BIKER SCOUT DOME: MADE IN TWO PARTS

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Durasteel Corporation, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

I posted these in the other forum, but I reasoned some traffic doesnt always get over there and vice-versa.

So, just for whatever its worth to you biker fans, here are pics I got at the MOM about four years ago...finally found them and posted.

Definately showing the helmet with a seam up the back. Have a look in the costume forum for the bikerscout construction thread.

This two piece construction puts a new spin or possible new way of thinking about OT costume parts.

Enjoy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing does seem clear. ABS or the like can be sanded and well painted to disguise a seam.

I want to now go and take a hard look at some of the best Fett helmet photos as I recall seeing thin edges....even though I pushed the fiberglass helmet deal, I am now wondering.....hmmm.

2. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

Please tell me that you are MAKING one? Please count me in.

3. Durasteel Corporation

Oh, well, yeah its on my mental agenda.

4. JaseTheHACK

JaseTheHACK Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

OR- the helmet was sat on and it cracked on the bottom rim and bent up the middle of the back.

Just as plausible.

J

5. godzilla

godzilla Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the way that this and the Royal Guards were made is that they were vac-formed in one piece, but then the plastic was cut to get it off of the buck and then repaired.

6. GINO

GINO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is definitely the case. They were cut/split just enough to allow removal and then patched up.

7. Durasteel Corporation

Im not so sure there Gini, first of all, look carefully...its abundantly clear that the helmet is two colors on both halves and its not lighting.

Then take a look at this thread:

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=104674

Photos show bridges way up the helmet's interior, and a large round shaped bridge inside it.

There is even a faint hair seam visible in the back of the helmet, which corresponds to the same split and deliniation line on the MOM helmet.

Two helmets showing this....hard to say its a repair.

Two helmets showing this line and/or evidence of a bridge or brace up that far, makes it even harder to say its just a cut to release the helmet.

Even the visor shows evidence of being seamed together.

[​IMG]

-IF- it is simply a case of splitting the helmet to remove it from the buck....why the hell is it cut up so friggin high? And, why does the visor itself show evidence of a bridge too?

If its a buck removal case, I think these photos show how hard it must have been to remove a vacuformed cast given how high the cuts go....

...I am still searching for a photo I had showing a seam line right over the entire tip of the dome....that would be very insightful to study again.... :unsure

8. UKscout

UKscout Well-Known Member

Durasteel Corporation

great pics PLMK if you have any others as I'm a keen scout fan as these guys where to under rated in the films as stormies have always had the lime light from the films :lol

but let put a spanner in the works on this one.:confused

Could this be evidence of a "Biker Scout Stunt Helmet", I've seen serveral pics of just screen used helmet from ROTJ and it dose not have a seem in the back of the helmet.

This could be first evidence that the helmet shown in the above pics from MOM could be a Stunt Helmet. :lol

let me know what you think, great pics tho

9. troopermaster

troopermaster Well-Known Member

Sounds plausible Gino,but doesn't explain the split over the dome and visor.All the scout helmets in the pics I have,the split over the dome can be seen although they have been patched/blended well.

10. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

IÂ’d like to apologize in advance for the off topic comment, but I noticed that the MOM biker scout chest plate is also a two part construction.

:confused Not really related to the helmet but just to emphasize the fact that biker scout costume/armor forming or assembling “principles”, might be two parts construction for some parts and some reason :p (at least the MOM version)

Or maybe , like someone said, it's a stunt version.

Cheers

11. troopermaster

I'd say it looks more like a crack in the lower lip of the chest rather than it being formed in two parts.I can't see any reason why it would be in two parts,looks like it would come off the mould easy enough?

12. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

Yeah...That looks like a crack.

13. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

I seem to remember jeezycreezy posting some great pics recently showing it was a two piece helmet. Just can't seem to find the thread :(

14. WebChief

WebChief Sr Member

I've been in the camp that it was molded in two pieces for a long time. Thought that was the accepted thinking at this point.

15. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

Not sure its a crack

[attachmentid=6649] :confused :confused

16. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

But I agree with Paul, I don't see any logic reasons to form the chest in two parts....

17. Durasteel Corporation

wow, cool thread.

Did LFL run out of large pieces of plastic by ROTJ :D

I do have a few more of these photos but they were hard to get from the CD as it freezes up my pc...let me try this weekend.

On the topic of a vacuform split to release the piece, as the circular piece might be a means to stabilize the thin plastic and/or stop the split from splitting....but the fact that its round is odd:

If I might borrow this photo from the other thread...see the bridge piece so high up in the helmet...and the circular plate and you can see a faint crack/seam on this helmet too :

so if we have two helmets with the crack/seams....that makes two.

I think the chinstrap is up inside the helmet sorta throwing us off too btw.

18. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Well-Known Member

Maybe Brinn71 will see this thread and comment?

He was fortunate enough to wear an original Biker Scout costume in the mid-90's for LFL promotional work... maybe he would've noticed if the helmet had a seam running along it?

Cheers,
    John

19. Durasteel Corporation

oh thats right, I remember reading about that.

One thing I will note as I remember this....we did not see the crack until I developed (reviewed the photos on my pc) , and more importantly....the two tone look was not even slightly obvious ...why and how the camera caught it, I dont know. Taken with a digitcal camera, thats all I can tell ya.

20. Durasteel Corporation

L,

With all due respect, I am not going to remove the photo unless the actual owner of that photos asks me to.

And actually, I borrowed that photo as a quick reference from the other thread...I didnt post it.

Ive also seen that photo around the internet in varous places.

I also find it disturbing that Sansweet allows photos....and has posed with fans holding his own costume parts, yet is now somehow rattling the saber about not posting photos???? Rather odd move dont you think?

This is a research thread...not a selling thread.

Perhaps I could do a detailed line drawing or invert the photo?

21. JaseTheHACK

Don't be a tool. Remove the photo- you were asked politely.

22. Durasteel Corporation

Do not insult me again.

I have consulted with mods.

Again, I only posted a photo ALREADY floating around the RPF and the internet.

And again, I ask:

-why does Sansweet show off the details of a helmet
    -pose with fans
    -allow fans to hold his collection
    -allow fans to photograph his collection
    -and allow fans access to his collection

-photos like the numerous Sansweet prop photos here me question the demand:
    http://www.toysrgus.com/images-props.html

And now he demands they not be shown? Hmm

Sounds like censorship by certain parties who dont want information disseminated?

23. TK171

TK171 Well-Known Member

My opin.. helmet got squished...and cracked at the bottom forming that lip.

the visor? Heck, look how the DP's warped upward and made it look distorted. I'm under the impression its not 2 halfs.. just re inforcement/bridge so that didn't happen, OR prevent it from happening further (if squished again).. probaly had to re enforce that after the initial sandwich.

You can clearly see a seam in the top dome as well. No way in heck would you form to half domes and seem them together. If you are already forming the rounded dome.. why in 2 peices?? That makes no sense.

I'd say if there are 2 helmets showing this.. 1) they are the same helmet- photos taken at different times (more/less beat up looking and throwing people off)- Look at the Fett helmet and how much the weathering has changed.
    2) or, both helmets (if 2 separate helmets) were packed together when it/they got squished and did the same to both.

If we're going down the coloring version.. probably re-touched after fixing them up a bit.

just my opin....

24. jeezycreezy

jeezycreezy Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, why is okay for some fans to see this helmet and not others?

I would love to see it in person but as I don't live in California, this is no likely to ever happen so pictures that people share are the next best thing.

I don't quite understand what harm could come from my seeing them or why the guy would get upset.

And besides what, exactly, did Mr Sansweet think was going to happen here?

[​IMG]

:rolleyes

I'm not trying to be difficult.

I respect that it's what he asked (in fact, I have removed the same inside image I posted in another thread) and I'm not arguing he doesn't have a right to ask.

I would just like to understand his logic in sharing information with some fans and not others.

Isn't he in charge of fan relations for Lucasfilm or some daft thing after all? Or is it just selected fan relations?

Cheers.
    TJ

25. Durasteel Corporation

I agree Jeeze,

I would actually like some solid proof that he said this as well.

There are several websites with plenty of photos showing Mr. Sansweets collection, and many showning detailed photos of his things.

According to the person who asked me to remove the picture:

Why would Mr. Sanweet get upset? I am baffled as to this.

Why are his other props and parts online to show off to the world??? (its been more than a few hours...more like years)

Hmm

26. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't think you'll get any solid proof nor do I think it's a prerequisite to removal of the photo.

It's obviously Sansweet's item and it's not unusual for him to limit image access. I doubt very seriously he is interested in having the image displayed on a replica prop site. Things have been much sweeter for SW fans since Steve officially entered the picture. The legitimizing of the 501 as a fan group certainly would not have come about like it did were it not for Steve.

As for Toys R Gus, Steve and Gus have been close friends from before the days of the internet which allows a bit more freeboard. Gus launched the first Star wars website that was collector fan related and the contributors to that site are a close knit group which includes our own Balinger15.

Instead of demanding proof he requested the image not be circulated, why don't you get permission to post the image? That is the way it's supposed to work.

Hmmmm

27. JaseTheHACK

Why, what will happen?

One of the owners of the image politely asked you to take it down, explaining that the pic had been unintentionally posted on the internet and that it's appearance online might jeopardise future visits to Steve's place. I took Luuke's post to imply that the same request would be made on any thread or board where those images were posted.

Steve has every right to request that certain images of his property not appear online, and doesn't have to answer to propboys as to why he'd make that decision.

And sorry if I hurt your feelings Drew, sometimes I forget that some people are more sensitive than others.

J

28. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

Back on topic before it's brought down by those who are scared of their own shadows..........I believe the helmet and the chest plate are cracked. It makes scence because of the things that happen durring filming and they are over 20 years old anyway. The crack on the helmet ends near the top also.

29. RKW

RKW Sr Member

The stupid thing here is that Rebelscum has an entire section devoted to a recent visit which includes photos of the Bikerscout helmet. Is it just the inside of the helmet photo thats got peoples panties in a bunch or all of them?

30. aliensarchive

aliensarchive Well-Known Member

Just the inside.

But thanks for pointing out that thread. Great photos...

31. JaseTheHACK

[Edited Vegeta quote from removed post- RPF Staff]

Wow, thanks for your contribution to the thread. I'll take your advice, not because I give a flying copulation about what you say, but because I hadn't realised that this thread was a Durasteel love-in. And honestly, I have better things to do... but hey, you have yourself a blast.

J

32. Durasteel Corporation

Jase, truly, what is it to you?

With all due respect, youre acting rather out of charactor, hurling insults when there is absolutely no reason to. Absolutely none.

I think its fairest to simply say that there are a lot of people who WANT TO KNOW more about this costume, this helmet etc.

This has nothing to do with a love in....rather Im not clear as to why you want to rip me apart for no other reason than my insistance in democratizing information or construction details for everyone.

Again....what is it to you my friend????

Now one last thing....since you seem to be taking aim at me....there is a biker scout thread in the costume form (WHICH HAS BEEN THERE AT LEAST A WEEK) and with more than a handful of sansweet photos....

so why take aim solely at me for lifting a picture to reference what I was talking about?????

33. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Guys,

Let's keep this thread on topic, please.

One nasty post has been removed already... let's try and keep this one about the props, and not about the people posting in this thread.

Thanks,
    Lonnie

34. Durasteel Corporation

IF YOU WISH TO SEE THE INTERIOR OF THE BIKER SCOUT HELMET, CONTACT ME.

I hate any attempt to suppress information....especially on a discussion board.

35. Chrima

Chrima New Member

I was at Steve's recently.

He did not specifically say to not post photos of the inside of the helmet. He did ask that we didn't post photos of certain items (this being one of them).

Whether or not that is his right, don't know. All I know is we agreed not to so I won't be posting any pics.

I can say that the back, of the biker scout helmet is in two parts as is the visor and the dome. The helmet appeared to be made from ABS with texture on one side (the inside).

I was surprised at the quality of the helmet, very thick plastic and well constructed. Had a nice hard hat liner mounted inside and a chin cup/strap as well.

I am thankfull that Steve is so generous in letting so many of us come and view his amazing collection.

36. Durasteel Corporation

Here is a carefully sketched depiction of the inside of the """SSBKH""" :rolleyes

(which does not violate any rules...geesh)

[​IMG]

37. JaseTheHACK

Drew, I apologise for my less-than-friendly posts earlier and I can see that they were a little inflammatory.

J

EDIT- removed reference to a post that has been deleted. Now this thread is getting out of hand and it's becoming increasingly hard to keep up.

38. UKscout

UKscout Well-Known Member

hi guys

guys please can we all get on these boards as it sadends me to see threads like these to get bitchy as we are all pasionate about our hobbies and intrest in these props.

OK to get the thread back on track.....from the pics ive seen so far how meny helmet where ever made?

So far the list below are i think the possible number of helmets that are still in existance from pics ive seen.

1. MOM Exhibit - Split Helmet
    2. Steve Stansweet Personal helmet in his collection
    3. FIDM Exhibit
    4. LFL Original - this helmet could of been sent so S. Altmans & Don Post could replicate

the reason i listed the above is that each of the helmets i've seen from either personal collections on the net or at exhibits have different markings on them i.e different weathering on them.

from past emails I've had with a person who sets up the exhibits props and items do get damaged and require on site fixing.

This could of happen the MOM helmet or again it could be a possible stunt helmet.

39. Durasteel Corporation

Jase I appreciate your reaching out to me. No hard feelings.

On that note, not addressing this to you Jase, I am saddened by the secrecy and clickishness that occurs with these costumes.....as if only some people think they have an exclusive right to information...that I dont agree with.

"The people have decided...we are a democracy...." (not an insiders club) If people want to play insider click crap, go start your own forum...Replica Prop Forum for Snobs.

A handful of the old school snobs still believe in their own elitism. If fate gave you the opportunity to see or handle or obtain original stuff.....dont be a jerk, share it. Chances are, others will share with you. ;)

actually, UKscout, the Steve Sansweet helmet IS split and has those connector plates....

..the sketch above is a 1:1 tracing of the Steve Sansweet helmet.

So we know the Sansweet as well as the MOM helmet is seamed up.

40. jeezycreezy

jeezycreezy Well-Known Member

Probably your best bet is to do a screen cap of one of the bunker scenes where they assembled probably just about every single available stormtrooper and scout trooper and count. There were at least a dozen I would think...although the #41 on the insider of Sweetman's helmet is kind of intriguing, even though I doubt that many helmets were made

Let's not forget about the one in the AOSW exhibit:

[​IMG]

I believe there are several helmets in the LFL archives. Brinn71 was lucky enough to don scout armor and a picture he sent me showed three scouts. (Although for all I know these same helmets might have gone on to various exhibits.)

And as for the topic at hand, a few of us have thought the scout helmet was in two pieces for some time now, but Drew's pictures have been the clearest pictures so far which illustrate this. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.
    TJ

41. Durasteel Corporation

Well to the extent that those seams COULD be vacuformed cuts is not out of the question in my mind to be sure.

The bulge on the back of the helmet would definately require some release.

I suspect the circular plate inside the helmet dome could have been a means to give it rigidity if it were thin plastic as most of these suits are.

The proof would be in examining the top of the helmet....if a seam exists, we can say its definately two halves. If not, and the seam only exists down the front and down the back, we can say it was vacformed as a solid piece but cut/split for releasing it.

42. troopermaster

I beleive it was made in two parts and that's how I making mine.I have sketched full size plans ready to make my templates before I start sculpting.This helmet is just as warped as the stormtroopers :p