Blade Runner Inspired Office Build: Deckard's Apartment

Really great ambiance Sir :cool: :cool: (y)(y):notworthy::notworthy: Yep, these doors should be a dark brown with steps moldings around those...like the front door of the apt. in the movie:cool:
Yes, that's the plan.
Regardless of how I end up doing it (milled overlay or routing a solid slab) it will have a similar look to this, including the brass apartment number 9732. Finding the exact font was impossible so I'm going to have to make it myself.
1674397239139.png

1674397262988.png

1674397206389.png

1674397221005.png

Yes, that door is a bit finicky to build; all of those little moldings will have to be cut, nailed/glued and that's a long day just doing that. (y)

Small update: So far this project has gone fairly smoothly with only a couple of small hiccups. My first "set back" we'll call it, is that I've been struggling with the downlights on the soffit and how to get the light to look correct, as well as install the cut-out tile in a way that could be removable if I needed to swap out a light if it burns out.

In the film, the downlights are recessed inside of the same Ennis tiles but there's an L shape cut out of the center that follows the inner design of the tile.
1675017882637.png

1675017903550.png
1675017925155.png

In my head, the small round dimmable puck lights would work because I could just cut some frosted plexiglass to fit inside the L-shaped cut out and it would diffuse the light.
1675017986918.jpeg

It seemed like a solid idea, but the real-world execution of it didn't really work out the way I'd hoped.
The plexiglass is so close to the light itself that there's almost no distance between the two so the light can't diffuse. Not good.
_nc_ohc=IGdqP49aaIwAX_ILazV&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

I even tried applying translucent film over the plexiglass but that just created a mess of bubbles wrinkles, and uneven lighting.
I was quite disappointed because it was a lot of time and effort to install the lights for it to not look the way I wanted. So I started looking around for other options.
I feel like a complete idiot for never even thinking of this before purchasing the puck lights, but apparently they also make large square LED panel lights! Ugh! I was actually upset at how perfect these were because now I absolutely HAVE to redo them! I would never be happy leaving them in their current state now that I know these exist!
_nc_ohc=RpOywV0r9zQAX_38uli&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

I ordered just one light to test before spending more money (they're significantly more expensive than the small round ones). I spent a couple of hours today test fitting, measuring, and installing it, and trying to figure out how to mount the tile in a way that is removable. The tiles don't have much to mount to since they're thin styrene so I cut some slices from a wooden dowel to add surface area and used 3M DualLock to "stick" them to the soffit so I can pull them off if needed. I'm still using the frosted plexiglass as it is cut to lay flat against the inner wall so there's no visible gap.
1675019507863.jpeg
1675019519103.jpeg

I also applied some foam trim on the soffit to act as a seal to prevent light from leaking out of the edges of the tile.
Here's the final result! Much better. Now I just have to repeat the process 6 more times!
1675019049491.jpeg
1675019062079.jpeg

I also moved in a couple of items to get an idea on placement. ;)
1675020283033.jpeg
1675020294502.jpeg

1675030316381.png
1675030348451.png

Last edited:
Well, there you go; didn't know those square lights existed (y) (y) As for any use of frosted or translucent film; the distance of the light from the surface of your frosted plastic is key as you have discovered. ;) Love the Japanese painting (was in the corridor, leading to the exit in the movie) is a cool add-on! Are you planning on putting some wear & tear on those lights or just leaving them clean and sharp?

Well, there you go; didn't know those square lights existed (y) (y) As for any use of frosted or translucent film; the distance of the light from the surface of your frosted plastic is key as you have discovered. ;) Love the Japanese painting (was in the corridor, leading to the exit in the movie) is a cool add-on! Are you planning on putting some wear & tear on those lights or just leaving them clean and sharp?
I'll be weathering the entire thing. I'm in the process of testing different washes and grime levels on a test tile. The flat paint soaks up the wash very quickly so I'll only have one shot at getting it right or I'll have to repaint. :)
First quick pass on a single test tile.
_nc_ohc=ad0Hndo6YBsAX8p7Rf2&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

The real ones were very dirty.
_nc_ohc=x5_mr1dWyH8AX-vd20h&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.png

1675024110201.png

_nc_ohc=CAjqWNowi40AX8bzA83&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back