Blank firing Blade Runner Blaster - Advice needed.

Hope the aluminum works out better for you!

I dunno, Noeland the whole Deckard's blaster ship has long since sailed. This is totally my PKD at this point. I wrestled with that stupid chunk of metal through more than a few self-actualizations. It'll always have a beadblasted-esque finish from the vice grip gouges. The silly things seem to infuse a part of yourself through creation (yeah, freakin' thing got in my head bad). I may crank out a perfect aluminum guard in a day and toss the other one but it'll be hard,

For the second trigger I'm weighing options for functionality. Now I always imagined the Steyer receiver as being a bolt-action launcher similar to the new BSG. I don't see anything like that possible but they do have lasers that can burst balloons from across the room. Totally doable with a 5.7v battery and a recharge port either in the fifth LED or the grip frame dimple. There are flashlights (meh), laser sights (useless)... any ideas?

Theoretically... you could calibrate the laser to a set effective distance and use the bolt handle to focus the laser lens for a determinable range.... hmmm...

You'll figure it out. It's one of those projects that will gnaw at you until it's done. Well I guess they're all that way.

BTW, You don't have to use channel locks and vice grips to bend the metal. There are several hand held, and tabletop bending tools available that are not super expensive that might help you out. Heck, I've used wire benders, tube benders, bending jigs, hand held sheet metal seaming tools, etc to bend metal lots of times. All in ways those tools were not designed for, but worked well for. ;)

Also, you can get the scarring marks from the tools out of the metal with some sand paper and elbow grease.

"You'll put your eye out, Kid!" heh, heh. But yeah, that's actually very much a thing. Burning lasers will indeed put your eye out. Phhhpbt, you think the fx-saber forums are full of engineering nerds. Dip a toe in the laser forums... Jiminy.. :/

Turns out the entry-level balloon-popping laser is 405nm 100mW, blue-violet. <$20 shipped on eBay.

IMG_20200717_171732929.jpg

Can run off an 18650 battery from Solo's Hold (support our brethren) and the grip dimple is the perfect size for a 2.1mm recharge port (Custom Saber Shop). The solution is deceptively easy... I ain't buying it... and yes I will be VERY careful...(Jeez):

IMG_20200717_193828236_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Last edited:
Daaaaang... I was just idly doing research and it looks like Rich C. (racprops) got banned. It'd be nice to have a reason next to BANNED... like "for excessive toxicity"... :)

Sorry if this has already been said, but keep in mind that pewter/zinc is an extremely brittle metal, which is what the side plates are made of in these kits, it would be a lot safer if you got the side plates milled out of steel or maybe aluminum.

Sorry if this has already been said, but keep in mind that pewter/zinc is an extremely brittle metal, which is what the side plates are made of in these kits, it would be a lot safer if you got the side plates milled out of steel or maybe aluminum.

Thanks man, but no problem at all with the side plates. Being a blank pistol the cylinder gap is very precise and since the pistol is front firing (gas goes out the front unobstructed) rather than top firing there is no real back pressure to cause damage. Except for some powder fouling no real effect at all that I can tell... imagine puffs of admittedly hot, sooty air.

Last edited:
I don't know if there's a problem with it necessarily, but one issue I had when doing it on mine was that the Zoraki grip frame had to be pretty thin in some places to fit the outer. Replacing the barrel was fairly easy for the gunsmith I took it to. You'll still have issues getting the fired gasses out safely around the cylinder covers.

I don't know if there's a problem with it necessarily, but one issue I had when doing it on mine was that the Zoraki grip frame had to be pretty thin in some places to fit the outer. Replacing the barrel was fairly easy for the gunsmith I took it to. You'll still have issues getting the fired gasses out safely around the cylinder covers.

Sweet BR12819! How did you handle the 2nd trigger? Got a write up or pics of yours?

Last edited:
Incorporating the 2nd trigger is still vexing me due to how the main trigger is designed. You'll notice the plate for getting at the inner workings goes all the way under the cylinder. There's springs in there for the trigger return or cylinder advance if memory serves me correct. I was hesitant to start cutting out material there to make room for the forward trigger lest I muck up the inner workings. I started flattening out the frame right where the front of the trigger guard is in hopes i could put something static in there.

Here's a link from a long time ago, Ive been working so much I haven't had time to get it back on the bench: Propsummit.com a Blade Runner Prop Community Forum BladeRunnerProps.comView topic - New Project: Blaster Homage

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back