Black Widow - The Avengers Movie Style

ok...
6 months ago i purchased a Mannequin for another project.
I was about to pack it back up to ship today, so I dumped the packing material out of the original box and remembered that there were fabric pieces in the box when I got it.
blackwidow003.jpg

I took a closer look...
blackwidow014.jpg

and had an OMG moment.
It's got a thin foam backing, which i think would cause the material to fold like it does on ScarJo's suit.
blackwidow015.jpg

Now, I know this doesn't help since I have no idea what the fabric is or where it came from. Plus, the scraps are too small for any use..
What are your thoughts on the foam backing? Do you guys think the real suit had it?
The pattern is different, but it looks like the same style/technique.

Last edited:
LadyS - Thanks for the update! One question. Did you draft the pattern? If so did you modify a pattern or draft it from scratch?

I LOOOOVE your movie-version Black Widow; it looks like you walked off the movie screen! :)

Thank you!!

I had to make the pattern myself to ensure that I had all the seams correct and the grain of the fabric going in the correct direction for each section. Basically, I put on a mock-up suit and my friend traced what i wanted on to me and then i cut out the pieces and used that as my pattern.

Thank you!!

I had to make the pattern myself to ensure that I had all the seams correct and the grain of the fabric going in the correct direction for each section. Basically, I put on a mock-up suit and my friend traced what i wanted on to me and then i cut out the pieces and used that as my pattern.

That's a great idea. I've never sewn anything major via a pattern before (clothing wise) and have been wondering how to do it. What did you use for the mock-up suit?

According to a friend of mine they used Cordura for the costume and looking at swatches of Cordura and comparing it to the hi-res shots of BW's costume it does look like Cordura. I don't know how much give Cordura has though but I did find something called spandura which is a 4 way stretch Cordura, unfortunately the site I found it on has no picture of the fabric so I can't say how good of a match it would be.

h20 fabrics

I ordered a swatch of this to check out, but I don't think it's a good match. It's very shiny, almost wet-look Spandex looking. Then again, I'm not 100% convinced they sent me the right fabric. :/ I'll be happy to post a pic if anyone wants to see what it looks like.

That's a great idea. I've never sewn anything major via a pattern before (clothing wise) and have been wondering how to do it. What did you use for the mock-up suit?

99 cent spandex that was on sale from Jo Ann's, lol. I just made sure the stretch was the same as my actual fabric and that it was white so I can write on it.

Hi guys, I normally wouldn't bother everyone, but I'm desperate! I've been searching and searching for fabrics to use for both Black Widow and Maria Hill's suits, and thus far I have come up empty handed. Did anyone manage to get a sample of the Spandura from seattle fabrics? How was it? I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can help me at all!

Thanks!!

I think the spandura is pretty much a bust. I got to hand;e some swatches this weekend and the texture is more or less a jumbo spandex with a twill weave.
Looking into a fabric called "chitosante" for a cap costume currently. Seems to have that texture that we're looking for. More to come.

Hey all! Wanted to check in with you guys and see how folks were doing, as well as make a request! :)

Fabric wise, I'm going with Aeryn's suggestion of layering fabrics. I picked up a pretty thick Lycra, which I'm going to layer with a stretchy mesh. This weekend I'll be doing my mockup. The one thing I could use some help on is the back of the costume. From one of the early shots (a pic of Widow/Fury) I can see the seams on the back of her legs, but I'm not sure what's going on with the upper back.

LOL! I feel kind of pervy, but I need a booty shot! If anyone has a screencap or a promo pic of the back of her costume, I would appreciate it if you could share it! :) Thanks so much!

This is the only shot I have of her from behind ^_^ Hope it helps, I myself am going with a sporting fabric - it's like a stretchy mesh. I'll probably line with spandex. Can't wait to see how yours goes :)

I know this thread is a bit old, but i couldn't help but reply. the material you are looking for may be rough moleskin.

I bought several yards wanting a different texture to make a Ms Marvel costume. It is significantly thicker than regular spandex and almost has a foamy feel. It truly is almost like thin neoprene but it is very rugged. You'll need a serger for this. It doesn't form to the body quite like regular old swimwear spandex. The fabric will gather when you bend your arms or legs. It's shiny on one side and matte on the other.

If you are wanting a seamless construction, you'll have to find thermoplastic polyurethane tape. You can then weld fabric panels together using a cheap hot air welder from Harbor Freight. The tape you choose needs to be rated for the fabric. In other words, you don't want a melting temperature on the tape higher than the melting temp of the fabric. So far, I have been looking for this tape but have had no luck. I can only find industrial quantities.

Graphic Jordan you won't find anything like it for ready purchace. looking closely I swear this looks like neoprene. Look at the folds and seams at the knee, the fabric is extremely thick and has even less give than the first suit.
There vertical seams look glued, sealed on the inside? But the exposed zip suggests this is not a wetsuit ;)

Heh, the seams remind me a bit of Samara from Mass Effect 2, the torso ones at least. They are functional as well as decorative as they do allow for good shaping around the chest.

I was not a willing participant in my har cut ;) Well I asked for it but it wasn't really by choice. I've lost about 2/3 (maybe even more actually) of my hair in the last year and that was after it finally grew back after the previous two bouts of hair loss. Yay medication. Walking or hair.. hmmm ;) Luckily the new stuff doesn't seem to be making me make that choice :) But I am lucky if it will grow faster than an inch every two months.

We couldn't get the catsuit made with a decent material in time for SDCC, so we opted for a Lycra stand-in for now.

bwheadless.jpg

mrs.slave1pilot is doing a combination of Avengers/ Iron Man 2/ and Comic book Black Widow.

This is her first costuming attempt, and we are happy with everything she has.

We couldn't get the catsuit made with a decent material in time for SDCC, so we opted for a Lycra stand-in for now.

bwheadless.jpg

mrs.slave1pilot is doing a combination of Avengers/ Iron Man 2/ and Comic book Black Widow.

This is her first costuming attempt, and we are happy with everything she has.

Do you have a photo that shows the sleeve length? It might be because her arms are raised but it appears the sleeves may be a little short. As I said it might just be because her arm is raised.

The gloves and bracers cover the sleeves ( she isn't wearing them in the above pic)
I'll take some pics at SDCC this weekend of the whole thing together.

This is the only shot I have of her from behind ^_^ Hope it helps, I myself am going with a sporting fabric - it's like a stretchy mesh. I'll probably line with spandex. Can't wait to see how yours goes :)

Thank you! Between this and the Fury/Widow promo shot this should be good! :)

23su7hc.jpg

Also, I just made a Jo-Ann stop and found this fabric. It was labeled "Performance" and was out on one of the "islands" so I'm not sure what it would normally be shelved under. The texture is nice, but the stretch is only two-way and it's thin. Just thought I would post in case someone wanted to use it! :) (please don't mind my post-sewing-sweatshop nail polish!)

Last edited:
I purchased several yards of this in white a few months ago at my local JoAnn's. I'm trying to find it in red, black, navy, light blue, and royal blue but the local stores stopped carrying it and I can't find it on their website.

If you happen to be in the store again and think about it, write the barcode off one of the bolts. I'd like to ask my local store if they can order it for me.

Thanks!

23su7hc.jpg

Also, I just made a Jo-Ann stop and found this fabric. It was labeled "Performance" and was out on one of the "islands" so I'm not sure what it would normally be shelved under. The texture is nice, but the stretch is only two-way and it's thin. Just thought I would post in case someone wanted to use it! :) (please don't mind my post-sewing-sweatshop nail polish!)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back