Limited Run BLADE RUNNER 2049: Officer K (Ryan Gosling) Jacket/Coat - NOW SELLING

Re: BLADE RUNNER 2049: Officer K (Ryan Gosling) Jacket/Coat - PICS updated Oct. 21

Damn fine piece of work coming together there, Zlurpo.
Absolutely psyched. I am gonna wear the hell out of one of these coats.

Re: BLADE RUNNER 2049: Officer K (Ryan Gosling) Jacket/Coat - PICS updated Oct. 21

Great work Zlurpo!

Is it possible to get a photo with the left lapel tucked under, so that it looks symmetrical from front-on, as it is in the film?

Thanks.

Comparing the Screen Used Coat I noticed the piping on the collar looks different then the current sample. More rounded and fuller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great work Zlurpo!

Is it possible to get a photo with the left lapel tucked under, so that it looks symmetrical from front-on, as it is in the film?

Thanks.

I can ask. It's the weekend so it might take a day or two.

Comparing the Screen Used Coat I noticed the piping on the collar looks different then the current sample. More rounded and fuller.

What are you referring to as piping?

cfb438cf07422f8de07a8b353c90d46c.jpg

Look at the rounded seams on the shoulder pads and ends of collars. They look more rounded like some form of piping was used.

Look at the rounded seams on the shoulder pads and ends of collars. They look more rounded like some form of piping was used.

Oh I get what you mean. The seams look like they have more 'fill' to them. It's certainly not piping, it could be the result of some interfacing in the fabric, or it could just be the result of distressing the coat. I'll look into it.

Re: BLADE RUNNER 2049: Officer K (Ryan Gosling) Jacket/Coat - PICS updated Oct. 9

Pictures of the new sample. It doesn't have the lining in it yet so it will bulk up a bit more.
View attachment 767853 View attachment 767858

It looks like the front horizontal seam lines up when the right side is on top, but when it's closed with the left side on top (as shown in the movie) the seam is misaligned. Is this just a trick of the photo's angle, or is this how the design is expected to work? I didn't even know it *could* be closed with the right side on top!

This new sample looks excellent, but here are a couple of thoughts...
- Should the angle-outward of the left front flap be a bit more severe? In the shot with the left side closed over the right side, it looks kind of like it goes straight down, rather than angling to the side. Similarly, I thought there was supposed to be a triangular gap at the bottom as the two sides angled away from each other.
- Is there a possibility of getting alonger/shaggier faux-fur for the collar/lapels? Looking at photos of the screen-used coat, it looks like the fur is thicker and poofier (like the faux-fur equivalent of shag carpeting) and appears to "flow" in a particular direction, as if it had been brushed/combed. The current fur looks more close-cropped, and sticks straight up from the surface. Maybe this is just something that naturally happens to faux-fur as it becomes worn and weathered?
- I feel like the "borders" of the lapels/collar--the waxed cotton that outlines the fur portions--are wider than they need to be. The screen-used coat appears to show the fur going closer to the edges of the lapels/collar. That said, this could possibly be attributed to what I was just saying about the length/thickness of the faux-fur...if the fur was longer, it would overlap the cotton borders more, and give the impression of going closer to the edges.
- You talked about adding magnets to the collar flap to keep it pinned under the left lapel, but will there also be magnets in the right-side portion of the collar to keep it pinned to itself? Or will it automatically fold and stand up like that if the left portion is pulled under the lapel?
- I can't quite tell from the pictures--does the double-stitched portion of the sleeve seam extend past the edge of the shoulder and onto the torso?
- Finally, the shoulders appear to be a bit stiff--they look a bit like shoulder pads, and don't quite flow smoothly into the rest of the torso/sleeves. I'm curious to see how this changes once the padded lining is added, but I figured I'd mention it.

2017-10-22_1445.png

I hope this doesn't come across as overly critical or nitpicky, I just want this coat to look as perfect as possible! I'm still in to purchase one either way. :)

Attachments

• 2017-10-22_1437.png
    2017-10-22_1437.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 146

Just add my two pennies worth;

Though I could be wrong the collar is too tall. It ends up in the film covering Ryan's nose only when he dips his head forward if memory serves. It may just be this pic, but it looks like you'd barely be able to see over the collar?

attachment.php

Forgive if i'm wrong, just an observation Zlurpo!

I reckon the collar could come down 2 inches but again I could be way off here.

Edit:

blade_runner_experience_sdcc_11-e1501178253168.jpg

nintchdbpict000321456073.jpg

Hopefully this image demonstrates what I mean, but dude; your work is awesome and the coat is looking GREAT

J

Last edited:
Re: BLADE RUNNER 2049: Officer K (Ryan Gosling) Jacket/Coat - PICS updated Oct. 9

It looks like the front horizontal seam lines up when the right side is on top, but when it's closed with the left side on top (as shown in the movie) the seam is misaligned. Is this just a trick of the photo's angle, or is this how the design is expected to work? I didn't even know it *could* be closed with the right side on top!

It does seem to do that. I don't know what makes it look like that. Coincidence, or how the guy wearing it was standing, I assume.

This new sample looks excellent, but here are a couple of thoughts...
- Should the angle-outward of the left front flap be a bit more severe? In the shot with the left side closed over the right side, it looks kind of like it goes straight down, rather than angling to the side. Similarly, I thought there was supposed to be a triangular gap at the bottom as the two sides angled away from each other.
Maybe it should be, I'll look at it when I have in in my hands. There may need to be a steeper angle to get that triangular gap to be visible.
- Is there a possibility of getting alonger/shaggier faux-fur for the collar/lapels? Looking at photos of the screen-used coat, it looks like the fur is thicker and poofier (like the faux-fur equivalent of shag carpeting) and appears to "flow" in a particular direction, as if it had been brushed/combed. The current fur looks more close-cropped, and sticks straight up from the surface. Maybe this is just something that naturally happens to faux-fur as it becomes worn and weathered?
Maybe. Fur options are limited. Some of what you're seeing in the movie coat is a result of it being worn/dirty/styled. It is likely longer on the film coat, and my guy can look into that, but it's possible this is the closest to shaggy fur that's available.
- I feel like the "borders" of the lapels/collar--the waxed cotton that outlines the fur portions--are wider than they need to be. The screen-used coat appears to show the fur going closer to the edges of the lapels/collar. That said, this could possibly be attributed to what I was just saying about the length/thickness of the faux-fur...if the fur was longer, it would overlap the cotton borders more, and give the impression of going closer to the edges.
Yes the borders need tweaking.
- You talked about adding magnets to the collar flap to keep it pinned under the left lapel, but will there also be magnets in the right-side portion of the collar to keep it pinned to itself? Or will it automatically fold and stand up like that if the left portion is pulled under the lapel?
There should be magnets at the top and bottom of the right side of the collar, which would hold it closed when it's folded down. These most recent shots show the coat incomplete, without magnets or a lining.
- I can't quite tell from the pictures--does the double-stitched portion of the sleeve seam extend past the edge of the shoulder and onto the torso?
Yes.
- Finally, the shoulders appear to be a bit stiff--they look a bit like shoulder pads, and don't quite flow smoothly into the rest of the torso/sleeves. I'm curious to see how this changes once the padded lining is added, but I figured I'd mention it.
There is shoulder padding. The fit is a little off in the pictures because it's made to my size, and the guy wearing it is not quite my size. We'll see how the fit is when it arrives. However the movie shoulders definitely have pads, any time his arms are moving the shoulders are clearly stiffer.

View attachment 768101

I hope this doesn't come across as overly critical or nitpicky, I just want this coat to look as perfect as possible! I'm still in to purchase one either way. :)

It comes across as interested and helpful :)

I agree with those observations. Thanks for taking the time on the improvements.

Again just trying to help here;

1) I reckon the shoulder seem should break further up the shoulder
2) Pocket openings are a little large compared with the reference photos; placing seems good though

I also found this image of a NECA toy of Officer K. Shows the text on the back of the jacket really well, figure it could be helpful:

1Kuse.jpg

Zlurpo i'm sure you'll have this info already but found a snippet from Reneé April on the Jacket;

“Everyone thinks his military coat is made of shearling, but it’s laminated cotton that we painted and then attached cheap, ugly faux fur to the collar – it was $2 a yard! Leather would have become wet and very heavy in that environment, and his character is poor, he has a miserable existence in that basic apartment. The collar - pretty cool, eh? – is so he can hide himself from the pollution. We’ve seen hoods thousands of times on-screen, so I came up with a high collar that closed magnetically. I wanted the audience to just see his eyes at the beginning of the film.”

I feel deeply stupid for only thinking of this now, but of course it wasn't a shearling coat.
One of the original V-K questions pointed out that having a calf-skin wallet was illegal (and, I've always assumed, any animal skin product--the original novel went way further in the animal reverence direction, but there were still shades of it in Blade Runner).

Last edited by a moderator:

“Everyone thinks his military coat is made of shearling, but it’s laminated cotton that we painted and then attached cheap, ugly faux fur to the collar – it was $2 a yard! Leather would have become wet and very heavy in that environment, and his character is poor, he has a miserable existence in that basic apartment. The collar - pretty cool, eh? – is so he can hide himself from the pollution. We’ve seen hoods thousands of times on-screen, so I came up with a high collar that closed magnetically. I wanted the audience to just see his eyes at the beginning of the film.”

In reference to the above quote, it specifically says laminated cotton, and I'm willing to believe them as that finish would explain why the material appears so dark in much of the film. So how different is laminated cotton to waxed and is it worth recognising that difference?

Last edited by a moderator:

In reference to the above quote, it specifically says laminated cotton, and I'm willing to believe them as that finish would explain why the material appears so dark in much of the film. So how different is laminated cotton to waxed and is it worth recognising that difference?

Since there's not a great way to know what exactly "laminated" means here unless the actual costume designer feels like popping into the thread, I don't know that it's worth chasing.

Since there's not a great way to know what exactly "laminated" means here unless the actual costume designer feels like popping into the thread, I don't know that it's worth chasing.

FWIW, I've heard people use 'oilcloth,' 'waxed cotton,' and 'laminated cotton' to refer to the same fabric.
Doesn't necessarily mean there's no difference, but maybe a regional thing... I dunno.

Although the three terms are often used interchangeably, the three are usually considered different materials. Waxed cotton is simply cotton infused with a wax treatment. Oilcloth is traditionally treated with a linseed oil. Laminated cotton is finished with a coating of polyurethane. Obviously, waxed cotton and oilcloth are more traditional, natural products, while laminated cotton has a synthetic coating. It all gets confused as people do indeed use the terms interchangeably, so without specific information about any particular garment, you're not always 100% sure what someone is talking about.

In regards the 2049 coat, it does sound like they used some kind of plastic/artificial coating on the jacket.

I'm sure many of us are also following Indy's thread, but I wanted to crosspost this shot that does a good job of highlighting the width of the cotton border around the fur--especially on the middle edge where the lapel and collar flap meet each other, which seems even narrower than the border around the outside of the lapel. It's even possible that this middle-edge border is narrower on the collar flap side than on the lapel side, though it's hard to tell with the thick fur.

R0006313.jpg

Interested depending final product. Does it come in black?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back