BIKER SCOUT DOME: MADE IN TWO PARTS

Durasteel Corporation

I posted these in the other forum, but I reasoned some traffic doesnt always get over there and vice-versa.

So, just for whatever its worth to you biker fans, here are pics I got at the MOM about four years ago...finally found them and posted.

Definately showing the helmet with a seam up the back. Have a look in the costume forum for the bikerscout construction thread.

This two piece construction puts a new spin or possible new way of thinking about OT costume parts.

Enjoy:

sp2_op_800x600.jpg

splitbiker_op_800x600.jpg

One thing does seem clear. ABS or the like can be sanded and well painted to disguise a seam.

I want to now go and take a hard look at some of the best Fett helmet photos as I recall seeing thin edges....even though I pushed the fiberglass helmet deal, I am now wondering.....hmmm.

I'm pretty sure the way that this and the Royal Guards were made is that they were vac-formed in one piece, but then the plastic was cut to get it off of the buck and then repaired.

That is definitely the case. They were cut/split just enough to allow removal and then patched up.

Im not so sure there Gini, first of all, look carefully...its abundantly clear that the helmet is two colors on both halves and its not lighting.

Then take a look at this thread:

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=104674

Photos show bridges way up the helmet's interior, and a large round shaped bridge inside it.

There is even a faint hair seam visible in the back of the helmet, which corresponds to the same split and deliniation line on the MOM helmet.

Two helmets showing this....hard to say its a repair.

Two helmets showing this line and/or evidence of a bridge or brace up that far, makes it even harder to say its just a cut to release the helmet.

Even the visor shows evidence of being seamed together.

splitbiker.JPG

-IF- it is simply a case of splitting the helmet to remove it from the buck....why the hell is it cut up so friggin high? And, why does the visor itself show evidence of a bridge too?

If its a buck removal case, I think these photos show how hard it must have been to remove a vacuformed cast given how high the cuts go....

...I am still searching for a photo I had showing a seam line right over the entire tip of the dome....that would be very insightful to study again.... :unsure

Durasteel Corporation

great pics PLMK if you have any others as I'm a keen scout fan as these guys where to under rated in the films as stormies have always had the lime light from the films :lol

but let put a spanner in the works on this one.:confused

Could this be evidence of a "Biker Scout Stunt Helmet", I've seen serveral pics of just screen used helmet from ROTJ and it dose not have a seem in the back of the helmet.

This could be first evidence that the helmet shown in the above pics from MOM could be a Stunt Helmet. :lol

let me know what you think, great pics tho

Originally posted by GINO@Feb 16 2006, 06:46 AM
That is definitely the case. They were cut/split just enough to allow removal and then patched up.
[snapback]1185828[/snapback]​

Sounds plausible Gino,but doesn't explain the split over the dome and visor.All the scout helmets in the pics I have,the split over the dome can be seen although they have been patched/blended well.

IÂ’d like to apologize in advance for the off topic comment, but I noticed that the MOM biker scout chest plate is also a two part construction.

:confused Not really related to the helmet but just to emphasize the fact that biker scout costume/armor forming or assembling “principles”, might be two parts construction for some parts and some reason :p (at least the MOM version)

Or maybe , like someone said, it's a stunt version.

Cheers

I'd say it looks more like a crack in the lower lip of the chest rather than it being formed in two parts.I can't see any reason why it would be in two parts,looks like it would come off the mould easy enough?

Originally posted by troopermaster@Feb 16 2006, 04:03 PM
I'd say it looks more like a crack in the lower lip of the chest rather than it being formed in two parts.I can't see any reason why it would be in two parts,looks like it would come off the mould easy enough?
[snapback]1186026[/snapback]​

I seem to remember jeezycreezy posting some great pics recently showing it was a two piece helmet. Just can't seem to find the thread :(

I've been in the camp that it was molded in two pieces for a long time. Thought that was the accepted thinking at this point.

wow, cool thread.

Did LFL run out of large pieces of plastic by ROTJ :D

I do have a few more of these photos but they were hard to get from the CD as it freezes up my pc...let me try this weekend.

On the topic of a vacuform split to release the piece, as the circular piece might be a means to stabilize the thin plastic and/or stop the split from splitting....but the fact that its round is odd:

If I might borrow this photo from the other thread...see the bridge piece so high up in the helmet...and the circular plate and you can see a faint crack/seam on this helmet too :

so if we have two helmets with the crack/seams....that makes two.

I think the chinstrap is up inside the helmet sorta throwing us off too btw.

Maybe Brinn71 will see this thread and comment?

He was fortunate enough to wear an original Biker Scout costume in the mid-90's for LFL promotional work... maybe he would've noticed if the helmet had a seam running along it?

Cheers,
John

Maybe Brinn71 will see this thread and comment?

He was fortunate enough to wear an original Biker Scout costume in the mid-90's for LFL promotional work... maybe he would've noticed if the helmet had a seam running along it?

oh thats right, I remember reading about that.

One thing I will note as I remember this....we did not see the crack until I developed (reviewed the photos on my pc) , and more importantly....the two tone look was not even slightly obvious ...why and how the camera caught it, I dont know. Taken with a digitcal camera, thats all I can tell ya.

L,

With all due respect, I am not going to remove the photo unless the actual owner of that photos asks me to.

And actually, I borrowed that photo as a quick reference from the other thread...I didnt post it.

Ive also seen that photo around the internet in varous places.

I also find it disturbing that Sansweet allows photos....and has posed with fans holding his own costume parts, yet is now somehow rattling the saber about not posting photos???? Rather odd move dont you think?

This is a research thread...not a selling thread.

Perhaps I could do a detailed line drawing or invert the photo?

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back