Blade Runner Blaster Mod - .410 "Shorty" dual barrel shotgun

Very nice concept design and final product! Those printed parts are perfect. If you don't mind me asking, what printer and material did you use for the green parts?

Sincerely,

Rick

Very nice concept design and final product! Those printed parts are perfect. If you don't mind me asking, what printer and material did you use for the green parts?

Sincerely,

Rick

I bought an anycubic photon. It's quite cheap, but I am really happy with the prints :)

Off-topic, but here's a tiny ZF-1 I printed with that printer :)
Found a 3d model for it, and reworked it, to fit to the small scale.

IMG_20190205_113723.jpg

And I've been casting some more grips, as well as made a second pair of molds for those, since the resin takes 72 hours to cure.

IMG_20190204_184934.jpg

Finally, I've made a template for the boxes, and test cut one box.
Going to print them tomorrow :)

IMG_20190205_183726.jpg

Today we printed some boxes, and I'm really happy with the outcome :)

IMG_20190209_002104.jpg IMG_20190209_002139.jpg IMG_20190209_002222.jpg

Not too much more progress otherwise, since we had a big moving day in the maker space today.
But tomorrow work continues :)

I bought an anycubic photon. It's quite cheap, but I am really happy with the prints :)

Off-topic, but here's a tiny ZF-1 I printed with that printer :)
Found a 3d model for it, and reworked it, to fit to the small scale.

View attachment 987103

And I've been casting some more grips, as well as made a second pair of molds for those, since the resin takes 72 hours to cure.

View attachment 987101

Finally, I've made a template for the boxes, and test cut one box.
Going to print them tomorrow :)

View attachment 987100
Thank you. It looks like that printer is well worth the money and ideal for the small parts. I worked with the 3D Systems Projet 1500 to print some of the parts for my spinner. It was considered to be a professional resin printer, but for every single successful print it made, there were 4 to 5 rejects. In addition it was constantly breaking down and 3D Systems had to keep sending out service teams to restore it. It was a nightmare and proved to be too cost prohibitive to finish my spinner project. I may consider purchasing the AnyCubic Photon one day for the small parts. Thank you for sharing that information.

Regarding your gun project, it looks really nice and I like the packaging detail too.

Thank you. It looks like that printer is well worth the money and ideal for the small parts. I worked with the 3D Systems Projet 1500 to print some of the parts for my spinner. It was considered to be a professional resin printer, but for every single successful print it made, there were 4 to 5 rejects. In addition it was constantly breaking down and 3D Systems had to keep sending out service teams to restore it. It was a nightmare and proved to be too cost prohibitive to finish my spinner project. I may consider purchasing the AnyCubic Photon one day for the small parts. Thank you for sharing that information.

Regarding your gun project, it looks really nice and I like the packaging detail too.

You're welcome! :)
Other than the Anycubic that I bought, I only had access to a Form 2 resin printer, which I used to print the masters for the grip molds.
The quality of the Anycubic is not as good as the one of the Form 2, however it's coming close.
About the reliability I can't say too much yet. I've had some failed prints, though out of about 20 prints I had 4 failed ones which I guess is actually a good success rate for a cheap printer like this. Most of it is I think a problem with the settings of the slicer and the resin that I use.

However, one thing that is worth mentioning is, that the smell of the resin is quite strong, so I can only use it in the workshop.

You're welcome! :)
Other than the Anycubic that I bought, I only had access to a Form 2 resin printer, which I used to print the masters for the grip molds.
The quality of the Anycubic is not as good as the one of the Form 2, however it's coming close.
About the reliability I can't say too much yet. I've had some failed prints, though out of about 20 prints I had 4 failed ones which I guess is actually a good success rate for a cheap printer like this. Most of it is I think a problem with the settings of the slicer and the resin that I use.

However, one thing that is worth mentioning is, that the smell of the resin is quite strong, so I can only use it in the workshop.

Can I inquire if there is a difference between the stench of the resins you're using between the Form 2 and Anycubic Photon?

Can I inquire if there is a difference between the stench of the resins you're using between the Form 2 and Anycubic Photon?

Sure! :D
I have to say, the Form2 doesn't have a noticeable smell at all. At least the grey colored one I used.
While the official resin by Anycubic smells quite strong. It's hard to explain, but the closest it came to I'd say is a liquid rubber spray.
In conclusion, I'd definitely not use it in a place where I would have to work next to it all the time.

Once cured however it's not that bad anymore.

There's a huge google doc list I found from people that also used different resins, but since the printer is new for me, I didn't have the chance to also test some of those yet. Maybe there are some that smell less.

I was considering a photon but the horrible smell/stench turned me off of it (among other things) as I don't have a space with good airflow/ventilation to use it. Saving my rupees for a form2.

I can’t believe I missed this thread this whole time!!! Absolutely amazing work!

Please add me to the list if there is still time.

Would love to add this one to my collection!

Hey guys,

I'm terribly sorry for not posting any updates in the past months! :(
However, I was really consumed by work even though that was something good.
I actually had the chance to produce some props for a Warner Bros. series that had a stunt unit in Austria, as well as some props for the local television.
That was a huge chance that I just couldn't let pass. ;)

BUT!!
I did use the last month to finally get back to the project.

Here are some new pictures.

I've almost finished 10 of the fully cast versions.
IMG_20191003_101154.jpgIMG_20191003_101201.jpgIMG_20191003_101408.jpgIMG_20191003_101644.jpg
For these I decided to print the triggerguard with an FDM printer, so it would not break that easily, compared to the resin trigger guard.
Also, I cut away all the cast screws, and instead replace them with real screws.

And I'm working on five of the model kits with the aluminum parts.
IMG_20190922_174645.jpg
Since I was not really happy with the outcome of the casts, I continued to print all the parts with my resin printer.
I will soon try to make a build video of one of these, and post it here.
IMG_20190820_230513.jpgIMG_20190820_230531.jpgIMG_20190901_153923.jpg

As for the grips, I also did a series of tests for finding the right material/color.
IMG_20191012_120631.jpg
I've now tested 5 different resins, and finally found one that I'm quite happy with.
Also I tried to adjust the color acording to the video of Adam Savage, meeting the original Blade Runner prop.
I don't know of course what kind of color grading is used on the video, however, this, as well as other pictures that I found seem to show, that I still have to have less red, and more yellow compared to my recent test.
The Tomenosuke blaster however seems to have more red.
Hard to say which direction I should go now.
IMG_20191003_101208 (1).jpg

Anyway, again I'm really sorry for being inactive on the forum for so long, and I hope there are still some people interested in this project :)

Cheers,
Phil

Attachments

• IMG_20191012_120637.jpg
    IMG_20191012_120637.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 226

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back