Blade Runner Prop Replicas

<div class='quotetop'>(Kevin @ Sep 7 2006, 02:00 AM) [snapback]1314649[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(eltee @ Sep 7 2006, 07:28 AM) [snapback]1314615[/snapback]
No agency I know of does a red X. Where I work, the retirees just have "RETIRED" added to the rank line of a regular issue ID card and a panel stating Retired is added to our badge. This is pretty common practice throughout law enforcement. FBI agents have their credentials actually punched full of holes that spell RETIRED and their creds are mounted on a plaque. They receive a different one piece ID card to designate their retired status.
[/b]

Not disagreeing (obviously.) but given BR's streetspeak culture with English, Chinese and Japanese (& the rest) in use, perhaps a graphical representation might work better. What better to indicate "non-valid" across cultures than a huge red cross?

Just an idea.
[/b][/quote]

Hi Kevin. That makes some sense. My comments were in response to a posting regarding current, real ID's and not a future, fictional ID.

The red X is interesting. Was it (as someone indicated) a highlighter to indicate the person identified thereon was a replicant since the red was not visible to the replicant?? Does it mean X-cop? Is it an authenticity component with imbedded but invisible data, only readable via scanners inc. the ones built into cops' visors? Was it propmakers' mischief, back in the early 80's did they speak amongst themselves about ****ing with the minds of prop fans 24 years hence by adding an enigmatic X? :unsure

That they show the X on the Wondercon ID card only adds more mystery to "Secret of the Red X."

I don't like the idea that replicants don't see the X. It wouldn't take too long before some member of the general public asks "Why's there a great big red X on your ID?" and the cat's out of the bag. :D

I still favour the idea that it signifies an former officer. However, I also like the idea that there's data encoded in there somehow. Amongst other things I make security holograms so I know there's a world of stuff I could encode into that.

Oh yes, and we should remember Spinner44's revelation from Tom that he sent it to Ridley WITHOUT the X and Ridley had it added. It must be significant somehow.

Has anyone discussed Sebastian's keycards?
These were from a cut scene. After Roy kills Tyrell then Sebastian, he takes his jacket to get to his keys so he can get out of the building....

From the close-up here, it appears the key is similar to Deckards apartment key. It has arrows at the top.
Most likely it would have a Tyrell owl logo.

Bryan

keycards.jpg

Wild. I never noticed that before. I've had that photo for a while and never saw the card in his hand.

Sharp eye.

Nick

<div class='quotetop'>(Kevin @ Sep 12 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]1318474[/snapback]</div>
I think that the V ID card is a found item. I have said this before. I don't think it has been made over the top of a BR ID. I think they both share the same parent object. If I were doing that in 1981 (when I worked in reprographics) I would have made my "hero" ID (whether on an existing item or from scratch). I would have photographed that item on a flatbed camera and then modified the negative image. Personally I would have originated the ID with black rub-down lettering on a white background and I'm pretty sure that's how most of the BR props were made. The high contrast plate negative would then give me a lovely clean and shiny black version with clear lettering. I'd offer this up to white card. Anything needing colour would be added then. First the cross using rubylith (which is used in plate making for reprographics) and then a passport photo of Harrison Ford. You probably wouldn't need to laminate that for use in a wallet, but if you wanted to add text to the back then lamination would be your best bet.

[/b]

Like you, I'm 100% possitive the V-ID is not over the BR-ID. I think your right about them using rub down letters and rubylith to make the base graphics. I think it was mentioned that the black Japanese text on the back was cut out of a magazine. I think they would have made a PMT Photostat for the base black graphics.

I think they would have to laminate it though. I'm sure they would have used Rubber cement thinned with Bestine for the glue. Once they overlay the X and glued the photo down, I just don't see them not laminating it.

The photo might fall off and the edges of the amberlith would get messed up being in a wallet.

How do you think they colored the Diamond8? I think maybe they used Design markers or it was a silkscreen. I'm tempted to get some of these silkscreened and then adding the X and the photo.

Anyway, great work on the Key Card.

FB

I don't buy the 'X' as replicant theory either. It would imply the lowliest cop was 'in on it'. Too big a secret. If it means 'retired', why is it on the Worldcon card?

Probably Ad markers, and not silkscreen. These were done "fast" right?

Man, I have a can of Bestine in my basement left over from high school. I think I've moved almost a dozen times since then, and I've never thrown it out.

Wonder if it's evaporated by now....

Also, if anyone needs it, I have a sizable chunk of Rubylith I can part out.

<div class='quotetop'>(Birdie @ Sep 12 2006, 08:35 AM) [snapback]1318499[/snapback]</div>
I don't buy the 'X' as replicant theory either. It would imply the lowliest cop was 'in on it'. Too big a secret. If it means 'retired', why is it on the Worldcon card?
[/b]

Maybe it's just a design element, similar to how French police have lines across their ID's.

FrenchPoliceSample.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>(eltee @ Sep 12 2006, 04:59 PM) [snapback]1318515[/snapback]</div>
Maybe it's just a design element, similar to how French police have lines across their ID's.

FrenchPoliceSample.jpg

[/b]

I like this idea. Also, since he "retires" replicants, perhaps it's suggestive of elimination. Maybe it shows at a glance that he's a bit like 007, licensed to "retire".

Military Id's look the same except for the color. When I was active Army, it was green. When I got into the National Guard, it was red.

FB

What color IS the background of the ID?

If black, here's how I'd have done it back then:

Black hand lettered top (I think that's what Southwell has said) and Sector 8 logo with rubdown letters for the badge number on a white background. Take this and photograph it using a graphic camera and output an acetate negative where all the elements that were black are now transparent, and all the elements that were white are now black. Lay the acetate negative on white cardstock. This will allow the Police lettering and badge numbers to be white. Between the white card stock and the negative, place orange paper in the area just where it will show through on the Sector 8 logo. At this point you've got all the elements but the X and photo.

Add the X with amberlith, rubber cement a photo on, then laminate.

<div class='quotetop'>(SFPROPS @ Sep 12 2006, 05:18 PM) [snapback]1318525[/snapback]</div>
What color IS the background of the ID?

If black, here's how I'd have done it back then:

Black hand lettered top (I think that's what Southwell has said) and Sector 8 logo with rubdown letters for the badge number on a white background. Take this and photograph it using a graphic camera and output an acetate negative where all the elements that were black are now transparent, and all the elements that were white are now black. Lay the acetate negative on white cardstock. This will allow the Police lettering and badge numbers to be white. Between the white card stock and the negative, place orange paper in the area just where it will show through on the Sector 8 logo. At this point you've got all the elements but the X and photo.

Add the X with rubylith, rubber cement a photo on, then laminate.
[/b]

Perfect.
And if you're doing the other cop, use a larker pen to colour his hair so that it will react with the glue on the laminating plastic.

<div class='quotetop'>(franz bolo @ Sep 12 2006, 12:07 PM) [snapback]1318518[/snapback]</div>
Military Id's look the same except for the color. When I was active Army, it was green. When I got into the National Guard, it was red.

FB
[/b]

Actually Reserve IDs were PINK 'bro. :lol The CAC replaced the laminated cards except for Retirees which now get the blue laminated IDs which used to be Officers.

Last edited by a moderator:
<div class='quotetop'>(SurferGeek @ Sep 12 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]1318532[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(franz bolo @ Sep 12 2006, 12:07 PM) [snapback]1318518[/snapback]
FB
[/b]

Actually Reserve IDs were PINK 'bro! :lol The Common Access Card replaced the laminated cards except for Retirees which now get the blue laminated IDs which used to be Officers.
[/b][/quote]

You must be thinking of the NAVY's cards. :D Mine was Red. :p

FB

Last edited by a moderator:
The new "smart cards" with the gold chip on them are issued with instructions not to get them wet. Yep, soldiers, sailors, marines...stay out of the water.

Since there seems to be two "ID" threads now, I'll post this over here as well.

Here's how we can determine the size of the ID card. My drivers' license card is the same size as the Worldcon ID, BEFORE lamination

wcIDvsNYDL.jpg

And the drivers license is also the same size as the card visible in Deckard's wallet in the screen grabs.

HDvsKTDL.jpg

Therefore the prop card is the same size as the one seen at Worldcon.

- Karl

licence.jpg

Amazing the detail you can gain from a blurry drivers licence :p

For the non US punters on the board exactly what size is a US drivers licence? Is it the same size as a credit card?

Any reply would be much appreciated.

Cheers Chris.

Here you go:

The ID-1 format specifies a size of 85.60 × 53.98 mm (3.370 × 2.125 in). It is commonly used for banking cards (ATM cards, credit cards, debit cards, etc.). It is today also used for driving licences in many countries (including the United States and European Union), retail loyalty cards, and it is one fairly common format for business cards.

This is what I used for the ID replica I made.

FB

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back