Bigturc's War machine helmet (3D printed)

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Bigturc, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Bigturc

Bigturc Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey guys,

Just received my War Machine helmet from coofunkcurly and Finhead. This helmet is 3D printed directly from the movie file! I spent about an hour with the dremel on this, to remove 90% of the flash .. there will barely be any sanding or putty to do on this .. amazing helmet!!!

I will eventually come back to this one as it needs a little more work and the painting .. but for now, I just wanted to show the pics! The Mark3 helmet is my Suckface helmet which is CNC'ed from the cg file.

EDIT: Unfortunately, my old pic account is dead. All pics have been uploaded here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/bigturc/albums/72157658630089201

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  2. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nice :thumbsup

Look forward to seeing them both finished!

3. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I never realized how much cooler that helmet is than Ironman's. Looks great so far and it looks very clean.

4. Bigturc

Yeah, all the prep is done for this helmet, just need to paint it now! Here's all that went into it.

It is so clean it's ridiculous! No sanding or putty will be needed on this helmet .. best quality prop I've ever ad! I'm a happy camper to have been on this run!!

5. Loogie

Loogie New Member

looks really good can't wait to see it finished :thumbsup

6. ROBOSTEVE 0671

ROBOSTEVE 0671 Sr Member

Nice work by all connected to this. I was lucky enough to get on both these helmets as well. Still need to paint mine also. Will be doing that when I paint my suit.
    Look forward to seeing what you do with these fella.
    Thanks for sharing

7. rensole

rensole Active Member

these look great :O any chance you will be selling kits of these ?

8. Bigturc

Yeah .. I plan to drop both of them in rubber and sell crappy recast on Ebay for about 100$ :)

No seriously, the war machine helmet comes from coofunkcurly and Finhead here on the RPF while the mark III is a Suckface helmet from last year .. or was it the one before that? The runs are all done but watch the junkyard, who knows maybe they'll come back at some point!

9. Bigturc

Hopefully Clinton and Kev are readin this thread.

On the 2nd pic, I'm pointing to the inner lip of the helmet .. is this one supposed to stay there? I'm guessing yes to support the eye panel but I'd like to get this confirmed.

Don't mind the "flash" that I need to remove in the 3rd pic .. but I'm pointing to that same lip that I'm talking about .. remove or keep?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Yes leave the lid there supposed to be a double lip on the WM lid. Here is a few pics of the last one I finished last week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

And one of the Movie promo shot to show the lip your asking about. ;)

[​IMG]

12. Bigturc

Thanks Clinton, that answers my question .. man you're fast!! Best service ever! :)

The cheek plates that came with the helmet, I supposed that the picture below is how we're supposed to attach them .. to the jaw piece and weld it seemlessly in the yellow region? And since that piece is flat, either bend it to fit the helmet cheek are or trim the part where I added the blue lines?

[​IMG]

As for the paint, how do you go about painting this piece? I mean, it's already black, do you prime it black then paint it black after? I'm curious about your strategy on this!

Cheers mate,
    Your tips are very much appreciated,
    Al

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  13. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

YOur pic isn't showing but yes heat up the cheek pieces and form them in once you have the helmet ready to paint or fully built and trimmed. That way you can bend the cheek pieces with the faceplate on and in the proper place and get nice tight fit. BTW make sure and look at the pic I posted of the full helmet I posted it for just that resaon the jaw needs to be spaced out approx 3mm so the faceplate sits correctly.
    As for the black the one I posted is actually charcoal grey not black with stainless steel (color of paint I used) weathering. If you need any more help or pics email me direct I can help you out further. c2hoines@gmail.com

14. Bigturc

Yes, I remember we already talked about the spacing somewhere .. just not too sure anymore where! :)

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  15. Bigturc

Ok guys,
    Here's how I created the gap between the helmet and the jaw. Epoxy 2-parts glue with 3mm acrylic that I cut leaving a 3mm gap all around the outer faces.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Bigturc

Helmet bottom now done. 4 magnets all around the lip! This thing could snap at 1 foot .. really solid grip!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Nice job. Told ya that's all ya needed, don't get your hair caught in there. ;) :cool

18. Bigturc

LOL, don't worry about that one Clinton! :D

Ordering more magnets as I write this!!

19. ROBOSTEVE 0671

ROBOSTEVE 0671 Sr Member

Nice work Al! Thanks for sharing.

20. Bigturc

Thanks Steve!

The girlfriend decided that I had too many uncompleted projects so I need to close the easiest one! :)

21. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

excellent work, you have done exactly the same as I did on mine, even with magnet positioning! Shame I had to sell mine as they are superb helmets, nice job spacing out the jaw too

22. markkNL

markkNL Member

What sort of magnets did you use for this? The small round disks? How thick are they?

23. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

24. markkNL

markkNL Member

Aren't those things a bit too thin? I've ordered a pack of cube magnets, but I'm thinking those might actually be a bit too big.

EDIT: actually, those look not bad. I had miscalculated from inch to cm.

25. Bigturc

Thanks Clinton,
    I'm actually quite close to what Clinton used, under the back, I've used four 1/4" x 1/8" since most of the weight pull needed to be there. While in front, where they attach more vertically, I've used two 1/4" x 1/8" in the lower section and two 1/4" x 1/16" in the shell as I was running out of 1/4 x 1/8 lol. Anyway, these things are so darn strong, I barely even needed to have the 4 in the front section!

And for me, I bought them at http://www.kjmagnetics.com.

26. Bigturc

Cubes are not fun to install in this case. I use drill bits, starts with a tiny one and build up my hole progressively until I get the exact radius of the magnet, then push it in and fix it with super glue. In the case of one of the eight that I installed, I couldn't pull it out after test fitting so I just let it there! :)

I don't really see having invisible magnets installed in cube shape unless you drill the size of the cube then fill with epoxy. Kinda Over complicated imo, but that's just me! ;)

27. Bigturc

Update!

Jaw installed, since I had some weird tappering in the jaw piece, I used rods to realign the helmet on the jaw.

Everything has been epoxied (2 parts) in place, I'll add a strip of fiberglass cloth behind with some Epoxamite for durability later.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

28. Bigturc

As soon as I receive my magnets, I plan on completing that project. Would be nice for once to have something completed on the shelves!! :behave

29. ROBOSTEVE 0671

ROBOSTEVE 0671 Sr Member

I know that feeling mate, great work though on that join above.

I'll email you laters :)

30. Bigturc

Faceplate done! I really didn't want visible helmet but it was impossible for the faceplate unfortunately!

I'm still happy with the result .. these little guys are tough!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

31. Bigturc

Cheek piece fitted with epoxy putty, will add fiberglass backing once set properly to make sure it's rock solid!

I also added epoxy in the top plate as it was really thin and just to make sure I don't break it as it already chipped a little bit from a hit from the faceplate! :behave

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

32. Surreal Studios

Surreal Studios Well-Known Member

Nice work on the sections of that helmet!

33. Bigturc

Thanks Matt! Can't wait to see more work done on your suit!

34. Tony Stark III

Tony Stark III Well-Known Member

so precise man. i love it.

keep rockin.

35. Bigturc

Thanks Tony :)

36. AkiBadtrip

AkiBadtrip Member

Nice helm! Excited for the next update!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

37. Bigturc

Cheek plates backed with fiberglass and EpoxAmite

38. Bigturc

And finally, one everything was hard as stone, I was confident that I could use Evercoat RAGE gold to do a seemless line between the cheek plates and the jaw.

Stay tuned, black primer later today!

39. Bigturc

Top view of how the cheek plates integrate into the jaw now

[​IMG]

40. ROBOSTEVE 0671

ROBOSTEVE 0671 Sr Member

:love Nice work Al

41. Bigturc

Primed!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

42. Bigturc

Thanks mate! Although all merit goes to the nice work Clinton (Finhead) and Coofuncurly (Kev) did on this awesome kit!! I mean, I didn't even have to put ANY putty on this helmet!!!

BY FAR, the best cast I ever received!!! Kudos to you guys!!!

:thumbsup :thumbsup

43. Rdmaul

Rdmaul Well-Known Member

Turc those seems are incredible, very nicely done

44. jamesrickards

jamesrickards Member

Hey great work! - Im building war machine - can you tell me the colours you have used please??? thanks

45. Bigturc

Thanks Rd! :)

I haven't used any yet! Clinton suggested Stainless for the faceplate and charcoal grey for the helmet .. but couldn't find them at my local auto paint store so I went with something else .. which I'll tell later with more pics!!!

Almost done now!!! :love

46. Rdmaul

Rdmaul Well-Known Member

Turc also meant to comment on the magnet placement, I have been looking for a good tutorial for that, I will be using your pics for reference for sure

47. Bigturc

That's why I posted it .. use it at will!!! And those magnets were placed based on Finhead's suggestion .. so really, it all goes back to him!

Clinton, again, big big thanks for your support to your customer .. that's always much appreciated!!! Hopefully, I give a little back with these detailed threads on how I build my stuff!

(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

48. Bigturc

Painted! Really happy with how the color came out .. although a little reflective to my taste compared to screen caps (which are all CGI I think) but I'll do some flat clear coat later (Paint pros : I think that'll work right?!?)

CBGM0340 DupliColor Silver Met (12 WA8535) 047-2567-0
    CBNS0603 DupliColor Steel Grey Met (K50) 047-2672-8

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  49. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Looking good AL, and good on ya for sharing all your tips. If you want that satian finsih when you do your weathering (if you are) and the details on top just coat it with satian clear. Just a few light coats and it'll look perfect. :)

50. Bigturc

Here's a comparison with a screen cap from the Blue Ray movie's extra on War Machine. See, that black/steel color is really messed up .. it's all bumpy, scratched, weathered and really reflective!!!

It kinda looks like the suit came out of a war .. although it's supposed to be shinny new!! Oh well, to each his own interpretation of this! ;)

[​IMG]