Broom's Box from Hellboy made from pallet wood: WIP

sld34

Hi RPFers and, in particular, fellow Hellboy fans.

Over the last couple of COVID years, I re-skilled as a woodwork / shopclass high school teacher (called Design Technology here in Australia) and with that came access to our school's well-equipped woodworking room and equipment. To that end, I decided to make a prop that I have coveted for years; Broom's Box from Hellboy.

Being something of a cheap-a** and also wanting to not waste materials, I decided to make the box out of only recycled wood, specifically a discarded pallet I found in our loading bay. What followed was a five month learning curve that made me a better woodworker and, in turn, teacher. I thought I'd post a little production diary of sorts here as my students don't quite 'get it' as it is a niche prop from - in their eyes - an 'old film'. I hope some fellow Hellboy fans enjoy it and of course if people have any questions I'm happy to answer them.

Finally, thanks to the excellent forum threads here and all the contributors, without whose invaluable information I wouldn't have known where to start on this dream build.

Attachments

• 01BroomBox1.JPG
    01BroomBox1.JPG
    813.9 KB · Views: 262
  • 08BroomBox.JPG
    08BroomBox.JPG
    900.6 KB · Views: 259
  • 07BroomBox7.JPG
    07BroomBox7.JPG
    878.8 KB · Views: 237
  • 06BroomBox6.JPG
    06BroomBox6.JPG
    829 KB · Views: 207
  • 05BroomBox5.JPG
    05BroomBox5.JPG
    769.1 KB · Views: 195
  • 04BroomBox4.JPG
    04BroomBox4.JPG
    860.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 03BroomBox3.JPG
    03BroomBox3.JPG
    676.4 KB · Views: 224
  • 02BroomBox2.JPG
    02BroomBox2.JPG
    755.5 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Great work so far! With the price of materials these days, it is a good lesson to see a quality build made from found or recycled materials. Especially when you are going for an aged or distressed product. Keep us informed as to your progress.

This is a project I've been wanting to tackle for ages but I've been struggling to get hold of American White Oak. Your project gives me hope that an alternative wood might still capture the correct look. Great work.

Great work so far! With the price of materials these days, it is a good lesson to see a quality build made from found or recycled materials. Especially when you are going for an aged or distressed product. Keep us informed as to your progress.
Thank you! I certainly will. The big question will be how much weathering I add to it versus how much I try and hide some of the old nail holes and bring it 'up' to a neater look...

pallet wood makes me think this was inspired by jackman works.
It was more inspired by the youtuber Epic Upcycling, but you've given me someone else to subscribe to. Thanks!

Looks great, and thank you for sharing the cool build notes!
You're welcome! I really like doing them (when I remember to take photos) and they're helpful in class. I used the GoodNiotes app on my iPad. It's pretty great.

This is a project I've been wanting to tackle for ages but I've been struggling to get hold of American White Oak. Your project gives me hope that an alternative wood might still capture the correct look. Great work.
I had thought about using Vic Ash, which I have access to at school, but I'm glad I used what I had. It's been a fun challenge!

After putting this project on the shelf (both literally and figuratively), I was motivated to try complete it before the year was out. (Spoilers: I didn't.) Attached are the latest pages of my build notes for my Broom's Box. I'd say it's at about 80% complete. I'm very happy with where it is and am keen to continue on with it when I next get the chance.

Attachments

• IMG_0801.JPG
    IMG_0801.JPG
    819.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0800.JPG
    IMG_0800.JPG
    791.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0799.JPG
    IMG_0799.JPG
    862.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0798.JPG
    IMG_0798.JPG
    864.4 KB · Views: 91

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back