Blade Runner Inspired Office Build: Deckard's Apartment

Trooper_trent - what is your plan for the other/back side of the door, in terms of the handle?
Since the handle won't have any kind of spindle or latch, I'm going to just use a spring-loaded roller catch on the side where the normal strike plate is. That way it will be just a pull style door that stays in place when closed.
1708007899280.png

I have a magnetic stopper I'll use to hold it open as well.
1708007960046.png

The inside will just be a dummy doorknob to pull it open. I found a nice set of matching vintage Art Deco style knobs. One for the interior of the office door and one for the closet.
1708007765223.png

Last edited:
I dropped the printed door handle off at the local foundry yesterday.
Wow! what an unexpectedly amazing experience! The owner, a very nice old man, who had been there in the same building since 1972, showed me around the entire operation. We started at their office where they take in sculptures, 3D prints, designs, etc. and start working on them. He showed me lots of really amazing bronze statues and pieces they were working on for various art installations, schools, hospitals, celebrity homes, etc. Then he took me through where they make molds of the sculptures so they can cast them in wax before doing the investment casting. He showed me where the clean up happens and I got to watch the girls that were working on cleaning out the imperfections on some pieces from the casting process where bubbles remain, causing little beads of bronze to be left on the piece. He showed me the patina room where they apply all manner of finishes and plating, and he showed me their smelting operation where they do pours 2-3 times a week with a gigantic amount of bronze. Some of these pieces were larger than life statues. It was amazing to see up close. I wasn't expecting any of that. It makes the door handle that I end up with mean even that much more, getting to see all the work that goes into making something like this. I'm very glad I went this route.
It's still going to be extremely expensive for a one-off door handle, but much less expensive than having it 3D printed in metal at shapeways, and with much better results.
He said they'll add it to the items to do next week so I'm hopeful that I'll get the finished piece fairly soon! When I go back to pick it up, I'll try to take some pictures.

Additionally, the 100+ year old door knobs for the interior of the door arrived this morning. They're exactly what I wanted and feel like they will match the style of the door nicely.
1708194648814.png

Last edited:
Great story Trooper_trent! Happened to me also (Foundry in Montreal) where I had to mold an entire Art Deco statue in aluminium.
Sand casted and a free visit of the foundry was a real bonus(y)(y) That Art Deco knob looks real good and I'm eager to see the other handle, of course:cool::cool:

I have a little bit of an update this morning! I just got an email from the foundry that my print has been cast and assembled. What you see here is the raw bronze with no cleanup or patina added. The piece next to it is the sample I asked him to match in terms of finish. I'm really excited! I think it turned out beautifully!
IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg
Screen Shot 12-11-23 at 05.25 PM 00.PNG

Awesome once again mate. That room will be truly an escape into BR fantasy land. What’s next?
Once the doors are done, I'm basically finished with the room. i would like to eventually redo the base boards with a taller, black baseboard similar to what's in the Ennis house but so little of that is visible due to all the furniture, that it's not that big of a deal.
Other than that, it's jut hunting down little found items to continue adding to the collection.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back