Bigturc's Ironman helmet (Brundlefly/Suckface version)

Bigturc

Sr Member
Here's my WIP thread on the Brundlefly/Suckface version of the Ironman helmet. As some of you might know, this is coming from a CGI file from the movie.

The original interest thread was here. The junkyard thread for the first run here.

All high rez pictures can be found here.

Out of the box

Last edited:
First pass to trim the helmet

medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Another trimming pass on the helmet .. I removed thickness in the peak .. I figure it would be more confortable if I ever put this on my head ...

Also worked on the fitting of the faceplate .. it's quite tight on the right hand side of the helmet, the left hand side, not soo much, there's around 1cm that I can't make disappear without going too thin at the bottom of the faceplate.

The neck has also been fitted .. there was A LOT of trimming to do on the neck piece .. mostly at the forward extremities where I removed as much as 1 cm. Also all around the outside lip that fits under the shell where I dig the groove a little deeper as we go towards the ears. It really helped on the general fit. Also, I removed a lot of the ears thickness so that the neck would line up properly with the helmet .. its kinda hard to explain .. but I guess I could draw the areas I worked on if anybody is interested!

The only thing that don't fit great right now are the back of the helmet where it fits the nexk piece .. I guess I sanded off too much material there as I now have a gap .. again, no big deal as it won't show.

Also, the neck pieces curves in at the forward extremities .. so if anybody knows if it's possible to remove that curve? I have never worked with fiberglass but I'd like to straighten them out so that it would fit properly where it meets the under jaw area .. anyone?

medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really nice, i'll see if i can get in on the next run.
You can reshape fibreglass, i have had results heating with a heat gun to get a warp out then cooling in cold water, very dicey though as it can burn, i've heard of people using hot water, but never tried that myself, maybe some of our fibreglass experts can chime in

looking good mate.

alittle late now but it was intentional to make those forward extremities go inside the jaw. that way, you had something to attach magnets to to keep the lower back in place.

Im sure you will get it to work though

I've found through the years you have a window with glass for reshaping. Depends how thick it is and what type of resin was used, standard layup resin can be reshaped the longest. Maybe a few days at most, after that it is too rigid to really do anything with besides cutting and reforming.

Thanks everyone! I plan on shooting some primer on it tonight .. then, its bondo stage!

looking good mate.

alittle late now but it was intentional to make those forward extremities go inside the jaw. that way, you had something to attach magnets to to keep the lower back in place.

Im sure you will get it to work though

Damn .. I should have seen it .. I tried looking at pictures of your master in the thread and couldn't find why it was so long .. I guess that extending part was in the way of my perfect fitting around the ears since it was pulling the piece inside!

Talking of magnets .. which one are a good call for this kind of job? I plan on attaching both pieces to the helmet shell with magnets but I've never worked with earth magnets before .. so any size preferences? I hear they're pretty strong ...

Thanks for the link madcat .. I had no idea Neodymium were a type of rare earth magnets!

So my next question is .. for an application such as holding helmet pieces in place with a strong hold .. what kind of size are we talking about?

Thanks for the link madcat .. I had no idea Neodymium were a type of rare earth magnets!

So my next question is .. for an application such as holding helmet pieces in place with a strong hold .. what kind of size are we talking about?

Got some myself mate and they are around 10 mil across so quite small, perfect for this project as it's the route I'm taking with mine. :cool

ok, so size does matter then? :) Seriously, I take it that size is the only factor for the force of attraction?

I'm also curious to know in what location you're gonna put your magnets?

Did you grab any that were diametrically magnetized or they're all axials? Again, I'm guessing we need the the diam. ones?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back