Limited Run BLADE RUNNER 2049: Officer K (Ryan Gosling) Jacket/Coat - NOW SELLING

Re: BLADE RUNNER 2049: Officer K (Ryan Gosling) Jacket/Coat - PICS updated Oct. 23

How is this coming along? Any luck with the waterproof coating yet?

Looking further into the usage of material on the original coat, it seems that it was indeed standard cotton canvas that was first laminated with a polyurethane or some such, and then painted to give it texture and take off the shine before the coat was put together.

I'm not even sure what type of paint you'd use. Perhaps the same kind of stuff you'd paint onto leather? Would it have been a translucent paint or are we thinking the green tint comes from the paint finish and not the material itself...gah so many questions.

The cotton > laminate > paint combination certainly explains why all of us have had such a hard time nailing the material/finish. The waterproof finishing covered with a paint is probably what early buyers mistook for leather.

Is any of the above finish even sustainable in a long term coat - with costume pieces, they only have to worry about them lasting the shoot. Surely the paint would wear off over time?

What I'm asking is, is anyone likely to be able to replicate the cotton > laminate > paint finish on a replica or is that the stuff of dreams?

Re: BLADE RUNNER 2049: Officer K (Ryan Gosling) Jacket/Coat - PICS updated Oct. 23

How is this coming along? Any luck with the waterproof coating yet?

It's being experimented with now. We've had promising results with silicone diluted with paint thinner. It makes it a bit darker, a bit shinier, and somewhat water resistant, but doesn't change the color much.

Interesting! Has wax been ruled out? Do we know how durable this silicone is? Do you think it's more durable or less durable than traditional waxed raincoats?

It's being experimented with now. We've had promising results with silicone diluted with paint thinner. It makes it a bit darker, a bit shinier, and somewhat water resistant, but doesn't change the color much.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a step in the right direction to me.

Hella interested if I didn't already say so :)

Interesting! Has wax been ruled out? Do we know how durable this silicone is? Do you think it's more durable or less durable than traditional waxed raincoats?

I would guess it would last longer than wax, but I really don't know.

Sounds flammable. :)

This is all i could find (without some really extensive digging)

silicone.png

Sounds like it will wear off eventually but there are off the shelf sprays that can restore it.

This is looking awesome! I want one for sure. Great job so far man!

This is all i could find (without some really extensive digging)

View attachment 769680

Sounds like it will wear off eventually but there are off the shelf sprays that can restore it.

Cool. My main concern was the fact that wax can easily be reapplied as it wears off, while it wasn't clear whether the synthetic coating options would simply lose their waterproof nature over time. This is promising!

This is the exact same coat but another, more complete view. It's in the mail to me now, so hopefully in a few days I can take my own photos of it.

https://i.imgur.com/DhNI9JH.jpg

Looks fantastic! Well done!

I only have one comment - after endlessly comparing it to the original; can the "shagpile" lining be any shaggier? As it is, it looks like tightly woven sheepskin, and sits very flat. The original is more "furry and thick" - if you know what I mean? That furry shagpile is definitely a unique trademark of the jacket, and, even though it is actually synthetic, it doesn't look it - and gives it a very authentic feel.

Looks fantastic! Well done!

I only have one comment - after endlessly comparing it to the original; can the "shagpile" lining be any shaggier? As it is, it looks like tightly woven sheepskin, and sits very flat. The original is more "furry and thick" - if you know what I mean? That furry shagpile is definitely a unique trademark of the jacket, and, even though it is actually synthetic, it doesn't look it - and gives it a very authentic feel.

I think the issue is the limited options available from the manufacturers. As far as I know, both the Zlurpo coat and the Magnoli coat have selected the most accurate faux-wool option available to them. It would be much easier to get the 100% accurate look if you were making a one-off, but from what I can tell, it isn't always that easy when dealing with garments on a bigger production scale.

Pretty much what aeonpulse said. There's only so many types of faux fur available to my manufacturer, and he's using the best he can find. He'll keep looking until he needs to start getting stuff cut and sewn but itight be this same material. And it might be possible to change the texture of this with some brushing or something.

WOW!!! That looks Fan-freaking-TASTIC!! You absolutely nailed it! Can't wait to get one of these ordered and on by body asap!

Yea, man!

Thats a winner right there :thumbsup

lol! i have a knock off version which was a good attempt, BUT Zlurpo's version is spot on!! im ready! take my money now!! :D

Pretty much what aeonpulse said. There's only so many types of faux fur available to my manufacturer, and he's using the best he can find. He'll keep looking until he needs to start getting stuff cut and sewn but itight be this same material. And it might be possible to change the texture of this with some brushing or something.

Comparing this:

Jacket.jpg

With this:

23158038_10154800241051836_1943711927_o.jpg

I'd say it's pretty darn close. The wool on the original jacket is just that tiny bit... thicker/longer/fuller? That's the only consideration I'd make, if it's even possible.

Another observation:

Jacketlapel.jpg
There's that noticeable gap between the lapel and the collar (red line in above pic). Does this mean the collar meets the shoulder further back, where the shoulder pad ends? Or is it just the way the material is falling?

Attachments

• lapels.jpg
    lapels.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 135

View attachment 770284
There's that noticeable gap between the lapel and the collar (red line in above pic). Does this mean the collar meets the shoulder further back, where the shoulder pad ends? Or is it just the way the material is falling?

It's not a gap, there's just a slight curve to the lapel and the way it's falling makes it look like it's pulled away a bit.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back