Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

:eek

Leigh, BOB looks fantastic. I'm sure you'll make the right decision on the shoulders although it does look good with them...... :confused

Excellent work on the neck area! I'm sure you'll have no problem sorting the neck to jaw connection.

Is is weird that all I could find myself thinking when watching the new Aliens:Colonial Marines trailer was 'Poor Bob'? XD

It is just jaw-dropping, Leigh.

Personally...I love the shoulders and I hope you keep them. If you're thinking it might be a big deal to mould and cast, maybe they could be sectionalised, and made an option?

Giger himself needs to see this! BTW, it wouldn't be Alien if you did not add the shoulder pauldrons. :)

I second keeping the shoulders. Don't psych yourself out; you've got this! The sculpts I've seen done in the past, the fins (Spines on the back, you're talking about, I'm assuming) are usually cut off the main sculpt with fishing line and molded separately. Hope that helps!

Gods balls.....that's just incredible!

If you ever get any broken/damaged casts when you're done, please let me know.....i'd love one of these, but would never be able to afford a perfect one....:$

Rich

Thanks for all the kind words folks :)
Ok I guess I'll be keeping the shoulders then :)
I've made a start on the fin, I'll update on that tomorrow with some more pic's if all goes well.
I thought I'd better make a start on the fin as the base of it blends into the back of the neck, its also giving me a little break from working on the head :)
I will have to add to the base of the body a couple of inch's or so, which will make him taller but I'll be able to fit the top two tubes on his back with the extra height.

Thanks again :)

Pic's of the fin :) :
293.jpg

291.jpg

292.jpg

I'll glue this on as is, then cut the main fin off & create a join for it. It means I can carry on sculpting the clay on the neck & flow it into the base of the fin.

Although I'm generally happy with how its comming out at the moment, I'm open to critisism on the fin & how it fits the back, there may be something I'm missing in the shape :)

Last edited:
I think the rear of it could curve up a little more, matching the curve of the rear of the head. It needs to be thicker, but adding the spines will do that. It may be a little too long, versus some reference, but other reference disagrees. It's a great start, anyway.

I think the rear of it could curve up a little more, matching the curve of the rear of the head. It needs to be thicker, but adding the spines will do that. It may be a little too long, versus some reference, but other reference disagrees. It's a great start, anyway.

I've been thinking the same as you & the thing that I think makes it look a little awkward is that we're used to seeing him standing upright.
With this leaning forward pose it makes everything look a little odd atm.
His head is in the same position in relation to his body as if he was looking up, So I've had to carve the fin as if it were bent down a bit so that its not hitting the underside of the head.
Hopefully it'll all come together with the addition of the pauldrons on the shoulders :)
Regarding the thickness I have got to cover it with something, either clay or filler & add the spines as you say.
:)

Last edited:

I'd have to agree on both the curvature and the length. You're basically going for this pose, correct?
fin_ALIEN-11.jpg

Of course, looking at these two shots, I now fully understand your dillema:
suitalien3.jpg

27720001e2.jpg

It would appear to me, that unless you want to skew the bust, so that the bug has it's head turned, that fin is going to be more or less touching the back of it's head. Have you thought about twisting the pose rather than fighting the fin?

PS: I have to admit that in 20+ years, I have NEVER noticed that fin. Thus my errant previous comment. Good grief... :facepalm

Darth Pinhead, Take that top pic & tilt his head up as if he's looking forward, thats the pose I'm working with.
I cant twist his head sideways at this stage, it'll mean completely undoing all the throat work & starting again.
So I figured he is supposed to be the perfect organism right, so he must have some control over that fin otherwise he'd be wanting to rip the thing off after a few times of bashing his head on it.
With that in mind I've come to the assumption that he can move it down so its not in the way :D
I think I will chop an inch off of its length when I make the join to the back & I can tilt the end up a little more.
I've actually just glued it on the back & PVA'd it so I cant do much more untill the PVA's dry, probably tomorrow now.

The only ref pic I can find of him in a similar pose is one where he's having a pop at Lambert, but you can only see his front half in the pic which isn't much help :unsure

Thanks for the feedback so far guy's, I like to throw around a few idea's :)

length and thickness of the fin looks good to me Leigh. Once the bones are added it will give it the familiar shape. Very nice! :)

DP, it's 33 years. :lol

Leigh, I wouldn't want you to try to turn the head. It might work well enough but a) so much work and b) what you said. It's got to have muscles and be mobile, otherwise he'd have real trouble getting through narrow air shafts etc. :)

I reckon it would look pretty good just from adding in the spines, but a bit more curve at the rear would definitely help. You know you won't be happy otherwise, LOL.

So I figured he is supposed to be the perfect organism right, so he must have some control over that fin otherwise he'd be wanting to rip the thing off after a few times of bashing his head on it. With that in mind I've come to the assumption that he can move it down so its not in the way :D

I actually really dig and agree with this argument. Sort of a secondary tail, if you will. So, keeping with that theory, I say you continue as were and just curve the fin to make it fit the pose!

DP, it's 33 years. :lol

Yeah, but I've only been staring at it for 20. My mother wouldn't let me watch it when I was younger, lol...

This is the problem I think, lets say the fin was the right shape it's still going to look a little odd & its all about asthetics so somehow :D I've got to try to make it look good even if its wrong :lol
I shall have to do a little more jiggery pokery & see what I can come up with.
I'm sure I read somewhere that the fin & the tubes are something to do with his extra senses :confused
Thanks again for your input guy's :)

Last edited:
Have been away from this tread for a little while but I love the progress with the bust.IMO I think once you've put the spines on the fin, it will be easier to judge the size and shape better.Anyway, lets be honest,you'll sculpt once,change it,do it over,re-sculpt AGAIN!,then go back to the first look:lol.HEY!....HEY! Leigh's better half! If your reading this make sure his head doesn't explode from over-thinking this before he's finished.:behave! :thumbsup

Have been away from this tread for a little while but I love the progress with the bust.IMO I think once you've put the spines on the fin, it will be easier to judge the size and shape better.Anyway, lets be honest,you'll sculpt once,change it,do it over,re-sculpt AGAIN!,then go back to the first look:lol.HEY!....HEY! Leigh's better half! If your reading this make sure his head doesn't explode from over-thinking this before he's finished.:behave! :thumbsup

:lol you got me sussed :lol

Ok, How's this look: :)
294.jpg

297.jpg

I've cut just over an inch off the length, curved the end up a touch, recessed the top & added a few bits.
I think its a vast improvement so far but I feel theres more to do yet :)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back