Blade Runner: Black Lotus

Gimpdiggity

Master Member
00557C28-D725-40DB-9248-11CC2C903F40.jpeg
EDE41A8B-8620-4332-AE85-F7B8CCC450C5.jpeg

Here are the first two stills from the upcoming Adult Swim anime, “Blade Runner: Black Lotus.”

It’s set to be a 13 episode series, with some fairly prominent names involved in directing and producing.

More info here:

So far it's seems that the general "look" of the first movie was respected. Hopefully, the story is very good.

Visually, it looks great. But the music! WTF! Really? From the sublime Vangelis mood-music of the original to some generic auto-tuned wailing indistinguishable from any other example of its type? Hopefully, someone just crammed that nonsense in there just for the trailer, but if that's what we can expect in the series itself (along with some pretty bad voice-work too, by the sound of it) I'm afraid I'm not going to survive the first episode, much as I want to love it.

Visually, it looks great.

Did I just watch the same trailer you did? Visually this is rubbish. A mish-mash of styles with shoe-horned references from the original film (the Bradbury) and the sequel (the LAPD building and Spinner). Video game cut-scene animation which is sterile and lacking in detail, with no real attempt at lip-sync (looks like it should be on a Playstation 2). Then we have a teenage anime-girl main character who does bullet-time fighting and uses a Samurai sword, really? Finish it off with bad whiney-girl music (agree with you there).
This whole thing is garbage and a real insult to the legacy of the original movie.

Last edited:
I totally agree about the dated animation style and soundtrack choice, but I've got two major issues about content:

-It looks like yet another story about some "special" 90-pound girl who can beat up and best people double her size and with actual experience (see also Star Trek: Picard and Disney's Star Wars). It's funny because the way she goes down from someone simply bumping into her early in the trailer is actually much more convincing.

-Blade Runner is a philosophical sci-fi series for people who don't mind using some brain cells when "consuming" media. Why do they want to change it to whatever the hell this trailer is selling??

It's all so boring, but at least we got 2049 and the anime that came from that.

I totally agree about the dated animation style and soundtrack choice, but I've got two major issues about content:

-It looks like yet another story about some "special" 90-pound girl who can beat up and best people double her size and with actual experience (see also Star Trek: Picard and Disney's Star Wars). It's funny because the way she goes down from someone simply bumping into her early in the trailer is actually much more convincing.

-Blade Runner is a philosophical sci-fi series for people who don't mind using some brain cells when "consuming" media. Why do they want to change it to whatever the hell this trailer is selling??

It's all so boring, but at least we got 2049 and the anime that came from that.

Maybe she's a replicant? Agreed that it looks abysmal though.

I'm sorry but...I wont be watching that stuff.:( I'm not one to criticize too much, knowing how much work is involved making a short movie/CGI or any project of this kind. That being said, the token vehicle or any other piece of architecture/design from the first BR will not make this something watchable! Most particularly for the real fans:rolleyes: I had high hopes...but no longer.
Music? Sorry, but it's not what I would expect from this type of movie.
Overall look? Again, not really my cuppa...looks like a video game for PlayStation.
Story? Well, the "Girl-with-special-powers" Zeitgeist is getting old...and fast!
Animation? Could be better for sure!
Oh well...
The BR fan-made short made by our friend Luka is a 100 times better than this...whatever you can call it:devil:

I definitely would have preferred the Black Out style as well, but I'm guessing it's a budgetary thing. Black Out was only something like 20 minutes while Black Lotus is slated for 13 episodes and cgi is cheaper than hand drawn. I didn't care much about the female character either, but the glimpses of the guy in the trench coat who actually resembles Ray McCoy from the Blade Runner game seems interesting. Which also reminds me, where is that Blade Runner Esper Edition of the game that is supposed to be getting released on all platforms? Last I heard it was still slated for release this year.

This is made by the same people that had done the 3D-animated Ghost in the Shell series — which was widely disliked because of its animation style that made it look like a video game, and that it changed the tone from the original source material. (It was miles better than the live-action movie, but still)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back