Black Series Helmets - whats next after Boba Fett

Then you do it. If you want a fair comparison, do it yourself. Stop complaining about people who have at least done SOMETHING. Star Wars Replicas has an impressive collection, a fair bit of knowledge and is typically pretty fair with his reviews. I know what your reasons are because you have not been quiet about them(to put it gently). But I don't see you contributing anything other than whinging about what someone else did.
It’s not about the helmet. This could be about a Potter wand a Blade Runner pistol, or whatever. I’m simply asking that logic, knowledge, and open mindness… the things that made the RPF what it is today, be held first and foremost when having discussions about accuracy. Let’s not rely on the simplistic, half-ass, and laziness to come to conclusions.

Like I said, it's a flawed comparison. The Efx is suppose to have lineage to the A New Hope helmet. But the original BS is based on it's appearance in Revenge of the Sith. This new Obi Wan version appears to be the same mask and dome, with a new neck piece.
I didnt really care about what the comparison video said, i pretty much fast forwarded through it to see the side by sides and such.. I was comparing these as props and not as toys.

Yes, it would be nice to see the actual props next to each other from the various series and films but i dont see that as happening anytime soon. For now, all we have to go on is designs based on the props, and we know those can be a bit on the "artistic liberty" side as most do not have true measurements from the actual props or even any access to the plans for those. There are countless examples of that.
If you are one who does these replicas, you generally have to take screenshots or photos of an actual prop and come up with a way to make measurements on those to get anything similar to the eye test. And we also know, the more you work on your own copy, the more you think it looks similar to the original even though it may be lightyears off when its finished to someone else who has not seen it before.

I'm sure Hasbro acquired some kind of paper plan or access to a prop at least for measuring or photos etc, to make some sort of a copy of that prop, and i assume they applied a bit of a reduction percentage to their copy for the mass public to buy for a particular price point. But from what i saw, they "toyified it" more than i thought they were doing on these BS replicas.
Take the XWing Pilot helmet for an example. Yes, there are differences, but the lines are very similar, the size is pretty close.. and true, it is a slight bit smaller than the actual prop... not much. However, when comparing those proportions, you find very little to gripe about.

I realize some of the things they did with the prop in Kenobi may have been embellished for the camera in certain scenes, for lighting, or for facial recognition or for cool factor... But you can be sure that the initial assembled vader was close to what was done in Episode 3 or even in the more recent Rogue One which Disney had control over as well. I cannot imagine that this BS helmet is closer to what was created in Kenobi than even the EFX helmet which was made from a different film. I could be wrong about that, but i have my sincere doubts. I just think the BS bucket is flat ugly when compared to the other prop.
Granted, its light years better than the old Rubies from when i was a kid, or from some more recent other toys, because for a toy this one is a cool Christmas present. But if the BS series is trying to base itself on accuracy of proportion, or whatever else they are trying to market themselves to adults other than a toy.. they failed in this one in my opinion.

Interesting question for the Hasbro BS line... do they start with a head sculpt at a certain size and hand form molds for the prop helmets they are making? Or is it all done in software form? Interesting.. would love to know.

This video does a good job showing what goes into the BS helmet design

That has been my understanding how they make these types of items. For production reasons, LFL are scanning actors, items, etc... anyhow so they just send these files to Hasbro if they request info. From there they can backward engineer the item to add/modify the design for things like interior, electronics, manufacturing, etc...

One thing to remember is that you don't always know the source of the scan. Meaning, that an item like Luke's X-Wing helmet most likely used a scan from the Luke/Rey TRoS or even Rogue One. So if there was any design differences between them and the original, you are going to end up with the mot recent.

FYI: If the BS X-Wing helmet has not yet been used on screen, it WILL make an appearance on screen in the future.

Holy crap the Hasbro Mando helmet is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (y) :love: :D

So I had an Anovos. It was nice, but I felt a bit dark on the paint job. Anyway I had to sell it and I was okay with it as I new other versions would come.

So EFX announces season 2 shiny version and I pre-order. Then they arrived. It was not what I was looking for so I cancelled my pre-order. BBTS agreed to return my deposit as I felt, and they agreed, the finial product was not what was advertised. Totally cool for those who like it, but not what I wanted.

When the Black Series Mando came out I took a quick look and then dismissed it as I thought it was okay but not great and I have the EFX coming. So the other day I see an Adam Savage video comparing it with his Anovos and I was impressed. I don't know if the pics I saw just were not well done or what. I never looked at it after that. Well after the video I thought that would work, then I saw one here for only $115. Cheaper than I could find with tax and shipping, so I snagged it. I like it better than my Anovos. It looks like what I thought the high end ones would look like. If you don't like it so shiny, which I love, you can re-paint it.

It is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI

Hasbro Pulse Con confirmed that the Clone Helmet is coming.

85E4A7AD-74F5-46F0-9BC4-787166D083F7.jpeg

HEYO!!! *consults notes* So two of those. Still want a reissue of the Stormtrooper, and I'm still good with the older Hasbro Phase I. I find the fixes fairly easy to manage as part of my updetailing.

Personally, I welcome the repaints. I don't keep any of 'em stock, regardless, so the paint job is irrelevant to me. I just see it as another chance to get one I might've missed. I'd like to see more repaints, though, not fewer, also because not everyone wants to dismantle, strip, sand, and build back up, and it's nice that someone might be able to get the paint job they've always wanted but not been able to afford from MR or RS or Anovos/DN, etc.

Hopefully they will do the Clone phase one helmets but for me, I am glad they went phase two first. I just like them better. Also, if I understand the phase one helmet, it has CGI design elements toward the neck area (narrow fit) that would need to be altered for a wearable replica. I myself will not mind this but I know there will be plenty a bitchin' around these here parts if it happens.

The likes and dislikes of these BS helmets are no different than any other product whether it be helmet, figure, etc... and not limited to any franchise, It all revolves around the wants and desires of a personal interests. In the cases of BS helmets, most collectors feel that repaints take away opportunities of totally new helmets being developed and released. So for example... Someone has been waiting for a BS Scout Trooper helmet and hoping the next announcement is just that. However they instead announce a OT StormTrooper helmet with a new blue stripe. In their minds, this repaint is standing in the way of them get a scout trooper helmet. I do not personally believe this. I think Hasbro is always looking to develop new helmets but also will gladly enhance the line with repaints if the opportunity presents itself.

Also, I am not immune to the whole desire element myself. I personally like repaints... if they are repaints i want (see what I mean :p) ... A lot of the current trooper and Mandalorian helmet repaints are not my thing (although if I find a deal, my mind can be changed). But I absolutely will jump through hoops for an X-wing pilot helmet repaint and I keep hoping they bring back the resistant pilot helmet with some repaints. I also believe I will be a sucker for the phase 3 clone helmets. In fact, I probably will pass on the plain white one and wait one a cool character repaint.

I’m honestly shocked they haven’t made a Death Trooper BS. I feel like they could include the cool scrambled sound they make and they’ve been featured in a ton of the media by now.

I have the Anovos version but would love a version I could play with.

IIRC phase 2 clones were cgi-only, too and got the same design limitations.
As of the new stuff being shot for the Disney+ series, they have made physical costumes that have been seen to have a few differences so far from the CG versions that existed prior. We don't know yet the origin of the assets provided to Denuo Novo or Hasbro to make their respective Phase II helmets, but it seems likely, given the timing, it's whatever was used in-house to make the physical helmets. Probably derived from the original CG models, but also probably altered to be wearable. Both the Phase I and II helmets have return edges on the bottom that go all the way to the neck ring. Hasbro removed most of that on their previous toy Phase I helmet. Master Replicas fully replicated the CG Phase II, down to the neck ring. The demonstrator DN showed this past summer had no neck ring, but I don't know how far up they've trimmed the return edge. I'm curious to see if it and this one and the on-screen helmets in Kenobi and Book of Boba Fett all have the same size and shape bottom opening.

Hopefully they will do the Clone phase one helmets but for me, I am glad they went phase two first. I just like them better. Also, if I understand the phase one helmet, it has CGI design elements toward the neck area (narrow fit) that would need to be altered for a wearable replica. I myself will not mind this but I know there will be plenty a bitchin' around these here parts if it happens.
The bottom of the Phase I goes from a faint separation line around the widest part curving down and in for a bit over an inch, then kinks slightly flatter and goes in to meet the neck ring. For their previous toy Phase I helmet, Hasbro opened up the bottom opening to that "kink". When Filoni et al. did Clone Wars a couple years later, to get past the problem ignored in AOTC of the helmets not being able to be put on or taken off (the movie dodged this by showing clones just putting the helmets on and not showing them from an angle that showed their heads just clipping through the bottom of the helmet), they altered the design to have them open-bottomed to put on and take off. And they did it to the same place Hasbro had. Possibly coincidence, possibly just both making use of a handy feature to use as a cut point.

So I'd be happy with them updating that older release, as it's already at least 75% there.

Someone has been waiting for a BS Scout Trooper helmet and hoping the next announcement is just that. However they instead announce a OT StormTrooper helmet with a new blue stripe. In their minds, this repaint is standing in the way of them get a scout trooper helmet. I do not personally believe this. I think Hasbro is always looking to develop new helmets but also will gladly enhance the line with repaints if the opportunity presents itself.
Exactly. Taking a helmet from 3D model sent to them by Lucasfilm though all of the work to turn it into the finished toy, and then machine the tooling to make it, is a whole process. Once that's done, it's a lot less work to create a new set of paint masks for an existing tool that's already had all that work done. The repaints do not impact the pipeline of a new helmet.

But I absolutely will jump through hoops for an X-wing pilot helmet repaint
There are still so many they can do! It'd be great to have all of the rest of the extant Red Squadron helmets from ANH, at least, even if not the rest. Also a clean, blue-emblem, smoked-visor version.

I keep hoping they bring back the resistant pilot helmet with some repaints.
That's one I'm a bit surprised they haven't even done the white Poe helmet from the beginning of TFA, let alone any of the others.

I was confused because they announced the helmet during their "AOTC Celebrations" segment and yet showed off a ROTS trooper helmet? Hasbro is very confusing...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back