Blade Runner Prop Replicas

:lol :lol :lol

I love this thread.. Seeing this first thing in the morning really kicked off my day just perfectly.

Hey, with all these clear and accurate ID cards posted, no more need spending money on inaccurate ones plus we now have the line of novelty Deckard cards. Gotta' love it.

<div class='quotetop'>(franz bolo @ Sep 1 2006, 09:03 AM) [snapback]1311189[/snapback]</div>
Doesn anyone here have any pics of older I.D. replicas?

I'd like to see how close people got.

FB
[/b]

Here's a few I have or snagged online, I'll look for some of the older ones...the ones with the scowling face, red "V" and the weird interpretations of the diamond 8. I have one other set, but I am forbidden to post it.

ComparisonLR.jpg

In retrospect, it does seem kind of unlikely that Deckard's ID would show him wearing the exact same shirt and tie that he wears in the film.. :lol

- k

<div class='quotetop'>(Skyler101 @ Sep 1 2006, 04:27 AM) [snapback]1311017[/snapback]</div>
Anyone know who the character of James Jacobson is in the film. I thought he might have been Holden, but then I realized I was wrong. Anyone got an idea who he is/was? Im guessing he was someone of stature in the script, as he has an ID made for him...
[/b]

I got the idea he was one of the cops. I thought it was interesting though that his card has the red X through it just like Deckard's.

So either Jacobson is another bladerunner, or else the X means something else entirely, such as "denied Off-World immigration due to medical reasons".

- k

I thought i read on here that only NON-replicants can see the red X. Actually, i think it may have been from Phil re his wallet set, but i may be wrong.

Either way all this new info about the props is very interesting.

cheers

<div class='quotetop'>(28injection @ Sep 1 2006, 02:29 PM) [snapback]1311392[/snapback]</div>
I thought i read on here that only NON-replicants can see the red X. Actually, i think it may have been from Phil re his wallet set, but i may be wrong.
[/b]

Well there are a lot of myths out there.

So is there a way to print an image front and back, or should I just print both and laminate them together for a quick and dirty ID (if that's kosher? Is it ok to make myself one from the images here? I don't want to pull an EDC...)

I don't think anybody here would mind you making one or two or three for personal use, but when you start selling them en masse for personal gain it becomes an issue.

Profitting from the work of others is not cool. :thumbsdown

Bruce

<div class='quotetop'>(KarlBud420 @ Sep 1 2006, 10:01 PM) [snapback]1311522[/snapback]</div>
I don't think anybody here would mind you making one or two or three for personal use, but when you start selling them en masse for personal gain it becomes an issue.

Profitting from the work of others is not cool. :thumbsdown

Bruce
[/b]
^Quoted for truth.^

Keep in mind that the photographs I took are still copyrighted to me... I have posted them up for folks to see, and analyze, and discuss. But please don't make stuff out of my photos and sell them. At least without discussing it with me first. :unsure

Non-profit personal use is of course encouraged. :D

- k

I'm hot on the trail. I heard back from Tom Southwell today.

And now the origin of the Police 995 or is it 99S font.....

Another tidbit form Mr. Southwell:

"Oh, here's a thought: The POLICE 99S type face was based on a record album (12 inch Vinyl) of Groucho Marx. I hate computer type usually but Ridley wanted very complex stuff so it seemed right. "

rec-groucho.jpg

Note: 99S rather than 995. He mentioned this in our phone conversation, but I shrugged it off.

More to come.

More from the man who designed a lot of the print work for the film. In Tom's own words...

"Our badges were not as nice as yours and rougher, which was just as Ridley Scott wanted.
The future is less perfect than now."

"The police card had bits of complex graphics I chopped out of graphis magazine and idea magazine (Japan) but just fragments. The idea here was to make something hard to forge much the way they have complicated the USA currency notes recently.

We were going so fast and didn't have a lot of time to start from scratch every time."

"Another major source of inspiration for Ridley Scott and the look of the film was Heavy-Metal magazine (MetalHurlant in France) with particular focus on Moebius. Ridley would look at my first graphics and say :" No. Make it look like heavy metal", so my spinner logo looks like it's made out of LEAD ......... then he gave me a magazine and I finally got it. So look for early Mobius strips of future cities and streets and flying cars and you'll see an early image of BR. You will see lots of alpha numeric signage in Moebius' work, ... thus my idea of adding 99S to the logo."

I sincerely I hope this will be of benefit to BR prop fans. I plan to post this along with more exerpts from my interview on my BR site spinner44.com in the next few weeks.

Thanks for looking.

<div class='quotetop'></div>
So is there a way to print an image front and back,[/b]

Most photo printing software in the printing prefrences options has an option to center the image on the paper, print this way flip the paper and print the back... Depending on your printer and how accurate the paper feeds it should line up...

Those are some awesome insights, Spinner. :D :thumbsup

Wow, you mean all this time that number on the police logo was supposed to be "nine-nine-ESS"?. :eek

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back