Borg Queen: costume under way.

Hey Mystique!! So glad you're here now.

I've been watching this thread with so much interest. I can't wait to see your finished project. Keep us up on the progress photos, they're awesome!!

Hey Mystique, I'm excited to be part of this forum now too, and I'd like for my first post to give koodos to your project. People, I've seen Mystiques project in person and she's got it goin' on. :cool

Mystique, did you try the suran wrap idea yet?

Hey Mystique, I'm excited to be part of this forum now too, and I'd like for my first post to give koodos to your project. People, I've seen Mystiques project in person and she's got it goin' on. :cool

Mystique, did you try the suran wrap idea yet?

I plan on doing so tonight!! I was trying to hold off until my new sculpting tools arrive.. but Im to excited to wait... since I ordered them from the UK.. who knows when I'll get em.. I'll have to make due with what I have. :cool

Thanks to you , JP.. Im going to redo the left check detail I showed you with the saran wrap technique. Im no pleased with the details.

More pics coming soon :)

Hey Mystique,

Glad you could join RPF. You'll get a lot of great info from the Trek guys here. Looks like great progress on the Queen Mother.

Thanks gang.. I've been sick with a head cold for the past few days :sick

I do hope to make more progress soon..keep and eye out for it :thumbsup

How in the world did you breathe when they had that thing on your head? I'm not even claustrophobic and I started to feel uncomfortable just looking at it :lol

-Fred

How in the world did you breathe when they had that thing on your head? I'm not even claustrophobic and I started to feel uncomfortable just looking at it :lol

-Fred

It really wasn't that bad.. Fred. The worst part was when they were applying the plaster bandages.. it got really hot!! :cool

Any how.. I have not been able to sculpt as much as I want to and it's all due to the fact, that... my hubby bought a new PS3 for the twins to enjoy (yeah, right!! :confused ) Needless to say.. Im addicted to Unreal Tournament and Rock Band :lol

BUT.. I was able to take a few hours last night to give you this progress report :cool

As you may know.. I've been having such a hard time working with the Chavant clay and few members have given me some wonderful advise on how to heat it up and keeping the clay warm..

Time: 9:10 pm

I first take several pieces of the clay and place it on a microwavable dish.
cast58.jpg

Nook it for 2 min.. turn the clay and then nook it for 1 min.
cast60.jpg

Once it's heated.. I place the clay inside a hot box I created. I made this out of a Capri Sun box and lined it with aluminum foil.. then place the box under a 60W bulb to help keep the clay from cooling down :)
cast61.jpg

OMG.. heating the clay and keeping it warm made sculpting so much easier..

Time: 10:35 pm

Here's what Ive accomplished.. I distributed the clay evenly through-out the top, bottom and sides of the head as well as the neck line.
cast62.jpg

cast63.jpg

cast64.jpg

cast65.jpg

cast66.jpg

Since I have mad skills in photoshop :love A member gave me the best idea.. to superimpose the Queen's side view image with one of my own so that I can establish an idea of how much I need to build my sculpt.
cast67.jpg

Time: 11:40 pm[/b]
Here you can see that I build up the top of the head a bit more
cast68.jpg

cast69.jpg

And that's one full brick of Cavant clay :)

more progress pics coming soon :thumbsup

That superimposing was a great idea, as was heating up the clay! It's looking good. Love the in progress pix. :)

Mystique, welcome to the RPF!

I love this project--you're gonna make a killer Borg Queen! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Just curious what your timeline is. Are you aiming to get er done by a certain con or something?

Keep up the awesome work! And again, it's very nice to have you here. :)

The Wook

Mystique, welcome to the RPF!

I love this project--you're gonna make a killer Borg Queen! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Just curious what your timeline is. Are you aiming to get er done by a certain con or something?

Keep up the awesome work! And again, it's very nice to have you here. :)

The Wook

Thanks Wook.. YES, My goal is to have this completed by Dragon Con 2009 :)

Sorry it took so long for this progress report.. but here she is..

Time: 9:31 pm
Here I am building up the clay to fill in the top of the head.
cast70.jpg

Time: 11:00 pm
The final results before I start ot add the loom wire details.
cast71.jpg

cast72.jpg

Speaking of which.. any thoughts on how I may be able to build the "metal hook like" appliance? It looks like some kind of bio-mechanical toy I saw at Target.. perhaps I can modify something similar and paint it chrome? Thoughts?

Thanks team (y)

Speaking of which.. any thoughts on how I may be able to build the "metal hook like" appliance? It looks like some kind of bio-mechanical toy I saw at Target.. perhaps I can modify something similar and paint it chrome? Thoughts?

Thanks team (y)
I would make sure the head and skin sculpt is done first so you can make sure and/or fit fork tips in the flesh area and have the right contour on the mechanism and mold it separately.

You may have to piece some stuff together and/or sculpt it as well. Try going to Skycraft on Fairbanks and I-4 with some reference photos and you may find all kinds of stuff there including the hoses.

I would make sure the head and skin sculpt is done first so you can make sure and/or fit fork tips in the flesh area and have the right contour on the mechanism and mold it separately.

You may have to piece some stuff together and/or sculpt it as well. Try going to Skycraft on Fairbanks and I-4 with some reference photos and you may find all kinds of stuff there including the hoses.

OMG.. Skycraft is my hubbies second home :thumbsup

Yeah.. but don't I need the materials first in order to make sure the appliances will fit accordingly?

OMG.. Skycraft is my hubbies second home :thumbsup

Yeah.. but don't I need the materials first in order to make sure the appliances will fit accordingly?

I was thinking somehow to incorperate the whole head as a sculpture and be able to remove the mechanics and mold them seperately. You are going to want to make the mechanics as light as possible unless you create a fiberglass form over your head and under the appliance for strength. You may have thought about other ways,I'm not sure. What exactly have you thought about, if you have that far in advance. :confused

I was thinking somehow to incorperate the whole head as a sculpture and be able to remove the mechanics and mold them seperately. You are going to want to make the mechanics as light as possible unless you create a fiberglass form over your head and under the appliance for strength. You may have thought about other ways,I'm not sure. What exactly have you thought about, if you have that far in advance. :confused

I was hoping to make them separately and cast them out of fiberglass resin.. that way they can be easily painted.. but if you think that may be too heavy.. then Im open to suggestions.

A member did mention Zoids parts but I just viewed an online cataloge and didn't find anything similar..

I guess I may have to sculpt this piece myself... the problem is I CAN NOT SEAM TO FIND A GOOD ENOUGH REFERENCE PIC OF TE BACK OF HER HEAD.. Gods FRAKKIN damit!!! :wacko

I was hoping to make them separately and cast them out of fiberglass resin.. that way they can be easily painted.. but if you think that may be too heavy.. then Im open to suggestions.

No that shouldn't be too heavy--if you made it out of actual metal it would be. You could even cast it out of a two part urethane and extended the solutions, before you mix it with ceramic microspheres, which would make it really lite. There's even microspheres for resin that will make it lighter as well.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back