking, Star Wars-style "lazer bolts" instead, and then revert.

Do quick Google search for "Battlestar Galactica lawsuit" and you'll easily find all the reasons Lucasfilm thought they wrre being ripped off. Some of them are reeeeeeeeally stretching. And, of course, it didn't help that Ralph McQuarrie did the concept art, so there are going to be some unavoidable common design themes due to artistic style. Just like how I can see design commonalities in Bob Fletcher's costumes for Star Trek: TMP and The Last Starfighter.

--Jonah

I thought the first two seasons of the new BSG were addictively brilliant sci fi television and I really enjoyed the series right up to the rescue in "Exodus" which was excellent .But then it did somewhat outstay its welcome and should have really concluded at the end of the third series.
But at least we actually got an ending to it all by the fourth (even if it was a bit of a muddled one) for which I am grateful, because so often we don't with many other shows. The "random" Cylon of the week and quality of the writing had nosedived quite a bit and it was unremittingly grim and "soapy" by then but didn't they have a writers strike that disrupted it????? Still ,despite all the daft plot holes it was a damn good sci fi show if a bit wearing. Yet when it was at its best I thought it did wonders for presenting interesting and complex roles for all the cast ,inparticular the ladies ,whose performances and characters were often unusually strong and well written for any TV series. Roslin and Adama encapsulate the difference between the roles of an elected leader and a combat commander and their relationship was key to the series as were a couple of others. Their last scene together still moves me to tears to this day.
I actually rather enjoyed the "Razor" stand alone more than "Blood and Chrome" for what it brought back to the series from the "old", loved that "Husker" sequence with the old Base Stars and toasters and the way it bridged the original and the new . And I'd still consider the ship designs for both the old and new series the best I've seen outside of Star Wars and the space battles still remain the high points for me.
Surprised at the strong feelings here, but I guess everyone has their opinions. I'm afraid mine is that BSG is done, I wouldn't remake it because all the plots have really been done and the mythology of it thoroughly explored. All you are really going to do is update the visual effects and really alot of those designs are going to be difficult to improve upon for a third time. I don't see what would really draw many fans to this from either of the two preceeding shows, particularly with all the new SW films coming, and given their strong loyalties to the either one or both.And If I remember correctly the whole "sueing" eachother for theft of ideas between Fox and Universal died when the TV series was cancelled and TESB and ROTJ had cleaned up at the box office. It just wasn't worth the effort or return for either party.

However, I do say the phrase "All this has happened before and will happen again" does seem rather apt in this reboot context.

I would like to see a continuation of the first series, throwing out the whole BSG 1980 thing

I agree with what many had said about the SyFy version. It was really a great show the first couple of seasons up until around the time of the New Caprica stuff. There were soem good scenes after that, but overall, I was just watching to see how it ended at that point

It took me a bit to get over the changes made to the original, but after the first couple episodes I actually started to like those changes

Ummm.... it had it's chance...30 some years ago. It didn't go past one season. So there you have it.

Sure, whatever. That's why Bryan Singer was working on a continuation/reboot/whatever that was shelved because of 9/11 and RM took it's name, characters, vehicles et al for the reboot.

Sure, whatever. That's why Bryan Singer was working on a continuation/reboot/whatever that was shelved because of 9/11 and RM took it's name, characters, vehicles et al for the reboot.
Did RDM actually use elements of singers BSG? Were some of the designs made for that and recycled into RDM galactica?

Yup, just to be clear, by laser blasts I mean actual bolts of red or blue coming from out of them, instead we only see a flash of light at the barrels and hear the sound effect to indicate that they've shot their guns. Like I said, laser bolts was one of the things that Lucas(films) didn't like about BSG, at the time he/they thought that laser bolts from handguns and riles was exclusively a Star Wars thing and that they had the exclusive right to laser bolts from small arms. Why this did not apply to the ships and only small arms I don't know.
Yep no laser blasts at all...

dvd_snapshot_41.54_[2014.02.15_16.41.25].jpg

Here's one of the ones they snuck in.

Byran Singer (and also Richard Hatch) were working on that "continuation" for a LONG time.

The fact that singer was working on a continuation doesn't say anything about whether or not the old school BSG should have "been given a chance" or not. It wasn't exactly on the fast track to production. Richard Hatch had to pour tons of his own money into his project just to make a trailer to show his concept...and the networks still weren't biting.

The point is that the property NEEDED some updating for it to fly in the modern era...and that is what RDM gave us. You may not like it...and that's fine. you're completely within your rights to think it's trash. However, that doesn't mean those who like it are wrong for liking it, either.

Look, I'm not hating on original BSG. As I said before I grew up with it and loved it. But even i could see that if they were going to try to 'revive' the property, it was going to need to be overhauled. And I personally think that they did the right things, all things considered.

It wasn't perfect, but it was still one of the best shows going while it was on.

Byran Singer (and also Richard Hatch) were working on that "continuation" for a LONG time.

The fact that singer was working on a continuation doesn't say anything about whether or not the old school BSG should have "been given a chance" or not. It wasn't exactly on the fast track to production. Richard Hatch had to pour tons of his own money into his project just to make a trailer to show his concept...and the networks still weren't biting.

The point is that the property NEEDED some updating for it to fly in the modern era...and that is what RDM gave us. You may not like it...and that's fine. you're completely within your rights to think it's trash. However, that doesn't mean those who like it are wrong for liking it, either.

Look, I'm not hating on original BSG. As I said before I grew up with it and loved it. But even i could see that if they were going to try to 'revive' the property, it was going to need to be overhauled. And I personally think that they did the right things, all things considered.

It wasn't perfect, but it was still one of the best shows going while it was on.

Well said. We will just have to agree to disagree on the RDM's reboot.

Edit:

I skimmed to fast and missed an important part:

Singer's Battlestar was well underway when 9/11 happened. A quick search brought up this link:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5028917/911-killed-bryan-singers-battlestar-galactica

Last edited:
Man... .I loved the reboot BSG. The original was fun but I was never a loyal followed.

I thought they did a lot of great things with the reboot. The ending was a bit of a letdown but after letting it sink in I thought it worked.

I'm not sure why we need another one. I'd say "so soon" but it's already been about 7 years since it ended already. I'm not sure what the grace period is for reboots now, but it seems to be getting shorter by the day.

Man... .I loved the reboot BSG. The original was fun but I was never a loyal followed.

I thought they did a lot of great things with the reboot. The ending was a bit of a letdown but after letting it sink in I thought it worked.

I'm not sure why we need another one. I'd say "so soon" but it's already been about 7 years since it ended already. I'm not sure what the grace period is for reboots now, but it seems to be getting shorter by the day.

Grace period = two weeks.

I loved the original BSG and grew up watching it. So when the reboot came out, I didn't want to see it. No Benedict or Hatch meant no Galactica for all I was concerned.

But when I finally got to see some of the new show, I realized how dumb I had been, dismissing it straight off. It was a really, really great show and I ended up loving everything about it. Even the ending.

So I'll just keep quiet about whatever they are going to be doing next and just wait and see it first before spouting an opinion.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back