Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Sculpting finished page 45

There seem to be a lot of differences in the original Alien, it makes it difficult to create a specific version because it'll always appear wrong to one person & right to another, I'm attempting to get an overall likeness that I can look at & say I'm happy with that :)

The metal parts of the lips are the overall thickness, they wont be covered with rubber. One version (the stunt version I believe) has thicker lips that look as though they're made from a small bore convoluted tube. I think the Rambaldi lips maybe a little thinner :unsure

I shaped & positioned the metal parts of the lips to fit over the teeth in a closed position, the upper lip actually sticks out 8mm from the gum, Here:
678.JPG

At the moment I'm creating these with the mouth closed but I want to make these from rubber. I'm kind of hoping that the small part that connects the upper & lower lips will stretch enough to (at the very least) pose the jaw open enough to see the tongue. I'm expecting to have to re-shape this a little for a mouth fully open pose while trying to keep the lips the same shape :)

Last edited:
Fantastic sculpt, I am a fan of the process as much as the finished product of these kinds of builds. Great job and thanks for taking the time to post so much detail.

Looks great, Leigh. So you're going for two separate lip/tendon sculpts? You're a bloody hero. :)

Yeah the stunt version seems to have different teeth as well. Not sure what's with that?! And lips so fat, someone must have punched it in the mouth. I guess they'd have wanted a cheap, one piece soft rubber cast for that purpose. They probably did what you're doing - sculpted onto a hero casting, but a bit more crudely. :)

Leigh, wondering if it might be a good idea to start at least the front part of the dome while you're doing the face itself. Might help you balance things out more against the ref, if that makes sense?

This is just roughed out, I'll be making the dome on the other head & it'll be mostly polyester:
679.JPG

680.JPG

:)

Last edited:

Wow, suddenly that looks weird. Gotten so used to the skull, haha!

Looks fantastic with the dome. I wonder though, you seem to be sculpting the lips - more to the point - the folds around the lips in clay - which I'm sure you know were stretched condoms that had a translucent effect to the lip/gum area.

Have you thought about leaving that area blank and actually using some latex condoms or other material to replicate that instead of sculpting them and hiding all that nice gum detail?

Anyway, this is looking so great. Probably the best ALIEN head made since Giger's.

Wow, suddenly that looks weird. Gotten so used to the skull, haha!

Yeah, I'm thinking the same :unsure I'm quite liking the shape from the side but not from the front! I'm gonna have my work cut out getting the dome the right shape :unsure

Looks fantastic with the dome. I wonder though, you seem to be sculpting the lips - more to the point - the folds around the lips in clay - which I'm sure you know were stretched condoms that had a translucent effect to the lip/gum area.

Have you thought about leaving that area blank and actually using some latex condoms or other material to replicate that instead of sculpting them and hiding all that nice gum detail?

Anyway, this is looking so great. Probably the best ALIEN head made since Giger's.

Thank you :) there's no obligation to use the sculpted lips but they're there if wanted :)

looking good so far!!!! :)

Ditto. Side is good, front's a bit of a puzzle.

Veedox, there's been a bit of discussion of the different kinds of lips, if you read back in the thread.

Looks like you're getting some lens distortion with the camera because that head-on shot of the dome looks huge! Otherwise, everything else looks spot-on to me. Will you be doing the fully closed lips monkey face alien? Just kidding!

You have been very good! Have you been able to put the emphasis on the striking of the "prominent jaws chasing in the dark." In the first film by Ridley Scott, Alien moved slowly and it was not an animal like in his later films, but Alien contained in itself the metaphor of death, something that is slow, inhumane and that comes sooner or later. This is seen not only for the presence of the skull and ribs and appearance skeletal, but also by royalty that is emphasized by the two large collars at the sides of the head. In order not to make this too explicit metaphor, Ridley and Giger have obscured the front of the transparent dome to accentuate the mystery, fear and anxiety. Without eyes in which to read a soul, Alien represents "nothing" you can swallow, it is also why they have emphasized the jaws. :thumbsup ;)

Who created this sculpture has made ​​explicit the meaning of death. It is clearly seen.

gigerbust1.jpg

Last edited:

Anymore progress, I'm having Bob withdrawals!!!! LOL

Sorry David, Nothing spectacular I'm afraid. :( I've had a little break from him for a few days & the last couple of days I've slowly been getting on with the lips & tendons.
I'll be taking some snaps in the next day or two & I'm going to be looking for criticism, I quite like what I've got but I'm interested in what others think :)

Thank you :)

Here's those pic's:
681.JPG

682.JPG

684.JPG

Thing's have been a bit slow lately, I haven't had my head in gear :wacko

I'm liking how this looks now though.
I've tried to incorporate features from two of the three faces used in the first film, I've also tried not to go overboard & clutter things up to much. I'll be looking for criticism on this part :)

Last edited:

Loving the work here bud, and thanks for the progress pics. Always a treat to view. :)

David

Its quite symetrical...a bit of an un-even snarl would for sure fit the face

Love it! :)
I really like the folds under/over the lips. The texture looks nice too.
And this will all be one piece of rubber right?

Loving the work here bud, and thanks for the progress pics. Always a treat to view. :)

David

Thank you David :)

Its quite symetrical...a bit of an un-even snarl would for sure fit the face

Thanks :) I've been trying to avoid Symmetry from the start, my thinking being that nothing in nature is symmetrical. If you really look at the front view you'll see some subtle differences side to side. I didn't think a "snarl" would be appropriate for Bob. Only the later variants of the Alien were articulated enough to produce a realistic snarl. The original could tilt the sides of the lip wire up at the rear, I did try it out but it just didn't look quite right. I fear it would start to introduce the basis of a personality, the first Alien acted on pure instinct :)

Love it! :)
I really like the folds under/over the lips. The texture looks nice too.
And this will all be one piece of rubber right?

Thank you :) Yes, that's the plan. To cast it in one piece clear rubber but I'm still not sure what rubber to use at this stage. I want to avoid Latex but it needs to be almost as stretchy & paintable. So I'll be sending off for some samples soon :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back