Black Adam

Gimpdiggity

Master Member

Apologies if there is already a thread. I searched but nothing came up.

After not being much of a fan of DC stuff for a while, they’ve been on a bit of a roll for me, particularly with films that they aren’t trying to shoehorn into some MCU-esque overarching story.

I like Dwayne Johnson, and this, to me, looks like it should be fun!

Ok, I guess I'm lost. I thought this movie was specifically going to be a Shazam flick, where rock played the bad guy (The Way the Movie "Winter Soldier" was a captain america flick). Am I completely off base on how Black Adam usually fits into the DC universe?

I have tickets for tomorrow.
I am VERY familiar with the character being a fan of Captain Marvel (yes, that is his real name) for over 40 years. This was a head scratcher for me as he is directly associated with “Shazam”. It’s like making a Lex Luthor movie.

I saw it this afternoon, and thought it was pretty good. I know very little about the characters other than a general idea of who they are. I think the Rock did a very good job as Black Adam, but the JSA characters were not very flushed out. I'm still trying to figure out how they exist in the same world as the JLA heroes without being more connected. Overall I'd give it a 6.5\10: a good popcorn flick. Definitely stay for the mid-credits scene :)

Just left the theater 2hrs ago, this was awwwwesome! DC future is looking great! I keep seeing comments that fans have found DC's Kevin Feige and its Dwayne Johnson

Black Adam was a pretty average superhero flick, nothing to write home about. If you're looking for a fun popcorn flick that doesn't require you to utilize a lot of grey matter, this is the movie for you. The highlights to me are The Rock and Pierce Brosnan's Doctor Fate. Aldis Hodge's Hawkman was ok, while discount Tessa Thompson and discount Antman/Peter Parker were pretty forgettable. The third act is kinda wacky; almost Age of Apocalypse way-too-much-CGI sort of wacky. Like I said, its fun to watch, but its not exactly earth shattering or something you'd be raving on and on for days about.

Black Adam was a pretty average superhero flick, nothing to write home about. If you're looking for a fun popcorn flick that doesn't require you to utilize a lot of grey matter, this is the movie for you. The highlights to me are The Rock and Pierce Brosnan's Doctor Fate. Aldis Hodge's Hawkman was ok, while discount Tessa Thompson and discount Antman/Peter Parker were pretty forgettable. The third act is kinda wacky; almost Age of Apocalypse way-too-much-CGI sort of wacky. Like I said, its fun to watch, but its not exactly earth shattering or something you'd be raving on and on for days about.
I was going to give my thoughts but you summed it up perfectly. Not much more I can add. My son, however, freaked out during the mid-credit scene!

It was an okay movie.

I have not hated the "heroes" so much for a long time. They acted all superior, went in guns blazing to a situation they knew very little about, a country they knew very little about, not seeming to know or care about the plight of the people, coming in as "liberators", constantly saving the bad guys, while ignoring to save the common people, or care about the destruction they caused. All could have been avoided if they came in with a less antagonistic approach - actually talking to the guy first instead of choosing to fight and berate him. Their first course of action was to put him in jail!? Why? For what reason and by what right?

And I was wondering why the heroes were under the command of Amanda Waller, who is clearly a villain, and who chooses villainous courses of action and I kept wondering why the heroes would ever be okay with that kind of leadership. They chose violence over diplomacy, and even after the situation was resolved, Amanda Waller still came in with threats and escalating the situation - bringing in a hammer to fight a hammer, in the form of Superman, with the musical cue of a better Superman: the Christopher Reeve's Superman. Superman is supposed to be anything but the hammer - he's supposed to be the ultimate diplomat, the diffuser of bad situations, always choosing the most noble option. To have him be under the beg and call of the villainous Amanda Waller is heartbreaking and dangerous, since he's the hero who's fighting for *Truth, Justice and the Amarican Way* and it's being perverted by Amanda Waller, because she's been put in charge. So glad he came in, in a diplomatic way - talking instead of with his fists. I like Henry Cavill. I like him as Superman. I absolutely DO NOT like the movies he's been in or the way he's been portrayed in any of the DCEU movies - he deserves a movie where he gets to play the TRUE Superman.

At the end I was beginning to think this movie's depiction of the heroes was a satire or a farce, or a commentary on something.

Then while discussing it with my friend afterwards, he dropped a bomb so great it made all the sense. The heroes are *Team America: World Police*. Dumb, oppressive, destructive and 100% in the wrong. It clicked for me why all the heroes in the DCEU does not act like heroes, but acts more like villains do in other, better movies. Self-righteous. Above the law. Destructive and uncaring of the people they are supposedly claiming to fight to protect. Makes so much sense now.

Hope the heroes have a confrontation with Amanda Waller in the future, because they need to get out from under her villainous ways, to become the true heroes they are meant to be.

And anyone in the future making another Superman movie needs to watch these two videos summarizing the best way to do so and what Superman truly stands for.

They are lengthy and indepth and tells exactly what the DCEU and many others gets wrong about Superman and why it is absolutely not the case that he's a boring character who's difficult to create a movie for. Only bad or lazy writers, and people who does not understand what it means to be a hero, cannot write Superman.

Last edited:
Specifically, The Rock made it happen.

Yes the scene was shot as late as September, but David Zaslav has been wanting Cavill back for a sequel, and they already announced the "10 year plan" before this movie was released and before James Gunn was appointed co-CEO for DC Studios. I think they already had Cavill interested in a return after the new merger, and Johnson was just the one to hype it up after they sealed the deal.

Sadly this is not doing well at the box office and now China has banned it. why? because Pierce Brosnan is a fan of the Dalai Lama. HEY CHINA…GTFOI. I am so sick at movies having to hinge on the Chinese market we are not in a good time for movies there was a great explanation as to what happened to “cinema“ and the main thing is streaming is one of the worst things to happen to movies why because there was the box office and then they could count on the DVD sales to turn a movie from mediocre box office into a smash hit, but it forced people to go out to the theater to see it first because you’re not going to buy a DVD have you not seen the movie in the first place and if you’re going to rent the movie you may as well go to the theater and see it on the big screen I’m not a spacer some movies need to be seen on the big screen. I think another reason why it’s not doing too well is the movie that centers around The bad guy and the bad guy winning well it would be like making a movie called “Thanos“

Sadly this is not doing well at the box office
Huh? It's at $319.7 million worldwide in it's 3rd weekend, worldwide. It was also The Rock's best opening weekend for a film of his, ever ($67 million).

Totally agree. Though I'll go even further to say that I actively disliked Atom Smasher. Like you said, they tried to have him be an Ant Man/Peter Parker type, but missed the mark, making him into an ineffctual, apologetic, nothing of a hero character.

I also found the visuals of the location to be bland. I understand it's a desert, and it ties into Black Adam's origin, but everything just looked beige for 90% of the movie, and very CGI looking too.

I'm with Alley on the "superhero fatigue" too.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back