Bigturc's War machine helmet (3D printed)

Primed!

large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg

:love Nice work Al

Thanks mate! Although all merit goes to the nice work Clinton (Finhead) and Coofuncurly (Kev) did on this awesome kit!! I mean, I didn't even have to put ANY putty on this helmet!!!

BY FAR, the best cast I ever received!!! Kudos to you guys!!!

:thumbsup :thumbsup

Turc those seems are incredible, very nicely done

Thanks Rd! :)

Hey great work! - Im building war machine - can you tell me the colours you have used please??? thanks

I haven't used any yet! Clinton suggested Stainless for the faceplate and charcoal grey for the helmet .. but couldn't find them at my local auto paint store so I went with something else .. which I'll tell later with more pics!!!

Almost done now!!! :love

Turc also meant to comment on the magnet placement, I have been looking for a good tutorial for that, I will be using your pics for reference for sure

Turc also meant to comment on the magnet placement, I have been looking for a good tutorial for that, I will be using your pics for reference for sure

That's why I posted it .. use it at will!!! And those magnets were placed based on Finhead's suggestion .. so really, it all goes back to him!

Clinton, again, big big thanks for your support to your customer .. that's always much appreciated!!! Hopefully, I give a little back with these detailed threads on how I build my stuff!

(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Painted! Really happy with how the color came out .. although a little reflective to my taste compared to screen caps (which are all CGI I think) but I'll do some flat clear coat later (Paint pros : I think that'll work right?!?)

CBGM0340 DupliColor Silver Met (12 WA8535) 047-2567-0
CBNS0603 DupliColor Steel Grey Met (K50) 047-2672-8

large.jpg
large.jpg

original.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good AL, and good on ya for sharing all your tips. If you want that satian finsih when you do your weathering (if you are) and the details on top just coat it with satian clear. Just a few light coats and it'll look perfect. :)

Here's a comparison with a screen cap from the Blue Ray movie's extra on War Machine. See, that black/steel color is really messed up .. it's all bumpy, scratched, weathered and really reflective!!!

It kinda looks like the suit came out of a war .. although it's supposed to be shinny new!! Oh well, to each his own interpretation of this! ;)

Looking good AL, and good on ya for sharing all your tips. If you want that satian finsih when you do your weathering (if you are) and the details on top just coat it with satian clear. Just a few light coats and it'll look perfect. :)

Thanks Clinton!
Yeah, I'll probably weather it a little .. although weathering is my worst nightmare! I always feel like I completely miss my target!!! I'd love to have that brushed look on the faceplate so I'll see about that later! :thumbsup

I guess I can just pickup some DupliColor satin clear then!

Thanks Kev!
Well, I'm almost done, just noticed that I need to paint the "bottom lip" on the helmet to be silver! Totally forgot that one! loll

How much time is safe to wait of the paint to be fully cured? I painted this at around 3pm today w/ DupliColor, is it even cured now? To be able to mask the shell to shoot the silver on it?

3pm as in 6hrs ago? Yes you "should" be fine to mask if the paint wasn't applied really heavy, if it was I would leave it at least over night.
BTW those cheek detail pieces and upper lid section is supposed to be black.

Thanks Kev!
Well, I'm almost done, just noticed that I need to paint the "bottom lip" on the helmet to be silver! Totally forgot that one! loll

How much time is safe to wait of the paint to be fully cured? I painted this at around 3pm today w/ DupliColor, is it even cured now? To be able to mask the shell to shoot the silver on it?

3pm as in 6hrs ago? Yes you "should" be fine to mask if the paint wasn't applied really heavy, if it was I would leave it at least over night.
BTW those cheek detail pieces and upper lid section is supposed to be black.

Yes, 8 hrs here though! :) It was built up in 2 thin layers, so that should be fine!

Yeah, I noticed afterward the cheek being black .. too excited I guess to paint it!! What a newb!! What part is the "upper lid" exactly, is that what I pointed in the attached pic? Did you mean upper "lip" not "lid" .. cause you got me scratching my head now! :)

Any good shot of the top of the real helmet to know how to paint the details? I have no refs from top!

Last edited:
Ok, so I guess, if I just go and paint over the current steel paint, that silver won't come out the same color as the one over the black primer?

So, my guess would be to mask everything that should be black or silver, and prime in black over the current paint. Then mask the cheek and upper lip, and paint silver over the new primer. Does that make any sense? Is there a chance the primer over steel paint over primer won't be as solid?

Yeah, kinda newb question but I painted before, but never know the answer to these kind of questions! :)

Should be fine if you prime it, should be the same as going straight over primer.

Here is about the oly pic I have of the top can't find my good ref stuff after my PC died last year. This is the maquette and It is missing a line which I did a wonderful job of placing in on the second pic. lol ;) It needs to be thinner though like the third pic.

2ufynoo.jpg

2ufynoo-1.jpg

WM1.jpg

Cheers for that! Always wondered what the heck were those red lines!! Now it makes sense that this is the faceplate's track safe sliding zone! Would never have guessed without seeing that perpendicular superbly drawn line! loll

Soooo .. minor set back, will be all fixed by noon tomorrow! :)

Thanks for posting all of the detailed shots of the magnet connection points. That's going to be really helpful to me.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back