Black Panther

I'm sorry, but 100% for a Marvel movie? No way.

Right now the only reviews out are from people invited to see the movie by Marvel. So, take it with a grain of salt, but many people with opinions that I respect have seen it and they've been very positive.

Almost scary how good the reviews on this is.

Washington Post had it top of the front page a few hours ago and abolutely raving about it

All you guys talking about "Black Panther" reviews clearly missed that the biggest movie of 2018 came out today..."50 Shades Freed" clearly has to be a masterpiece.

I never really liked the character Black Panther so this is not a movie i'll run out and see, however it looks fun.

However the fact that all the critics are raving about it makes me think it will probably be a modest hit and not the best Marvel movie ever.

Stuff like this makes me uncomfortable as hell though "A love letter about blackness", can you imagine if critics said that about a Marvel movie but reversed? "A love letter about whiteness":behave

Got my tickets for next thursday, but I'm a bit skeptical about all those praises about it being the best Marvel to date. Cap 2 holds that spot firmly for me as genuinely the better movie all around of the line, but we'll see, I might be surprised.
I'm also curious to see non-american reviews popping up, see what they say about it, because I don't think the rest of the world has a black culture anywhere as strong as in the US, so they'll judge it as any other Marvel.

Absolute kudos to Marvel and all the team that produced this.
I think this is one of the most accomplished origin stories we have had from them. Storywise its almost Shakespearian ,like a futuristic African version of "Game of Thrones" (without the sex and gore!! i. Certainly its more character focused and dialogue heavy than I had anticipated, but the cast is almost note perfect in each of their roles and they combine to deliver an adventurous, challenging and more thoughtful Marvel movie than any we have had yet..
First off though its Wakanda that almost stole the movie for me, its a stunningly rich, simply amazing creation that layers design and mythos upon geography like its a minature Africa in a single nation state . God only knows how many people ,hours and creative blood, sweat and tears went into it but its an incredible artistic piece of beautiful landscapes and tribes.
Theres a really good balance to the character and action set pieces, some excellent emotional beats that really hit home and I really bought into every moment of it. Loved the "legolas" fighting with the car chase! And I cannot praise the cast enough for what they manage to deliver within the story , "realistic" , mature and entertaining performances (Andy does chew the scenery abit though) in a gloriously colourful world that really does stun at times.
One mid credit sequence ,which is a speech that I think every world leader should take to heart, and one end one (White Wolf). None are really essential if you have to leave, just nice to see.
And I want a War Rhino!

Don't worry about the soundtrack either, its an amazingly original and often powerfully orchestrated combination of proper African sounds ,beats and themes along with a few modern songs.. It ain't all rap tracking as some might fear, its proper Marvel, but entirely distinctive..

Last edited:
Ok so, I thought it was another great Marvel. But not the best one. The script isn’t particularly complex IMO, I thought the first act was a bit slow but it picks up afterwards, and it works. Thing is I didn’t fully click with Wakanda culture, some of it is really cool and then some just me no sense to me. The cast was excellent all around though, and while I wouldn’t buy the soundtrack it was very fitting. Kill monger is a one of the better Marvel bad guys. Also the new suit does look better on screen than it does on picture !

My girlfriend and I saw the film in IMAX 3D yesterday and loved it.
Marvel has another hit on their hands.
The tone, the story, the characters and their relationships gave this film a great heart and T'Challa's sense of honour and doing the right things is on par with Captain America.
The Wakandan technology is amazing too.

I really enjoyed Ludwig Gorranson's score and really hope Marvel release it on CD. I don't think I'll be buying the "Inspired By" album as it isn't really my cup of tea, I'm more of an orchestral score kind of soundtrack fan.

A solid A+ for Black Panther.

I can't wait for Infinity War at the end of April!

What I admired about it the most was how well written it was and the art direction.
Given that the "Infinity War" trailer suggests there will be alot of time spent in Wakanda, the fact that they took the time to explore the culture and geography as well as the characters in more depth than you would normally expect from a Marvel film at the very beginning set the film up well for the climax and for IW.
I looked at the calendar and its only ten weeks (27th April) before its out in the UK!!!! I hope BP is still showing as I feel its well worth a second viewing just before IW comes out (if possible). I guess thats why we had the scene with the White Wolf at the very end. I was surprised that there was no trailer for IW , DP 2 or even Solo with this though, just "Pacific Rim 2" that looked like a cadet reboot of the first ( I'll pass thanks) and a bunch of other kids stuff.
Whilst "Civil War" and "Winter Soldier" are still my favourites, I'd say as the origin stories go this is the best they have done yet. Tonely, it was a big change from the last two, "Home Coming" and "Ragnorak" , far less light hearted (though not without moments of wit , the Rhino charge and the "legolas" car chase moment were spot on) and given the minefield this could have been for Marvel, it was a brilliantly balanced, mature and often movingly dignified written piece, and for a third movie from Ryan Coogler, an amazingly accomplished one as well , but I liked "Creed" as well.
It was the character writing that felt honest and true. After the disappointment of "TLJ" to see what BP managed to do with its cast and story (even if that was a bit limited seeing as we've already seen the IW trailer) it was still involving and at times gripping. Even the villian was actually strong for a change . It had ,as a story and film, enough to interest and entertain everyone with out pandering to any age group.
And for that I admired it. I know its Marvel but it was a refreshing change of pace and structure yet again from the others. I don't know anyother franchise that manages this conistency of quality whilst exploring and retaining the individuality of the characters.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back