Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

yeah, i was noticing that earlier. i really think they just kind fudged the seam, and it was a little different every time they put either bolaji or the stuntman in the suit.

i'll look and see if i can find any reference pics, but i'm pretty sure you're working from everything i've ever seen and much, much more.

i think you've got one or two extra vertebrae at the top of the sternum, right between the collar bones/shoulder ridges.

Thanks :) TBH I'm happy with the pics in the link Fred posted I'll use those for reference for now. From what I can tell & that the suit in the link was listed as a prototype, it appears they may have cut bits off the suit as filming progressed. I'd like to aim for the earliest version with this as it'll be closer to how Giger intended it or originally sculpted it :)

There are some real interesting little features in these new pic's that I couldnt see before. Although I've noticed the flash lines on other pic's, they really stand out in these pics. My intention is to mould Bob's head in the same way, in 3 sections although I want to cast him in urethane.
They used polyester to make the original heads, its interesting to see just how thin it was.

Question: when they cast the original, would they have layed up the resin & matting on each individual section of the mould & then joined the mould peices together?? I just cant imagine it would be easy to try & lay grp in the mould when its assembled. Limited access especially to the rear of the head :confused

Fred, thank you for posting that link :) those images are exactly what I was looking for. I can now get that throat/chest interface a bit more accurate (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

You're welcome Leigh ! When I saw these pics, I knew they would be useful to you and Bob !

:cool

BTW, I think this uncompleted suit was an attempt to turn the Alien into something translucent, at least that's what I think now because some of the production photos showing it at the time of Alien on Propstore are also displayed on Andrew Ainsworth's site... and I know he was hired to help the Alien creature team bring this option to life (and of course it failed).
It's my best deduction right now...

:confused

Fred

You're welcome Leigh ! When I saw these pics, I knew they would be useful to you and Bob !

:cool

BTW, I think this uncompleted suit was an attempt to turn the Alien into something translucent, at least that's what I think now because some of the production photos showing it at the time of Alien on Propstore are also displayed on Andrew Ainsworth's site... and I know he was hired to help the Alien creature team bring this option to life (and of course it failed).
It's my best deduction right now...

:confused

Fred

H R Giger writes about it in some detail in the book Giger's Alien. Its quite interesting, I'll quote a bit from the book, its H R Giger's diary of events during production for those who havent read it:

3 August 1978, Shepperton Studios at last we have got to the point where all the moulds needed for the Alien's costume are lying in the plaster's workshop. Since several casts will have to be made from each mould, the moulds have been made of a hard-wearing silicon-rubber with a plastic sheath. Andrew keeps producing more and more experimental transparent costumes. However, the ideal solution has still not been found, because the material is not resistant enough, and tears. Andrew has built a special oven for this work in which the moulds rotate at a constant speed so that the liquid rubber is spread evenly. Unfortunately he still hasn't produced anythng we can use, and time is running short.

12 August 1978, Shepperton Studios Andrew has still not come up with any satisfactory results. The moulds have been badly damaged by his experiments and by the great heat, and have to be patched up by the plasterer's in meticulous detail, or even made all over again. The only conculsion that Andrew has reached is that what we want can only be done with metal moulds. We simply haven't got time to make such things, and the Alien hysteria in the production department is reaching a climax. They have to start shooting very soon and we still haven't got a single costume that can be used. Time is too short for anymore experiments, and we decide to make the whole thing of latex. We finally have to give up our dream of a transparent Alien.

For any of you interested in all things Alien that havent got this book, I highly recommend getting it! its a great read with some awesome pic's :)
I didn't realise at the time but I got this book when it was first published by Titan books in 89. I used it for inspiration on my 5th year art exam :)

Fred, the one in the link could well be one of these attempts as you say. I've got to admit I wish I had £8000 burning a hole in my pocket right now, I'd snap that up if I did :love

I feel stupid now cause I re-read the propstore's description and noticed they described this suit as a prototype made to test a translucent option...

:facepalm

And thank you Leigh for posting excerpts from Giger's Alien, I totally agree this book is a goldmine of infos for every hardcore A L I E N fan ! (Bought mine in 1980 and I clearly remember how all my pocket money went into it)

:)

Fred

Last edited:
That book gives an interesting look into Gigers life and mind - thats one weird and cool little Swiss dude :)

Last edited:
I had totally forgotten I even owned it until I stepped out of the theatre after prometheus. Bought it years ago as I was an alien fan from a much younger than appropriate age!

Now that I'm starting to get into props and costumes I feel so lucky to have picked it up all those years ago!

That book gives an interesting look into Gigers live and mind - thats one weird and cool little Swiss dude :)

Well I don't know about you lot, but seeing that prototype suit gave me my first glimpse of the back of the aliens knee. :)

Thanks guy's :)

Well I don't know about you lot, but seeing that prototype suit gave me my first glimpse of the back of the aliens knee. :)

:lol I thought that when I first looked at those pics aswell :lol

Well, again I apologise for the lack of updates lately :( I wont go into why etc :)

Anyhoo, Last week I got some work done on the fin. Its got a polyester skin now & on wednesday I'll be popping along to the local butcher for some bones :D
I did a little research & the long thin spiney bits on the top of the fin appear to be from a lamb. So I took a pic & went to see my local butcher & he agree'd they do look the same, so he said he'd keep some back for me :D
I'll have to boil them in water to clean all the flesh n stuff off & then glue them together, So should be quite interesting.

Yesterday I got a good 8 hours in :) I was re-working the chest & neck.
With the new pics in hand I ended up starting over with the vertebrae that run down the center of his chest, I had to re-position the ribs & he has an extra rib either side now.
I spent alot of time trying to get the spacing just right where the vertebrae & the ribs are concerned & I'm pretty sure I've got it :)

A pic from earlier in the day:
424.jpg

There were lots of other little bits that needed some attention aswell.

Moving on to the throat area, its the forth time I've resculpted the throat & although it looks about right compared to some pics I'm still not 100% happy with it :rolleyes it looks like its pretty much there but I cant quite put my finger on what the problem is :confused
I'll have another play with it today & see if I can get it looking better.

After yesterdays efforts:
426.jpg

427.jpg

I still have some smoothing & texturing to do but I'm happy with the chest overall :)

Last edited:
I think I've pretty much run out of words, so I'm just gonna say keep up the unbelievable work, mate. :)

Mister, I'm absolutely in love with your alien. I am a huge fanatic of the iconic figure of HR Giger's Alien, and i'm sure he would be totally proud of your build =)

Thanks for the support guy's :)

nick, Thanks for the pic's :) I do have some of those already & they have been usefull (y)thumbsup:thumbsup
What I'd really like is a good look at the throat with the chest in place as well, its how the two parts meet that I cant seem to find a good pic of.
TBH I dont think theres much more to see, Its just something doesnt look quite right :confused

I didnt actually do anything to Bob today, I did spend a fair bit of time looking at the throat & rubbing my chin though ..... and its the thought that counts, eh :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back